ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Lexus Enform vs Toyota Entune

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-12, 12:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Originally Posted by jetman
While I totally respect your opinion, I would venture to say that the dealership experience is a big part of owning a Lexus, and there is a perceived value in the extra pampering you get being a Lexus owner.
Is this your first Lexus? You'll get tired of paying for the experience as your Lexus gets older. I use an independent mechanic now, everything is done within an hour, and its 1/3rd the price. With the savings on just an oil change/tire rotation we can go out to the Capital Grill for a five star meal. I'd rather do that then eat some car dealer omelette.

Hell, I started using the independent guy after I paid $1,000 more for the timing belt replacement than I had to at Lexus. I mean...yeah I got a loaner for 2 days...but had I used my independent mechanic I could have gone away for a nice weekend somewhere.

If the dealership experience were not important, why wouldn't be all be buying Avalons instead of ESes? The Avalon is a fine car (the new 2013 model looks especially nice). Build quality is excellent, it has features even the ES doesn't (cooled - not ventilated - seats, for one), and it costs a few thousand less. But it doesn't come with the Lexus ownership experience.
The ownership experience isn't just about the dealership though.

Why doesn't the average Lexus owner go to the Jiffy Lube for the 30 minute oil change? One thing, the pampering, of course. But for me, it's knowing that my car is going to be serviced by a real mechanic (one of the best in the area), not some grease monkey who might not have finished high school
Actually...a lot of Lexus owners do.

And, your oil is not changed by a master tech or even a tech at Lexus. Its changed by someone with about the same training as a Jiffy Lube guy. They don't have their techs do oil changes. At my independent I get the oil changed by a real tech...because theres only one.

someone who may see a problem developing and not just try to upsell me on a radiator flush.
Jiust wait until your Lexus gets a little older LOL. Lexus dealers are TERRIBLE about upselling, wanting to replace brakes when they're 50% worn, etc.

And when my car comes back it will be freshly washed.
And swirled and scratched. Let the Lexus dealer wash mine one time...$150 to restore the finish to the level it was in when I brought it in.

So I get a free breakfast, I'm not inconvenienced by having the "courtesy shuttle" take me to work (and I don't have to call them to pick me up again) because I have a Lexus loaner (not a Yaris), and my car is nice and clean when I pick it up. This represents value to me. Have I paid extra for it? Yes. Is it worth it? To me, yes.
I can take my Lexus to my independent, rent a Mercedes from NextCar, and go out for brunch at a top restaurant and have it STILL be cheaper.

I used to be a big fan of the dealer experience too, but it is just so expensive that I'd rather use my independent, who has become a friend, and go on a vacation with the savings.
Old 09-08-12, 12:53 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SW10ES
Is this your first Lexus? You'll get tired of paying for the experience as your Lexus gets older. I use an independent mechanic now, everything is done within an hour, and its 1/3rd the price. With the savings on just an oil change/tire rotation we can go out to the Capital Grill for a five star meal. I'd rather do that then eat some car dealer omelette.

Hell, I started using the independent guy after I paid $1,000 more for the timing belt replacement than I had to at Lexus. I mean...yeah I got a loaner for 2 days...but had I used my independent mechanic I could have gone away for a nice weekend somewhere.

And, your oil is not changed by a master tech or even a tech at Lexus. Its changed by someone with about the same training as a Jiffy Lube guy. They don't have their techs do oil changes. At my independent I get the oil changed by a real tech...because theres only one.

Jiust wait until your Lexus gets a little older LOL. Lexus dealers are TERRIBLE about upselling, wanting to replace brakes when they're 50% worn, etc.

And swirled and scratched. Let the Lexus dealer wash mine one time...$150 to restore the finish to the level it was in when I brought it in.

I can take my Lexus to my independent, rent a Mercedes from NextCar, and go out for brunch at a top restaurant and have it STILL be cheaper.

I used to be a big fan of the dealer experience too, but it is just so expensive that I'd rather use my independent, who has become a friend, and go on a vacation with the savings.

Yes,the Lexus service pampering comes at a heavy cost.That novelty wears off quickly after you see the cost of service a couple of times.
Old 09-09-12, 02:23 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SW10ES

Yes the Lexus pampering wears off. .$1000 for timing belt, I remember our LX needed a bellt and other stuff such as water pump and idlers, $3000 at Lexus is what they wanted, I said no thanks.
Old 09-16-12, 03:30 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by jetman
It seems to me that Lexus Enform and Toyota Entune are essentially the same. However, Toyota gives Entune owners 3 years of complimentary apps and data services, while Lexus owners only get one year free. After paying over 45K for a new ES, I think that at the very least we should get the same trial period as someone who buys a much less expensive Toyota. Anyone else think we're getting ripped off?
Yeah your talking about two different things. Enforms a little tricky. With Lexus when you buy the car, you get a full one year complimentary of the "Enform" i.e. eDestinations, Destination Assist, and Safety Connect. The "Enform App Suite" is COMPLETELY different and uses your phones data plan. You have that for the life of the car so long as you have a smartphone
Old 09-29-12, 07:13 PM
jaylexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The cost of Lexus Enform is especially excessive when it doesn't work! I've been calling weekly since August to the Enform Customer Service line because they can't seem to get my subscription straighten out. They've finally got the SOS button to work and the eDestination feature of the car to answer, but I still can't access the features on-line. You'd think with an app this expensive that it would work. I've had 99 cent apps that were better. Even with the app operational, it won't let me create my own route, or save a Google map to Enform (whcih DOES let me create my own route). I wouldn't go to all the trouble but I love my car and want to be able to use the features that I paid for!!
Old 09-30-12, 09:34 AM
CurryPot
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder if I am the only one who has no desire to use the apps. I just wanted a comfortable car with great gas mileage. For me it's just more stuff to get annoyed at when it does not work.

The Enform though is awesome. We've called then over the years and this is how good they are. We wanted to go to a park and it had no address. The Enform guy found it and confirmed there was no actual address. He then found a house at the entrance of the park and sent that to the car. Score!