ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Mark Levinson Audio?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-13, 02:15 AM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

" I have a '12 LS with ML and it's awful"

I have a 2010 LS with ML and unless you adjust the tone sliders, it does sound anemic as ls4guy mentions. But if you take the time to 'tune' the sound, it actually sounds pretty good. I have found that with all ML systems including the ES (even with the new amp), you can greatly enhance the sound by use of the mid tone control, which in my LS, I have almost all the way to left. This allows the thumping bass the system is capable of to actually be heard/felt. My wife prefers flat sound so I keep it in the middle when she listens.

Last edited by ElliotB; 11-19-13 at 07:29 PM.
Old 11-18-13, 10:55 AM
1200tec
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I got word back from my dealer about the ML problem in my car, interesting to say the least. I attached the invoice so you could see what they said. check out the "note" section. I guess there is a 3rd amp in the works?? Also replaced my cable, even though on the PVC jacket was was rubbed off the cable, was fine IMO however still sounds like muddy water... I told them I'll hang on to the amp I have even though they state the 2nd one sounds worse and wait for the 3rd version.

Old 11-18-13, 03:40 PM
ls4guy
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default whoa

Originally Posted by nsaldanh
You are very lucky. I have a '12 LS with ML and it's awful. Nothing compared to my previous '08 LS with ML. That car had a much richer sound system. Lexus refuses to fix it.
i'm so sorry u're having a problem! so here goes, i bought a '12 ls a yr ago and yes, it had ml. mind u, it's essentially the same equipment as the original back in '07. i had to make a couple upward tweaks with the bass but i had done that with the '07 and my current '13, the major drop from the '07 is the ability to burn directly from a cd to the hdd. granted they got away from hdd's now and in the long run that's better since we have some solid state (old term) alternatives.

so here's a sugg. sit in a plain-o ls and crank that puppy. they're about the same as ml at low vol levels, k. the diff becomes quite apparent when it's cranked. i also sugg some old school tunes. early 70s may be best - why? back in the day, mid to late 60s stereo was just getting its due. it was very new tech. imagine having had mono 4ever and now there twice as many channels that can enhance that same sound! so the artists began experimenting with their options. tunes form that era tend to show off the engineering required to produce MEANINGFUL channel separation while still having full sound. i can tell u, it's pretty much NON-EXISTENT today. they just blast all channels and we're essentially back to mono with superb fidelity but mono nonetheless. yes, there r a few exceptions but very few. they have the equipment, but they just don't wanna spend the energy. i digressed.

bottom line, we have a superb system with some 19 spkrs very capable of distinguishing betw left and right. i don't recall if the '12 has hd radio but that's a nice full sound treat as the rears seem to come into play with hd. still the left / right separation is lacking but it's not the system. i gues it gets back to what it always comes down to - garbage in, garbage out..

. . . don't even let me get started on the quad sound that had a very short life back then. yes we have 5 - 439.1 today but it's not being utilized as it should in tunes. i experienced quadraphonic sound with a gladys knight 8 track. WOW!!

excuse me for this diarrhetic diatribe.
Old 11-19-13, 05:50 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 178 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by ls4guy

so here's a sugg. sit in a plain-o ls and crank that puppy. they're about the same as ml at low vol levels, k. the diff becomes quite apparent when it's cranked. i also sugg some old school tunes. early 70s may be best - why? back in the day, mid to late 60s stereo was just getting its due. it was very new tech. imagine having had mono 4ever and now there twice as many channels that can enhance that same sound! so the artists began experimenting with their options. tunes form that era tend to show off the engineering required to produce MEANINGFUL channel separation while still having full sound. i can tell u, it's pretty much NON-EXISTENT today. they just blast all channels and we're essentially back to mono with superb fidelity but mono nonetheless. yes, there r a few exceptions but very few. they have the equipment, but they just don't wanna spend the energy. i digressed.

bottom line, we have a superb system with some 19 spkrs very capable of distinguishing betw left and right. i don't recall if the '12 has hd radio but that's a nice full sound treat as the rears seem to come into play with hd. still the left / right separation is lacking but it's not the system. i gues it gets back to what it always comes down to - garbage in, garbage out..

