Few questions before I buy

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-13, 03:51 PM
newone88
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Few questions before I buy

Hi,
After few weeks of research and debate, I decided to go with the ES 300h or the ES 350.
I looked at the TL, Loaded Avalon, BMW 3, MB C class, infinity, etc and kept coming back to the Lexus.

I'm still debating between the 2 and can't make up my mind. This will be a treat for myself. My daily commute is not much and only drive long distances on weekend.
I have 75k on my 2002 Highlander so far.

Anyway, price might be a factor for my decision as well.
Best I got so far for Luxury package with Nav is 42k for the 300h and 40k for the 350.
I was hoping for a better deal, like 15% of MSRP but this seems to be what others are paying.

Q1- what is the acceptable mileage for a new car? I test drove one and was shocked that it had 150 miles already and that was the one the sales person was trying to sell me.

Q2- The 300h was nice to drive and had enough power which I liked, the only thing is the sound the car makes when you come to a complete stop, is this normal. Never driven a hybrid before but it was weird.

Q3- Can the side mirrors fold automatically? are they heated? Forgot to ask the sales person.

Q4- Saw few 350 with no navigation, just base, if you have one, do you regret not having the nav system? Do you like the fake leather seats? I thought they were comfortable but the real leather felt better.

Sorry for all the questions but just trying to get some info before I decide.

Cheers
Old 02-08-13, 04:25 PM
amphipri0n
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out truecardata.com for MSRP discount info... For me, 10% off was good enough...

1. Sounds like a demo car
2. The sound you hear when coming to a stop is characteristic of all Toyota hybrids
3. Optionally heated, sorry they are not power-folding like some of the foreign versions of the '13 ES =(
4. Can't answer this one...
Old 02-08-13, 09:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

I personally did not like the way the 300h drove. We had a Prius, so I am familiar with hybrids, but I just don't like how they drive. I don't like all the weird noises, don't like the CVT, not for me.

As for mileage, my GS had 60 miles on it. My 2010 ES had 7. Plenty of reasons why it would have 150 miles on it, could be a dealer transfer, could have been test driven. In the grand scheme of things, 150 miles doesn't really make a difference. If you like that car and the deal is good, I would buy it without hesitation with 150 miles on it.
Old 02-08-13, 10:36 PM
ep35rja
Driver School Candidate

Buy the ES300h, you will not regret it. I just did and the wife and I love it.
Old 02-08-13, 11:13 PM
Kabajaro
Driver School Candidate

Q1: Like SW10ES said, 150 miles isn't much of a difference if you like the car and chances are it's been in the back or on the lot for too long. Three nights before I bought mine, it was at 10 miles and when I came back for it on Saturday, it's got 13.
Make sure it's not a managers demo car, sometimes they like to abuse the ride then slapped on the "manager's pick" or something like that.

Quick question for SW10ES: How could dealer transfer pumps the miles to 150? Don't they usually truck it around? Unless the dealerships are close to each other?

Q3 : I wish we have auto-folding mirrors and the defoggers come standard.

When you're offered cargo net, trunk mat, door guards, side moldings, etc. just say no. Chances are Sewell will have it for a lesser price and most of those you can install yourself. If you really want, maybe let them do the wheel locks and bumper applique for you. I did.
Basically research the prices of the accessories you wanted first, and then compare that list to the sticker prices and maybe talk them down to giving those to you for an even cheaper price
Old 02-08-13, 11:18 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts

Q1- Mine had 30. I think dealers are supposed to randomly test drive cars to make sure there are no problems.

Q4- I will never buy a car without Nav. Way more convenient than having to mess with your phone or portable nav.

I would say 90% of cars don't come with full leather seats. Most of the time, only the seating surface is leather and half the time the whole seat is vinyl. I believe vinyl ages better than leather anyway.
Old 02-08-13, 11:33 PM
unowned
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Q1. Ya it's normal for a traded car to be driven 50 miles and not trucked.

Q2. i described the noise to the sales guy as "bart arriving at a station"

You mentioned it was a "treat" for you. In my opinion this car is more of a practical comfortable relaxing sedan, if that fits what you need then this is a great car for you.

If you want something really exhilarating I would look elsewhere.
Old 02-09-13, 04:53 AM
steig
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by newone88
Hi,
After few weeks of research and debate, I decided to go with the ES 300h or the ES 350.
I looked at the TL, Loaded Avalon, BMW 3, MB C class, infinity, etc and kept coming back to the Lexus.

