ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Rattles

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-12, 10:25 PM
UTAS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Arty101
Good sleuthing job UTAS. I might suggest using black felt, or use black marker on the beige felt to make it inconspicuous.
Thanks.

Since it's in the trunk, it can be plaid for all I care. I will use the same around the beige seat buttons, b/c these seem to be a bit sloppy - plastic-on-plastic. Color is a good match here.
Old 12-08-12, 05:12 AM
MikeP
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by UTAS
@ MikeP -

I believe I have solved the rattle in my ES300h - it was an errant, on-again-off-again rattle, and it seemed to originate from the trunk area on the driver's side. The Lexus dealership could not find it - they had the car for ten working days, and each time they test drove the car, it was quiet. When I took it there, it was rattling - until I accompanied the service tech, and from that time forward for the next couple weeks it was quiet. Very frustrating.

Tonight I think I found the source. I have this link for your perusal - hopefully it will help others who might have the same issue (I have included subtitles to describe the problem and solution):

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resi...A0DzFGpTzMZBpM

I hope the above link works - let me know if it does not.

Regards,

UTAS
I can imagine finding the source of your rattle and fixing it contributes to a much more enjoyable feeling about your car. Now when you get in and drive off, you don't have to grit your teeth waiting for the rattle to start. Congratulations and all I can say, is wish it was me. I'm still in the same boat as you before your fix. I never know when the rattle will start, or if it will start, so I can't bring it in to get diagnosed and fixed. I especially would not leave my car for any length of time since this service department damaged my previous car twice. Please don't recommend taking it to another dealer because I don't have that luxury. I'm hoping I will stumble across the source of the rattle and figure a way to silence it.
Old 12-08-12, 10:09 PM
UTAS
Driver

Cool Rattle? Headliner in back / moonroof retractor?

Originally Posted by MikeP
I can imagine finding the source of your rattle and fixing it contributes to a much more enjoyable feeling about your car. Now when you get in and drive off, you don't have to grit your teeth waiting for the rattle to start. Congratulations and all I can say, is wish it was me. I'm still in the same boat as you before your fix. I never know when the rattle will start, or if it will start, so I can't bring it in to get diagnosed and fixed. I especially would not leave my car for any length of time since this service department damaged my previous car twice. Please don't recommend taking it to another dealer because I don't have that luxury. I'm hoping I will stumble across the source of the rattle and figure a way to silence it.
@ MikeP - Try this on your ES300h: That rattle I had, although thought to be the hinge loop for the cargo net in the trunk, well, today the phantom rattle returned with a vengeance. So I sat in back while my better half drove: I placed my hand on the headliner just behind the driver seat, and voila! I could "control" the rattle. It appears that there is a loose gizmo just above the area on either side of the courtesy light in back. One can bounce the headliner a bit, and a simulated rattle will occur - my guess is it has something to do with the moon roof retraction mechanism above and around that area. Honestly, I am a bit disappointed in the factory QC that missed this. So. Come Monday, I will again talk with the kind service people at Lexus of Naperville; but this time I will demonstrate and simulate the source of "el rattle."

A headliner issue on a new Lexus? Really? As they say on that football program, C'mon, man!

Good luck, MikeP.

Last edited by UTAS; 12-09-12 at 04:54 AM.
Old 12-09-12, 05:19 AM
MikeP
Advanced

Sounds like the same roller coaster I've been riding on. When the rattle is quiet, I really love this car. It is everything I expected of it, quiet, responsive, comfortable, economical, and great looking. When the rattle starts, I start gritting my teeth and can't concentrate on anything else. I can also control the rattle, at least stop it, by putting light pressure on the top of the dashboard by the A pillar on the driver's side. I suspect it is a loose clamp that attaches one part of the dash panel to another part.

My problem, like yours, is the rattle is intermittent and can't be initiated at will so I can point it out to a tech. I am also afraid that if the dash has to be disassembled to find or stop this rattle, another will be created. I know at some point I will have to bring it in for an attempted repair, but I'm not yet ready to chance having an additional noise. I'll keep my hand on the corner of the dash so I can either give it a whack, which sometimes stops the rattle, or to apply some pressure. Keep us posted on any progress getting yours fixed.
Old 12-14-12, 07:36 PM
UTAS
Driver

Default Sound of silence

Ah. Silence is golden, indeed. (Pls refer to my previous posts in this thread).

The rattle is gone. Lexus of Naperville did the required work in the headliner, nearby the courtesy light in back, and no more errant rattling. Clean and well done, kudos to the service personnel at L of N. Commendation letter on the way.

Very nice, quiet ride now.

Old 12-14-12, 08:35 PM
MikeP
Advanced

Originally Posted by UTAS
Ah. Silence is golden, indeed. (Pls refer to my previous posts in this thread).

The rattle is gone. Lexus of Naperville did the required work in the headliner, nearby the courtesy light in back, and no more errant rattling. Clean and well done, kudos to the service personnel at L of N. Commendation letter on the way.

Very nice, quiet ride now.

Great to hear your successful result. I'm very happy (and jealous) for your peace & quiet.
Old 12-15-12, 08:54 AM
UTAS
Driver

Originally Posted by MikeP
Great to hear your successful result. I'm very happy (and jealous) for your peace & quiet.
Well, MikeP, I am hopeful that one day your noise issue will be found, and when found, then corrected

Finding the source will take much persistence and time - and perhaps another set of ears in the ES during a ride. The Lexus dealership here in Naperville is top notch. Although I did all of the discovery work, they were very accommodating, willing to listen and observe, friendly and professional.

Here's wishing your experience and eventual solution will have the same result - sounds of silence.

Old 12-21-12, 01:03 PM
ALIGN
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got this same rattle too as MikeP. It is driving me crazy. It only rattles at low speed. It doesn't do it when you park your car under the sun, for some reason it only does it early in the morning when the interior is cold.

I know I hear it from the corner (pillar and dash) but I doubt it is coming from there. The sound could be just bouncing from somewhere, On my Mercedes I have similar rattle, I thought it was coming from the dashboard, it turns out the rattle was coming from the bottom passenger seat drawer.
Old 12-21-12, 02:43 PM
MikeP
Advanced

Originally Posted by ALIGN
I got this same rattle too as MikeP. It is driving me crazy. It only rattles at low speed. It doesn't do it when you park your car under the sun, for some reason it only does it early in the morning when the interior is cold.

I know I hear it from the corner (pillar and dash) but I doubt it is coming from there. The sound could be just bouncing from somewhere, On my Mercedes I have similar rattle, I thought it was coming from the dashboard, it turns out the rattle was coming from the bottom passenger seat drawer.
I can temporarily stop the rattle by either banging on that corner of the dash with my fist or by inserting a credit card between the dash and A pillar trim. The rattle is still not "dependable" enough to take it in and be assured I can duplicate the noise. I am also hearing a rattle in the passenger door. Definitely very aggravating. I thought I was too smart to buy a first year model. Boy was I wrong.

One hope, now that you have a rattle in the same place, is possibly it is a common problem and if enough owners complain to their service departments, a fix will be forthcoming.