. . . don't even let me get started on the quad sound that had a very short life back then. yes we have 5 - 439.1 today but it's not being utilized as it should in tunes. i experienced quadraphonic sound with a gladys knight 8 track. WOW!!

excuse me for this diarrhetic diatribe.
I agree with you 100% regarding real stereo speration and quadraphonic music. I had a quad amp and it was wonderful. Today they have 30 plus channel mixers and it seems the audio engineers are either deaf or too lazy to mix for meaningful channel separation
Old 11-19-13, 06:16 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 651 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by jollick
I agree with you 100% regarding real stereo speration and quadraphonic music. I had a quad amp and it was wonderful. Today they have 30 plus channel mixers and it seems the audio engineers are either deaf or too lazy to mix for meaningful channel separation
Have you heard Dark Side of the Moon on SACD? Awesome surround mix.
Old 11-19-13, 07:42 AM
jollick
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike728
Have you heard Dark Side of the Moon on SACD? Awesome surround mix.
No, I have not, I will have to look on Amazon for it.
Old 11-19-13, 03:13 PM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ls4guy
..................excuse me for this diarrhetic diatribe.
No offense man but it's your typing style not the diatribe that's just hard to read.
Old 11-19-13, 04:13 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

+ 1. I thought it was me.
Old 11-23-13, 12:57 PM
LisaES350
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Though I have not contributed to is thread in awhile, I just wanted to let you all know that Lexus just approved the order of a replacement amp. I hope I am pleased with the outcome!

Thanks for all the input and information.
Old 11-23-13, 03:37 PM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey, does anyone know who makes the premium non-ML stereo? I know that they used to be made by Pioneer.

Last edited by Canesguy; 11-23-13 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-25-13, 08:53 AM
jollick
Racer

This past Friday my Dealer installed the new ML Amp. The sound is excellent. No distortion even at max volume.
Old 12-07-13, 04:43 PM
Sandollars
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jollick
This past Friday my Dealer installed the new ML Amp. The sound is excellent. No distortion even at max volume.
How's your bass though?
Old 12-10-13, 04:36 PM
jollick
Racer

Originally Posted by Sandollars
How's your bass though?
The bass is great, and no distortion even at max volume. (Although you will damage your hearing doing it for a long period of time) You can feel the bass in the doors now and there are no rattles.
Old 12-18-13, 08:20 PM
Robdog1515
Rookie

Hello All.

I have not chimed in to this thread in a long time. I was, to the best of my knowledge the very first 2013 ES 350 owner to have the ML amp replaced with the current (better) amp. In fact I received my amp months before anyone else did. I had ML engineers fly out to Riverside CA and install the amp and have me listen to it.

Now that I have had several months to listen to it here is my quick review.
**I am very happy with the improvement in the sound. however with the bass pushed to the front two speakers the door panels rattle a lot. I do still hear distortion in the rear sub from time to time but not very often. Overall it sounds pretty good.**

Now when I spoke to the ML engineers I told them the diameter of the sub they installed in the 2013 es 350 is way too small for being a shallow mount sub. They need to either replace the sub with a full throw sub or increase the diameter and increase the throw slightly. They agreed. The engineer I spoke to was the one responsible for the current fix told me the entire rear deck would have to be replaced in order to accept a larger diameter sub. That probably won't be implemented, and if it does it won't be until year 2014 or 2015. So I am not sure if this 3rd (not released) amp will do much. But beggars can't be choosers, and I am grateful Lexus followed through as much as they have and given us something that we can at least listen too.

Anyways, still slight distortion in rear sub, lots of door panel rattle, but lots lots more bass and I am happy.
Old 12-27-13, 08:47 AM
LisaES350
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just had the new amp installed and it is so much better! The bass sounds like what I expected from the upgraded ML system.

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson Audio?