ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

scuff on dash board

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-12, 09:10 PM
bluesi808
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Default scuff on dash board

does anyone know how to hide or fix a scuff on the dashboard, its on the nuluxe leather at the very top of the dash near the stitching. i tried to rub it using a wet microfiber cloth, all i did was make it bigger, i tried lexol cleaner and conditioner and that doesnt work. its not a stain but basically a scratch. any advice would be appreciated. its pissing me off so bad i want to replace the whole thing, but lexus advised that top part can only be bought with a new dash.
Old 11-24-12, 09:06 AM
UTAS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I doubt anyone is willing to touch this, but here goes: Since it is imitation leather, I would go to the Lexus dealership first to hear what they might say (looks as though you already did that, and they are unwilling to touch it, as well, it appears). The imitation leather is probably plastic-based. You might also want to contact Lexus corporate in Torrance, CA, before a further botch-up occurs. See what they say.

Off the wall suggestion: Varathane makes a scratch repair pen for wood floors (I know, I know - it's a Lexus, not a piece of oak); this product has a polyurethane base that "may" work. Since you already rubbed the area, doubtful it can get much worse - use a very fine applicator, like a toothpick or ear bud to try to fill in the scratch.

Another better possible solution, since the scratch has "spread" by rubbing: Apply a couple coats of Armor-All upholstery coat on the dash; they make wipes that are arguably less messy without over-spray - do get the "non-gloss" product to avoid being blinded by the sun afterward.

If it were me, I would have left it alone and allowed other scratches to gradually accumulate over time, which is still a possible solution. Otherwise, like the Lexus dealership suggested, a new dash is in the mix - depends on how bad this bothers you. Good luck with this.
Old 11-24-12, 09:33 AM
MikeP
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Have you tried a shoe repair shop, an upholsterer or saddle shop? These professionals deal with this type of material and would probably have the best suggestions as to a repair. Good luck and I, for one, would be interested in any advice you might get, especially if it leads to a solution.
Old 11-24-12, 09:33 AM
sessionstu
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar experience when I picked up my ES300h. There were several surface scratches on the dashboard, just to the right of the speedo. Needless to say I wasn't thrilled. I discovered it the next day as I picked it up at night. I brought the car back to the dealership and in about twenty minutes this amazing lady had fixed it. She used a flat black paint to fill in the scratches. I was thinking about using black shoe polish. When I told her my idea she gave me a public scolding. She nearly took away my keys. She said the shoe polish would have given the dash a shiny spot, which would have looked a lot worse. Makes sense now.

My advise is to bring it back to the dealership. Ask them if they can fill in the scratches like the artisan at my dealership did. Lexus of North Miami.

Good luck.
Old 11-25-12, 10:42 PM
bluesi808
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

thank you guys for the feedback, i have tried lexol and it kind of disguised it. but it irratated the hell out of me so i was going to just pay to get it replaced, so i went to the parts dept to order another dash. but they dont have any part number on it yet, as its so new. but the parts guy told me to call dr vinyl. he can basically re-dye leather/vinyl. its basically a spray type of dying(airbrush) so i have an appt in 2 weeks so he can color match and blend it in. will post some results there after