ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Mark Levinson Audio?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-13, 08:21 PM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"While parked, on a source with +/-0 Tre +/-0 Mid, +/- 0 Bass at >40 audio loudness, with ASL and DSP Enabled audio distortion occurs."

I find I get the best sound with all three set to their maximum, and typically don't get any distortion even at volume levels approaching maximum when listening to music CDs/DVDs (but with really heavy bass songs, yes, i still will get a bit of distortion at maximum volume). I also find the volume level when listening to CDs to be lower overall (by about 10 points) as compared to satellite radio. so I need to have the volume set in the low 40s to have the same volume level that I have with XM in the low 30s.

Lexus' response to this issue is certainly surprising. My local dealer, JM Lexus, has always given me exceptional customer service, even with regard to this issue. But they admit there is nothing they can do until Lexus Corporate comes up with a fix. After all, what can they do? The current 'fixes' simply don't work.

Since most will agree that the culprit is the sub, the obvious 'fix' for someone who is an audiophile is to replace it. The cost is only a few hundred dollars. While there is not doubt that the owner of a vehicle of this type/cost should not have to do this, for someone who appreciates the vehicle and wants exceptional sound, it may be the best/only choice. Frankly, I am surprised that an audiophile would not expect to do this. And an audiophile would possibly want to replace all the speakers anyway. Because IMHO, even if it did not distort, the bass is not deep enough from the door speaks and sub for a system of this type (factory system even though it is an upgraded system). I certainly hoped for LS quality thumping bass and I just don't think this sub is capable of this. The LS's sub thumps even at low volumes and is totally distortion free at is maximum volume from all its audio sources, with FM providing the best/loudest volume, probably 15 points higher volume over XM. The ES does not 'thump' at any volume from any of its audio sources, even at maximum volumes (keep in mind, it certainly has noticeably better bass than the standard system and when adjusted properly, does deliver really nice sound ).

While I am prepared to upgrade the sub myself and realize that I likely will have to anyway once they really fix it (by replacing the current sub with a functional one), I wait patiently for hopefully Lexus to do the right thing prior to me doing any modification hopeful that their fix will be a real fix and not just a Band-Aid fix. Others who have upgraded already are satisfied with their upgrades, after all, an audio system is only as good as its components - swap out a bad component and the problem is taken care of. the radio does not appear to be the problem. It works pretty well - the speaker(s) are the issue.

Last edited by ElliotB; 05-12-13 at 02:22 AM.
Old 05-12-13, 09:54 AM
DiscoDan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many of us have contacted Lexus? I have not; I will Monday Morning.
We need to let Lexus know that the problem is systemic.
For each one of us that has noticed the problem,
I am sure there are ten who have not.
Old 05-12-13, 10:08 AM
Sandollars
Driver School Candidate

I just brought mine home yesterday ES 300h with ML stereo. It was a special order and landed in the US on May 5th. The sub still distorts even with just 2 clicks increase in bass at level 35. I mean it distorts like it doesn't have enough air to move in.
Old 05-12-13, 10:17 AM
Sandollars
Driver School Candidate

I would be willing to bet the "fix" coming out is limiting the response range in the amp so that the sub never sees 20hz Maybe not even 60hz. That would certainly fix the distortion but it would also make our 4000 dollar stereo sound average in low volumes. It will be interesting to hear the feedback from those of you who are going to jump right in this "fix". I don't think the sub-woofer can handle what the amp is dishing out.
Old 05-12-13, 10:32 AM
Music4ever
Driver

Originally Posted by calm
Music4ever: What did you exactly ask a professional audio reseller to test / perform? Was this performed by a certified technician (to give it some value) and how much did it roughly cost?

I would like to get a similar report for my vehicle as I a firm believer that this provides real evidence versus something subjective of "what I hear".

Lastly, can you post your report with anything personal redacted?
Calm, yes it was done by a certified professional audio engineer, it was not cheap $462.17 dollar to be exact, and I know a sub would have been cheaper but I still have a concern with the warranty. I did want to post the finding but was told by Amy at the Lemon Law office that I cannot as I am asking for Lexus to reimburse me for the monies, and my issue may not be the same as everyone else.

