ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Mark Levinson Audio?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-13, 07:18 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 651 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by DirkDirk
I bought a 13 es300h with the Levinson audio. I am very very disappointed with the compressed sound and lack of clarity. I've tried all kinds of audio inputs: CD, Sirius XM, iPod, hd Radio, and none of them sound good. Sounds like a slightly out of tune FM boombox. I've had the dealer check, and confirm that the system is working properly. I don't recommend spending the extra dough for that system
We heard you the first time!

The ML system has the cleanest audio I've ever heard in a car. If your sound is not clear for CD and 256k+ encoded MP3's, you need to adjust your settings. To start, put everything to mid, center the balance and turn off surround. XM will sound like crap no matter what you do. If you listen to hip-hop, or rap, get you amp replaced as mentioned in this thread.
Old 11-06-13, 09:07 AM
1200tec
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so I just bought a 2013 es 350 with the ML sound system, and the bass sounds sloppy, is this in connection to the amp, if so how do i tell if i have the new one over the old?
Old 11-06-13, 10:54 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 178 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by 1200tec
so I just bought a 2013 es 350 with the ML sound system, and the bass sounds sloppy, is this in connection to the amp, if so how do i tell if i have the new one over the old?
If the subwoofer bottoms out and distorts at 40 to 60 volume on heavy bass music, you need the new amp. Read back in the thread to find the part number to give to your dealer so he can order it and install it. My new amp just came in at my dealer and I will have it installed at the end of the month.
Old 11-06-13, 05:15 PM
Idlefree
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Most likely you have the old Amp, Lexus is only changing the amp if request.

On my invoice the identification of the New amp is as follows
SOP NEW Updated AMP with white stamp 86280-0WA70/1 - Exchange unit thru United Radio
Hope this helps
Old 11-07-13, 07:20 AM
1200tec
Driver School Candidate

Called my dealer (Park Place Plano), talked to 3 service techs, none of them has heard about this... they want me to bring it in, so they can "verify". I offered info from here, they said a forum does mean anything. So this should be fun....
Old 11-07-13, 08:53 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 178 Likes on 156 Posts

Called my dealer (Park Place Plano), talked to 3 service techs, none of them has heard about this... they want me to bring it in, so they can "verify". I offered info from here, they said a forum does mean anything. So this should be fun....
They can also call some other dealers to verify it. My dealer is Hennessy Lexus of Gwinnett in Duluth, GA. They are aware of the issue and received a new amp for my car. Lloyd Legette is the Service Manager and he is aware of the amp issue.
Old 11-11-13, 06:24 PM
ls4guy
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DirkDirk
I bought a 13 es300h with the Levinson audio. I am very very disappointed with the compressed sound and lack of clarity. I've tried all kinds of audio inputs: CD, Sirius XM, iPod, hd Radio, and none of them sound good. Sounds like a slightly out of tune FM boombox. I've had the dealer check, and confirm that the system is working properly. I don't recommend spending the extra dough for that system
the reality appears to be grim. the ls is tops followed by the gs when it comes to ml sound. it's hands down - da ****. i decided to try a '13 gx with ml. it had a blown rear spkr but the sound was thin either way. after trading a '12 ls with ml, it wasn't till i traded it that i even realized the gx had ml! that's how anemic it sounded.

so if the es folks r happy with the revised amp, i say enjoy it but it's likely that it can't touch the clarity, and power of 19 drivers in the relatively small space of the ls. hell, when i crank that thing the rear and side views vibrate so much they become useless. it's heaven!
Old 11-11-13, 07:00 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by ls4guy
the reality appears to be grim. the ls is tops followed by the gs when it comes to ml sound. it's hands down - da ****. i decided to try a '13 gx with ml. it had a blown rear spkr but the sound was thin either way. after trading a '12 ls with ml, it wasn't till i traded it that i even realized the gx had ml! that's how anemic it sounded.

so if the es folks r happy with the revised amp, i say enjoy it but it's likely that it can't touch the clarity, and power of 19 drivers in the relatively small space of the ls. hell, when i crank that thing the rear and side views vibrate so much they become useless. it's heaven!
well sure, for an extra 40k i'd expect the stereo to be heaven too.
Old 11-12-13, 02:47 AM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"they want me to bring it in, so they can "verify"."

