ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Anyone heard this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-13 | 04:20 PM
dCota
Rookie

Question Anyone heard this?

Hello all.

Well, I've had my '13 ES350 for just over two months, and completely love it.
I do, however, have an issue that seems to have come up in the past couple of weeks --- planning to take it in this weekend to have it looked at, but thought it might be worth it to mention here.....

I've noticed a fairly subtle "whining" sound when I accelerate, say from a stop light. I don't punch it, but tend to simply accelerate smoothly -- not too quick, not too slow. The only way i can describe the sound is to compare it to the sound you hear when someone's power steering is going out........something of a whine. Now, the whine I'm hearing is not nearly as dramatic as that of someone whose power steering is going out, but it's definitely noticeable.

Anyone else experience anything like this?
Certainly seems very odd to me --- particularly for a brand new car.

Like I said, taking her in to have her looked at this weekend, but any comments/thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
-dCota
Old 01-15-13 | 06:25 PM
lemon397
Rookie

behavioral feature of hybrids. you'll have almost the same sound when you brake. you can get it checked but the dealer will say the same thing. The sound comes from the electric engine and mechanical parts.
Old 01-15-13 | 07:21 PM
MY100thcar
Driver

Originally Posted by lemon397
behavioral feature of hybrids. you'll have almost the same sound when you brake. you can get it checked but the dealer will say the same thing. The sound comes from the electric engine and mechanical parts.
dCota has a ES350.. Not a Hybrid ES300h.
Old 01-15-13 | 08:10 PM
rtrider
Driver School Candidate

Do you hear it in all 3 drives modes? I haven't heard it, but will listen for it.
Old 01-16-13 | 02:46 AM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Is this a 'new' sound or did your vehicle always have this sound?
Old 01-16-13 | 05:40 AM
Mike218
Rookie

I have always heard that sound in my Acura TSX. I have 102,000 now and never a problem.Other people don't hear it.

Getting closer to my Lexus
Old 01-16-13 | 07:03 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MY100thcar
dCota has a ES350.. Not a Hybrid ES300h.
That is my understanding too.
Old 01-16-13 | 08:09 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

It's totally normal noise from the electric motor/generators. You'll notice it mostly when it's quite and accelerating very slowly or slow speeds when the ICE (internal combustion engine) is off.
Originally Posted by dCota
Hello all.

Well, I've had my '13 ES350 for just over two months, and completely love it.
I do, however, have an issue that seems to have come up in the past couple of weeks --- planning to take it in this weekend to have it looked at, but thought it might be worth it to mention here.....

I've noticed a fairly subtle "whining" sound when I accelerate, say from a stop light. I don't punch it, but tend to simply accelerate smoothly -- not too quick, not too slow. The only way i can describe the sound is to compare it to the sound you hear when someone's power steering is going out........something of a whine. Now, the whine I'm hearing is not nearly as dramatic as that of someone whose power steering is going out, but it's definitely noticeable.

Anyone else experience anything like this?
Certainly seems very odd to me --- particularly for a brand new car.

Like I said, taking her in to have her looked at this weekend, but any comments/thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
-dCota
Old 01-16-13 | 08:15 AM
lemon397
Rookie

Originally Posted by LexBob2
That is my understanding too.
Mine too... lol
Old 01-16-13 | 08:29 AM
MY100thcar
Driver

Originally Posted by Cruiter
It's totally normal noise from the electric motor/generators. You'll notice it mostly when it's quite and accelerating very slowly or slow speeds when the ICE (internal combustion engine) is off.
Did you read his post?

He does Not have a ES300h.
He has a ES350.
Old 01-16-13 | 01:16 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Oops, missed that. He posted in the hybrid threads so I assumed he had a hybrid.
Originally Posted by MY100thcar
Did you read his post?

He does Not have a ES300h.
He has a ES350.
Old 01-17-13 | 03:57 PM
dCota
Rookie

My apologies........didn't realize I'd posted in the Hybrid thread....
But correct -- I do not have the 300h.

The sound is new -- not quite two weeks since I first started hearing it, and today I think it's much more evident/louder. I hadn't previously checked to see if I could hear it in ECO/Sport modes, so I tried this today......still there. And on top of this, something new today -- at two different times today, while sitting at a stop light, I noticed the idle wasn't smooth.....very subtle, but I could hear and feel it. I immediately looked at the tach, and sure enough --- the needle was moving ever so slightly up and down. At subsequent lights, the idle was perfectly smooth. The car was fully "warmed up" on both occurrences, so I know it wasn't because the engine was cold (though I still wouldn't expect this even if it had just been started...). VERY odd.

She's definitely going to the service department Saturday. I sure hope this isn't a sign of things to come --- my first Lexus, and only 1130 miles.

Will let you all know what I find out!

-dCota
Old 01-17-13 | 05:03 PM
MY100thcar
Driver

My apologies........didn't realize I'd posted in the Hybrid thread....
But correct -- I do not have the 300h.

-dCota
This is NOT a Hybrid only tread, It is for ALL 2013+ ES350 and ES300h models.

You are in the Correct tread, so no apologies needed !
Old 01-18-13 | 08:48 AM
amphipri0n
Pole Position

The sound is new -- not quite two weeks since I first started hearing it, and today I think it's much more evident/louder... And on top of this, something new today -- at two different times today, while sitting at a stop light, I noticed the idle wasn't smooth.....very subtle, but I could hear and feel it. I immediately looked at the tach, and sure enough --- the needle was moving ever so slightly up and down...

She's definitely going to the service department Saturday. I sure hope this isn't a sign of things to come --- my first Lexus, and only 1130 miles.

Will let you all know what I find out!
-dCota
Good luck, and, thanks for keeping this forum updated on what you come up with. Can you take a video of the whine / sound. I'm currently at 1800 miles and have not experienced what you've described, the engine has been extremely quiet and serene at idle. I think I'll be paying closer attention next time I'm pulling away from a stop to see if there is anything even remotely close to that.
Old 01-19-13 | 06:38 AM
Xpcgamer
Rookie

Mine does the same thing. 13' ES350. 400 miles. Lets us know please what they say. I also feel a slight "cavitation" on the brake pedal when I tap it quickly when coming to a stop on a lot like when parking.

Quick Reply: Anyone heard this?