ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Display Audio vs Nav ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-12, 11:29 PM
uicandrew
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Display Audio vs Nav ?

Does Display audio have any screens for fuel consumption?

I'm contemplating getting Nav because i like the fuel consumption stats and the graph that shows where the energy in the car is going to.

I saw Display audio in the RX350 and it was as basic as i thought, it wasn't a a hybrid.

thanks!
Old 10-04-12, 03:41 AM
steig
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes,
My display audio has a fuel consumption screen and energy screen. Not sure if it different from the NAV screen.
Old 10-04-12, 08:50 PM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

its a smaller screen size and has different menus. It also has a rotary **** instead of remote touch. I havent played with the display audio system but I have seen pictures
Old 10-04-12, 10:12 PM
uicandrew
Pole Position

hey steig, the nav version of the fuel consumption and energy screen appears at the 4:00 mark in this youtube video.

can you comment on the way it looks on your display audio?

i'm debating whether to spend money on Nav. my garmin nuvi is much better but i like fancy screens
Old 10-05-12, 03:44 AM
steig
Pit Crew

The fuel consumption screen appears to be identical. The energy screen may be a little different in appearance, but they show the same thing. They are very close to be identical. Hope this helps.
Old 10-05-12, 03:46 AM
steig
Pit Crew

The nav is a nice option to have, but I use my droid razor for all directions. Plus free updates.
Old 10-06-12, 09:57 PM
uicandrew
Pole Position

thanks for your responses. I think i will eventually get nav. their nav system isn't the best, but the screen is a bit bigger, better rear view camera (wideview), surround sound (vs 8 speaker in Display Audio), and ability to watch dvds while in park is all making me lean towards nav.
Old 10-07-12, 07:13 AM
UncleBen
Rookie

Originally Posted by uicandrew
... their nav system isn't the best...
Just curious - what would it take to make it the best? What are you comparing it with.
Old 10-07-12, 07:56 AM
uicandrew
Pole Position

Originally Posted by UncleBen
Just curious - what would it take to make it the best? What are you comparing it with.
well, i only used it for a little bit while on a test drive, so maybe the features i list are actually there but i just don't know it

1. Lane assist (it tells you on a 4 way freeway what lane to be in) - incredibly useful when you're on a highway system with lots of forks and exits

2. speed limit (it tells you what the speed limit is on a given highway or street) - useful in smaller places where you're the only car around and you don't want to get pulled over by some small town cop.

i'm comparing it to a $200 garmin nuvi that has lifetime free traffic and map updates
Attached Thumbnails Display Audio vs Nav ?-sc-01-lg.jpeg  
Old 10-08-12, 06:22 AM
Texasfarm
Driver School Candidate

I am ready to buy a 2013 ES350 probably with the navigation system. It's not clear to me how the navigation system is superior to separate systems such as smart phones, tablet computers, or standalone (e.g., my TomTom) but the large display seems to be the main feature. Any thoughts?
Question: is there an override feature so that the navigation system can be used (e.g., by passanger) while driving?
Old 10-08-12, 06:43 AM
uicandrew
Pole Position

Well, the only outlet in the front row is in the armrest area in between the 2 front seats. That means that you'll have to run a power cable across the car. But graphically and ease of use makes the portable much better.

I don't know of an override though. Older systems have an override. And you could even watch DVDs while driving with the hack.
Old 10-08-12, 08:25 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,963 Posts

I personally HATE Garmin nav. We have it built in on the Jeep, and I hate the map interface, the cartoony graphics, the route selection is questionable, really dislike it compared to the Lexus nav.

Yes it shows speed limits, and tells you what lane to be in which is cool, but overall the Lexus nav is a big improvement IMHO.

Then theres the fact that who wants to tack some portable GPS on the new beautiful dash?
Old 10-08-12, 09:01 AM
uicandrew
Pole Position

In what ways are the lexus nav a big improvement?

The speed limit and lane assist have practical uses and are features that are useful on a daily basis.

I only used the lexus nav once on a test drive so I'm looking for information, I'm not trying to stir an argument.
Old 10-08-12, 10:18 AM
UncleBen
Rookie

Well, the only outlet in the front row is in the armrest area in between the 2 front seats. That means that you'll have to run a power cable across the car. But graphically and ease of use makes the portable much better.

I don't know of an override though. Older systems have an override. And you could even watch DVDs while driving with the hack.
Not sure I'm with you on this one. Why would any one want to hack a GPS unit to watch a DVD while driving?

I had three different portable GPS units and while these units are nothing like the newer crop of portable devices, I doubt any of them are any easier to use than the on board NAV. Yes, some portables may have a few features that the Lexus NAV will lack; but on the plus side, the NAV's screen large, crisp and clear no matter what the lighting conditions are. The sound is clear, and the voice recognition (albeit not perfect) is capable enough to allow for on a new destination to be set without letting your eyes off the road or your hands off the steering wheel. If music is playing, the NAV will manage both remarkably well, by lowering the media/radio volume sufficiently for the GPS directions to be heard clearly.

How many times have I had a portable fall off the windshield ... I tried the weigted donut ring, which worked OK for a while until the suction cup gave in. Have you ever been startled while cruising at highway speed with a portable suddenly falling off?

I realize that there are pros and cons for both. Personally, the benefits of the on board Lexus NAV far outweigh any additional features that a portable may have.
Old 10-08-12, 10:55 AM
UncleBen
Rookie

well, i only used it for a little bit while on a test drive, so maybe the features i list are actually there but i just don't know it

1. Lane assist (it tells you on a 4 way freeway what lane to be in) - incredibly useful when you're on a highway system with lots of forks and exits

2. speed limit (it tells you what the speed limit is on a given highway or street) - useful in smaller places where you're the only car around and you don't want to get pulled over by some small town cop.

i'm comparing it to a $200 garmin nuvi that has lifetime free traffic and map updates
Speed limits - yes, useful, but certainly not essential. I can see the posted speed limits. As for the Lane Assist, the Lexus NAV screen splits in two sections when approaching a freeway exit on your route, with the left side showing the map, and the right part of the screen showing a close up of the approaching lane geometry with a clear indication as to which one to take. But again, that's a matter of opinion.

As for the map update warranty, I guess it's a bit of a bonus, although the so-called warranty is subject to two conditions. First, the map provider must provide the updates for that specific product; and then the said product must not have exhausted its useful life (whatever that is!)

Any way, I have nothing against Garmin, quite the contrary. I used them before, both in the car and on the boat. But I like the Lexus NAV better, in spite of the few additional goodies that the portables can offer.

Quick Reply: Display Audio vs Nav ?