ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

New Model Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-12, 06:07 PM
Jboswald
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2013 es300h. The enform app quit working when I upgraded to a iPhone 5 with IOS6. It crashes when invoked on the phone (creates a crash record on the phone). No updates yet in the App Store.
Old 10-24-12, 12:56 PM
jlaisle
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by amphipri0n
Curious if this happens in all drive modes? (ECO/NORMAL/SPORT) ?
I have now tried my 2013 ES 350 in all three driving modes and find that the transmission downshifts between 35 and 40 in all three modes. I like the car otherwise, just find the downshift inappropriate as I would expect the car to coast when I take my foot off the gas pedal.
Old 10-24-12, 01:57 PM
uicandrew
Pole Position

Keep in mind, the hybrid has cvt so there's no such thing as downshifting in the hybrid.
Old 10-25-12, 04:20 AM
UncleBen
Rookie

That's right, someone else pointed that out to me in another thread.

No downshifting, no kickdown, which are the reasons I have always timid about buying a hybrid. I've never been an aggressive driver, and I'm certainly not about to become one at 64. But I had to near road mishaps in my life that would have resulted in either death or very serious injuries, both of which were avoided by being able to get out of the way quickly. That's the thing that scares the hell out of me with hybrids, not being able to get out of harm's way. Sure, I'd like the fuel economy too, but ...
HTH.
Old 10-25-12, 06:39 AM
uicandrew
Pole Position

I think the improved handling would lend itself of getting out of the way quickly, along with the extra torque that the electric engine provides. A useful test would be comparison of 40-60 instead of 0-60mph. But I'm not a car person so I'm not sure how much of a difference the torque makes
Old 10-25-12, 06:49 AM
Briano7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by UncleBen

No downshifting, no kickdown, which are the reasons I have always timid about buying a hybrid. I've never been an aggressive driver, and I'm certainly not about to become one at 64. But I had to near road mishaps in my life that would have resulted in either death or very serious injuries, both of which were avoided by being able to get out of the way quickly. That's the thing that scares the hell out of me with hybrids, not being able to get out of harm's way. Sure, I'd like the fuel economy too, but ...
HTH.
Have you test driven the ES300h? I asked the salesman if it was a six cylinder and he said no but I had to check the sticker myself. Great acceleration for a four cyinder IMHO.
Old 10-25-12, 07:39 AM
MY100thcar
Driver

Originally Posted by Briano7
Have you test driven the ES300h? I asked the salesman if it was a six cylinder and he said no but I had to check the sticker myself. Great acceleration for a four cyinder IMHO.
The electric motor adds Instant no lag power to the gas engine.
In the sport mode it feels even better.
Old 10-25-12, 07:40 AM
Tribob
Driver School Candidate

Default Fwiw

FWIW I traded a 2005 ES330 for the EH300...The EH is quicker on accelaration and is better handling therefore better in quick avoidance manuevers.
Old 10-25-12, 07:41 AM
Tribob
Driver School Candidate

Default For what it is worth ES330 vs. EH300

FWIW I traded a 2005 ES330 for the EH300...The EH is quicker on accelaration and is better handling therefore better in quick avoidance manuevers.
Old 10-25-12, 08:43 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleBen

HTH.
Like I told you in the other thread, not sure if it was here or at the LOC, acceleration response is really not an issue with a hybrid or any vehicle with a CVT. The 6 speed car has 6 gears, 6 gear ratios that the transmission decides when to use depending on the load situation and acceleration demand. A CVT has a infinite number of gearing options, and the gearing is customized to every load situation and acceleration demand. That coupled with more low end torque makes a hybrid with a CVT actually more responsive off the line than a vehicle with a standard automatic transmission.

I personally don't like CVTs just because I dont like the way the power is delivered, or the way they cause the engine to drone, but from a safety perspective there is no issue.
Old 10-25-12, 09:59 AM
uicandrew
Pole Position

I have a 09 Camry hybrid with cvt and test driving the es300h in sport mode made me swear. It threw me back into the seat when I pressed on the accelerator going from 30 to 50. The salesperson chuckled
Old 10-25-12, 10:56 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Lexus estimates a 0-60 time of 7.1 seconds for the ES350 and 8.1 on the hybrid. I thought they might be a little closer.

Both are probably estimated on the conservative side.
Old 10-26-12, 04:25 PM
gappell
Rookie

I also purchased one of the first 2007 ES350's with every option available. I filed a lemon law complaint after numerous attempts to fix the pre-collision radar cruise control. They did fix it and gave me a platinum warranty for my troubles. I will wait until next year so things can shake out. However, the 2007 was a radical change. The 2013 is a minor change and very disappointing.
Old 10-26-12, 05:10 PM
uicandrew
Pole Position

Gappell, in what sense is 2013 a minor change ? There's an all new interior and exterior.

The only thing that stayed the same is the engine for the es350
Old 10-26-12, 07:10 PM
jetman
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gappell
The 2013 is a minor change and very disappointing.
Couldn't disagree more here. Difference is like night and day, both inside and out.

Quick Reply: New Model Problems?