ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Got broken in

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-13, 01:28 AM
Kabajaro
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Got broken in

She was less than 900 miles before got broken in at a restaurant's parking lot after my friends and I came back from a close friend's mother's funeral.
So to celebrate New Year, someone completely destroyed my passenger's glass and took a backpack containing one Mac Pro and a Sony tablet; it was so careless of me that I completely forgot my friend had shoved his black backpack under the glove box . The burglary occurred within the two hours of us dining and the burglar did have some trouble with the tints so he pulled the whole thing out (glass and tint) and kicked it under the car making my side door looks horrible and I hope there isn't any major cut or scratches. The police finally arrived after one hour of waiting and during that time we found a fingerprint...and it was proven useless by the officer.
This all happened after my detailing products arrived from Meguiar's and Wolf's Chemicals. I was debating whether to strip her this weekend and detail her myself or wait for a few months for Lexus' protective layer to die out so my dealership doesn't feel bad but I guess I don't need to anymore.
So now I have a few questions I hope CL could help.
1: How much does Lexus usually charge to fix a broken glass door.
2: I've never had previous experience with detailing before but I've read a lot of CL detailing threads and noted everything down step-by-step, so is it safe to self-detail my new ES350 or should I bring her to a professional? (Because I really don't know any in the Greater Houston area).
3: Has anyone gotten a similar unfortunate incident like this and talked to the insurance and have them fix it and is it cheaper than Lexus' service? I heard from the officer that we might get reimbursed for the loss (my deductible is $1,000 and the Mac Pro costs $2,000 (2, 3 years ago) as well as the $300 Sony tablet and a decent-priced backpack).
4: What are the extra security features should I take to prevent this from happening again in the future? Should I buy the Viper or place dash cams around the inside?

Thank you very much for reading and answering. I'm sorry if it doesn't make much sense because the topic jumps around but I am very tired, sleepy, upset, and depressed at the same time so my brain doesn't function well.
Attached Thumbnails Got broken in-img_0485.jpg   Got broken in-img_0486.jpg   Got broken in-img_0489.jpg   Got broken in-img_0491.jpg  

Last edited by Kabajaro; 01-04-13 at 01:34 AM.
Old 01-04-13, 02:24 AM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to hear about your loss. The 'good news' is that your insurance company will take care of everything. Call them.
Old 01-04-13, 04:50 AM
rtrider
Driver School Candidate

As Elliotb said, call your insurance company before doing anything. Comprehensive insurance sometimes has a lower deductible than collision. Your damages, property included, are easily well above your stated deductible. Hopefully you have a good relationship with your agent and they'll work for you in this matter.

Sorry to hear about this event, and fortunately no major damage or personal injury. Not the way you want to start the new year for sure.
Old 01-04-13, 06:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

That sucks...people are unbelievable.

Yes, call your insurance company. Your comprehensive deductible may be lower. If its not, you should reduce it. Comprehensive deductibles don't affect premiums the pay collision deductibles do. Mine is $50 and it only adds a few dollars per year to my premium, my collision deductible is $1,000.
Old 01-04-13, 07:02 AM
LisaES350
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't really have advice but just wanted to say sorry. My ES has an "alarm" that arms after 45 seconds but have wondered if it really was indeed an alarm.

Keep us in touch as to what the insurance says and what the fix is.
Old 01-04-13, 07:03 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I can't believe the alarm didn't go off...
Old 01-04-13, 07:11 AM
DASMan
Rookie

Soo sorry to hear about your troubles. There is a separate glass break sensor that is an orderable option that is tied into the alarm. It is supposed to help prevent these type of breakins where the glass is hit as it is tuned to trip the alarm when someone hits the glass with something. I would suggest that you see if the dealer can install the option for you.

Last edited by DASMan; 01-04-13 at 01:05 PM.
Old 01-04-13, 07:15 AM
lemon397
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ouch! Does the restaurant have cameras in the parking lot?
Old 01-04-13, 07:37 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by SW10ES
I can't believe the alarm didn't go off...
Unless they have the glass break sensor option, and they did not open the door, it will not go off. It is best to always leave items in the trunk, out of sight, out of mind.
Old 01-04-13, 08:03 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Sounds like the glass breakage sensor is something worthwhile.

You would think any "car alarm" would include a glass breakage sensor.
Old 01-04-13, 01:23 PM
Kabajaro
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lemon397
Ouch! Does the restaurant have cameras in the parking lot?
Unfortunately no. However, the building next to it does but it was pointing in another direction.
Originally Posted by rtrider
Sorry to hear about this event, and fortunately no major damage or personal injury. Not the way you want to start the new year for sure.
Yea that's a good thing no one was hurt but poor guy got his important documents on the laptop. Surely was not the way all 3 of us want to start 2013 with...
That sucks...people are unbelievable.
This is why we can't have nice things anymore. I am so thankful that these idiots aren't violent and just took what they want...otherwise I'd end up worse.
You would think any "car alarm" would include a glass breakage sensor.
Right? I thought about getting the GBS but then again I don't want a hey-someone-hit-and/or-broke-your-glass alarm but a hey-someone-is-about-to sensor. I wish there's some kind of proximity alarm sensors.
-----------------

Thank you for the advice guys, I did call the insurance but they didn't help a whole lot and it'd be better/cheaper to just keep them away so they won't raise it.
So after about 20 calls back and forth between different places I bought the glass from Sewell and have it shipped home then call Texas Auto Glass and have them come over to fix it. Apparently my dealership called these people in to do the tinting and install stuff like this so it's a little cheaper to go straight to them; they were pretty nice and were going to offer a special for Lexus customers but the parts aren't in so...there was no special.
I was quoted $496.04 for the glass and +/- $200.00 for the labor from my dealership (and $486 from the other) while TAG gives me $441.21 and $100 for the glass and labor respectively. I asked TAG to stay on hold while I dig around and thanks to CL I got a huge discount over at Sewell for about $322.74 plus 2-day shipping.
Looks like if you ever needed something like this fixed and I hope you won't ever do, it's better to find out who Lexus called to their shop and contact that guy, chances are it'll be cheaper and faster.
Old 01-04-13, 03:23 PM
Cin8
Driver School Candidate

I'm so sorry this happened to you!! Hope all goes well with the repair.
Old 01-04-13, 04:32 PM
mrBillFL
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

fwiw, chk cowboom.com for cheap used electronics...