Please note I have taken information of things the engineer look for and put in the report, I do not understand 80% of it and is 6 pages long and most of this was done with a computer at his shop. I am trying to help everyone at what was looked at on my vehicle to come up with a professional report.

If you take your vehicle in to an audio engineer, things to look for Take width, height, and depth measurements, specification sheet to see how much space your subwoofers needs to function promptly, The specification you will want to look for on the head unit is the "output voltage". The minimum is usually 0.5 volts but 2 volts, make sure amplifier can handle the output voltage of your head unit or signal processor, check CD receivers and quality ranges, make sure the FM antenna using what is known as a modulator is working properly, Auxiliary Input working properly, Frequency Response, Line Output Voltage pre-amp line outputs, Power Output amount of power, in watts, that your receiver should be able to deliver to the speakers,USB Input , Bluetooth, very important to check if Lexus claim of Continuous average power, all channels driven, at less than 0.1% THD; 20–20,000 Hz is correct. Output of the speaker pre amp and with amp. Also checked if it was a new amp or was it just a change of setting on the amp to relocate the output

I also question him about converting my mp3 music to Flac or MP3 320 kbps, he informed me once music has been compressed you have lost that information and by converting it to 320 kbps does not mean you are getting the true orginal format. if you are looking for 320 kbps that is how it should be orginaly downloaded or purchased on a media disc.
cheers

Last edited by Music4ever; 05-12-13 at 11:04 AM.
Old 05-12-13, 10:52 AM
Music4ever
Driver

Originally Posted by DiscoDan
How many of us have contacted Lexus? I have not; I will Monday Morning.
We need to let Lexus know that the problem is systemic.
For each one of us that has noticed the problem,
I am sure there are ten who have not.
You are correct DiscoDan, it costs nothing to contact Lexus and address your concerns if everyone does this Lexus will have no choice but fix the issue. Lexus enjoys being on top of the hill as Customer Service oriented company. I would say my experience so for would put Lexus at the bottom of a very deep ditch. Yes, they need to know it is a real problem
Old 05-12-13, 11:05 AM
Music4ever
Driver

Originally Posted by Sandollars
I would be willing to bet the "fix" coming out is limiting the response range in the amp so that the sub never sees 20hz Maybe not even 60hz. That would certainly fix the distortion but it would also make our 4000 dollar stereo sound average in low volumes. It will be interesting to hear the feedback from those of you who are going to jump right in this "fix". I don't think the sub-woofer can handle what the amp is dishing out.
I think you are right, but they still need to make sure the claim of all channels driven, at less than 0.1% THD; 20–20,000 Hz is true.
Old 05-12-13, 11:15 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 661 Likes on 495 Posts

The spec on their website is even better!

This 15-speaker, 835-watt at less than 0.01% THD, 20-20,000 Hz[*] Mark Levinson® Premium Surround Sound Audio System[*] is powered by a 12-channel digital amplifier and features a DVD/CD player.
Old 05-12-13, 12:30 PM
Music4ever
Driver

Originally Posted by Mike728
The spec on their website is even better!

This 15-speaker, 835-watt at less than 0.01% THD, 20-20,000 Hz[*] Mark Levinson® Premium Surround Sound Audio System[*] is powered by a 12-channel digital amplifier and features a DVD/CD player.
What you need to ask yourself Mike728 is it really, that is your opinion and what Lexus claims do believe everything Lexus claims. Do you think the new amp when adjusted still has the same claim? Like I said I am not a professional and that is why I paid a professional to check everything out.
Old 05-12-13, 01:04 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Music4ever
What you need to ask yourself Mike728 is it really, that is your opinion and what Lexus claims do believe everything Lexus claims. Do you think the new amp when adjusted still has the same claim? Like I said I am not a professional and that is why I paid a professional to check everything out.
I don't need to ask myself anything. It's a spec that the amp they tested produced in a controlled environment, that's all. Probably cherry picked. Like any amp, all are not created equal. However, mine must be better than yours.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure the spec I found is wrong. One of their web developers made a mistake. It's listed under the more info tab for the ML and should read .1% THD.
Old 05-12-13, 01:29 PM
Music4ever
Driver