I'm still debating between the 2 and can't make up my mind. This will be a treat for myself. My daily commute is not much and only drive long distances on weekend.
I have 75k on my 2002 Highlander so far.

Anyway, price might be a factor for my decision as well.
Best I got so far for Luxury package with Nav is 42k for the 300h and 40k for the 350.
I was hoping for a better deal, like 15% of MSRP but this seems to be what others are paying.

Q1- what is the acceptable mileage for a new car? I test drove one and was shocked that it had 150 miles already and that was the one the sales person was trying to sell me.

Q2- The 300h was nice to drive and had enough power which I liked, the only thing is the sound the car makes when you come to a complete stop, is this normal. Never driven a hybrid before but it was weird.

Q3- Can the side mirrors fold automatically? are they heated? Forgot to ask the sales person.

Q4- Saw few 350 with no navigation, just base, if you have one, do you regret not having the nav system? Do you like the fake leather seats? I thought they were comfortable but the real leather felt better.

Sorry for all the questions but just trying to get some info before I decide.

Cheers
Not sure about 15% off, esp the 300h. 10% off is a good deal. I didn't get close to that when I bought my 300h, but I purchased early in Sept. and they were in high demand. Just check the invoice and try to get close to that. Also, 150 miles is minimal. Could of been a few test rides, maybe car was dealer traded and driven to dealership. I would not be concerned abount 150 miles. Demo will usually have a few thousand miles on it.
I personally prefer to use my droid for NAV. Free updates also. You cant go wrong either way. (with or without NAV)
2013 ES 300h

Last edited by steig; 02-12-13 at 06:00 PM.
Old 02-09-13, 07:46 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It all depends, they definitely do drive dealer transfer cars as far as 150 miles. My dads 98 LS was a dealer transfer, it had 160 miles. My 2010 ES was a transfer and it had 7 miles, so it was obviously trucked.

They actually pay folks to drive dealer transfer cars around, Google it.

As for a deal, 15% off a Lexus is just not gonna happen. 10% is a great deal, if you an get that take it. 10% on an ES, especially a hybrid is not a commonplace deal.

I would never buy a car without nav either. Really hurts resale.

As for the seats, I would only want leather.
Old 02-09-13, 12:10 PM
Kabajaro
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SW10ES
It all depends, they definitely do drive dealer transfer cars as far as 150 miles. My dads 98 LS was a dealer transfer, it had 160 miles. My 2010 ES was a transfer and it had 7 miles, so it was obviously trucked.

They actually pay folks to drive dealer transfer cars around, Google it.
Makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up!
Old 02-09-13, 03:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Not a problem!
Old 02-09-13, 05:22 PM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Yeah my fathers ES was a dealer transfer and it has 170 miles on it but it was the only black on black they had. so he took it.
Q2- I've driven a hybrid I think the sound is new as my GS hybrid didnt have that noise sounds like a small warning for ped. Here's the thing with hybrids they are great and are built solid, if you don't plan to keep it long than expect to lose a lot of money the hybrids I have seen have suffered in resale. It really depends on your driving though if you don't drive a whole lot than I would say go with the 350.

Q3- They are heated but like someone said it is only offered in the European countries and not US.

Q4-The real leather is the best choice, and the nav I think is the better choice I like it and don't feel sorry for adding it. The dealer told me they have so many no navs because they read the market wrong and thought many customers would want no nav. Which means you may be able to get a good deal because not many people are buying them.

Happy buying.
Old 02-10-13, 08:34 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

When you look around at used prices, there is a big price difference for nav and no nav, more than the difference when the car was new.
Old 02-10-13, 10:17 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by SW10ES
When you look around at used prices, there is a big price difference for nav and no nav, more than the difference when the car was new.
I agree. When I was getting ready to trade in my 2010 ES350, I looked to see what dealers were asking for 2010's and the difference between nav and non-nav models was noticeable.
Old 02-10-13, 11:30 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Oh absolutely, and when I was looking at CPO LS's (not this time since almost all 460s have nav, but last time when I was looking at 430s) it was the same way. Whenever you saw a nice looking car at an awesome price...it was non nav.

Quick Reply: Few questions before I buy