My dealer did the same thing. My guess is this is how they have decided to handle this problem. Rest assured they will take care of it and you will be totally thrilled with your ML system. I have listed to other ML systems on other Lexus vehicles and have it on our other vehicle, an LS, and this one (one the ES) is superior. Without spending thousands on a custom audio system, it would be difficult to find better!

The quality of the sound ultimately depends on how you set the bass, mid and treble settings, and as well of course the balance. And most importantly, the audio source!

Last edited by ElliotB; 11-12-13 at 01:10 PM.
Old 11-12-13, 08:07 AM
brittmayo
Driver

Has anyone with a 2014 ML system verified that they have the new amp, or does the same situation exist for 2014's?
Old 11-12-13, 12:43 PM
Rhard49
Driver School Candidate

Default ML unimpressive

I've had my 2013 about 45 Days and have to admit I'm pretty unimpressed with the ML System. The Bose in my G35x was at least as good if not better. It is decent but seems to suffer from distortion (muddled) in the midrange and and sometimes shrill just is not what I expected regardless of the source which is most often USB & satellite. Even the Acura Krell system blows it away. Finding an Ultra was tough enough in the first place is the ML only in the Ultra series on the ES350. I 'd like to hear it in a 2014 if they have different amps. My car was manufactured in August.
Old 11-12-13, 12:46 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 651 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhard49
I've had my 2013 about 45 Days and have to admit I'm pretty unimpressed with the ML System. The Bose in my G35x was at least as good if not better. It is decent but seems to suffer from distortion (muddled) in the midrange and and sometimes shrill just is not what I expected regardless of the source which is most often USB & satellite. Even the Acura Krell system blows it away. Finding an Ultra was tough enough in the first place is the ML only in the Ultra series on the ES350. I 'd like to hear it in a 2014 if they have different amps. My car was manufactured in August.
What bit rate is your music encoded at? Listening to XM on a ML is never going to sound acceptable. Also, make sure DSP surround is off and all your levels are about mid. If you listen to hiphop, or rap, you'll need the new amp. Otherwise, you should be fine.
Old 11-13-13, 01:45 PM
1200tec
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mike728
What bit rate is your music encoded at? Listening to XM on a ML is never going to sound acceptable. Also, make sure DSP surround is off and all your levels are about mid. If you listen to hiphop, or rap, you'll need the new amp. Otherwise, you should be fine.
I just took my car in so lets see what they say... judging by the looks and the fact they've had for 4 hours is not a good sign. Also dont be so quick to drop "rap and Hip-hop" into that group. I love bass, I got the ML sound system so I could rock out. I love Dubstep- Chillstep all kinds (i didn't come up with the name) of music, those are bass heavy. My old Honda Crosstour shouldn't be able to out do the ML audio system. With the volume at 35 and the bass 2 from the top it shouldn't sound so damn muddy... not at that level. This is coming in off my iPhone at 196k..
Old 11-13-13, 07:02 PM
Rhard49
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mike728
Most of the USB Stuff is 192k and up 70's Rock through Todays POP 40 some of it converted hdtracks of favorites there is no hip hop or rap. What I'm most unhappy about is there is a decent upcharge for the ML option and that I find myself turning off settings and doing a lot of adjusting from day to day song to song. I admit I do like to listen at fairly loud levels while "Rocking out" I do love music.

Last edited by Rhard49; 11-13-13 at 07:05 PM.
Old 11-14-13, 06:32 PM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by ls4guy

You are very lucky. I have a '12 LS with ML and it's awful. Nothing compared to my previous '08 LS with ML. That car had a much richer sound system. Lexus refuses to fix it.

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson Audio?