Originally Posted by Mike728
I don't need to ask myself anything. It's a spec that the amp they tested produced in a controlled environment, that's all. Probably cherry picked. Like any amp, all are not created equal. However, mine must be better than yours.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure the spec I found is wrong. One of their web developers made a mistake. It's listed under the more info tab for the ML and should read .1% THD.
So you are the only lucky one on this thread, that the system sounds good Congradulation and your on the wrong thread. All the other people are trying to get our issue resolved. All the amps for the Mark Levinson system for the 2013 es should be the same spec unless Harman goofed

I am sure you're not an audio and technicial engineer for these types of concern, i know i'm not. this is why I paid a professional and do not pretend to know. 80 percent of the report I did not understand.

Last edited by Music4ever; 05-12-13 at 01:35 PM.
Old 05-12-13, 01:30 PM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Music4ever, are you happy with your vehicle aside from the ML radio sub issue?

As far as the website, I'm pretty sure there is a disclaimer pertaining to accuracy for all the information there.

While I am not happy with distortion issue, I found settings that work for me and I rarely experience the problem anymore. I do want my radio fixed, especially considering what I paid for it, but I bought the car for the car, not the radio. I would've spent $500 changing the defective component first before I paid an engineer for a piece of paper - but I suspect you're just trying to get your car bought back.

Last edited by ElliotB; 05-12-13 at 01:33 PM.
Old 05-12-13, 01:46 PM
Music4ever
Driver

Originally Posted by ElliotB

As far as the website, I'm pretty sure there is a disclaimer pertaining to accuracy for all the information there.

While I am not happy with distortion issue, I found settings that work for me and I rarely experience the problem anymore. I do want my radio fixed, especially considering what I paid for it, but I bought the car for the car, not the radio. I would've spent $500 changing the defective component first before I paid an engineer for a piece of paper - but I suspect you're just trying to get your car bought back.
Elliot, yes I do like the vehicle as I have stated before. I would prefer for Lexus to fix the issue instead of buying back the vehicle, that is one of the things I mentioned to Amy at the lemon law office. $500.00 spent for the report was worth it, Lexus corpation has been the worst service I have ever incountered. I drive a lot and my enjoyment is listening to good music that is why I have a huge collection of CD's. If this report help for a resolution then it paid for itself and everyone benefits. At the end of the day a buy back is a pain in the butt, time loss and you have to go through the whole research mode.
Old 05-12-13, 01:49 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Music4ever
your on the wrong thread.
How am I in the wrong thread? From the OP: For those that have heard it in the new '13 ES 350 and 300h, what do you guys think of it?

I'm sorry for those of you experiencing the issue. I'd be upset, too.
Old 05-12-13, 02:01 PM
Sandollars
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ElliotB

I have to admit I agree with you.

Wow! what a sound!

And dang it distorts too soon in my opinion when I turn it up!

You know, when I was a kid, I had a McIntosh pre-amp and a couple McIntosh amps that put out a gozillion watts at some pretty amazing specs for the era. I had them running a pair of Klipsch Klipschorns. I could really crank it and the sound was amazing but they could be easily overloaded with the power I had too.

My complaint is that this system was mated together by the pro himself, presumably tested and should perform better than distorting at 35 volume and plus 2 on the bass. I don't expect it to never distort if I do stupid things with the settings. I just think the sub-woofer is not up the the spec of the rest of the system. "Think", is the key word here and I don't want to spend the money to find out. THAT is what should be on Lexus to do, and then they should make it right by us audiophiles who bought the almost 4000 dollar system.

I LOVE my Lexus! It's an overall amazing car.

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson Audio?