Toyota to update plastics on Camry

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-13, 02:24 PM
amphipri0n
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Toyota to update plastics on Camry

Quoted from the general chat thread here on CL
Toyota's Camry sedan was just redesigned for the 2012 model year, but the Japanese automaker is already updated the mid-sizer with new interior refinements. The Camry's updates will bow for the 2013 model year.

In an effort to improve the Camry's interior appointments, Toyota is replacing the sedan's hard-touch door panels with new soft-touch units. The softer door panels will be installed on LE trim levels and above (including Hybrid), meaning Camry L buyers will still have to make due with the 2012 model's hard plastics.

However, base model Camrys (Camry L, Camry Hybrid LE) do gain Toyota's Display Audio screen as standard equipment for 2013.

For 2013 all Camry LE models will come with center armrests that match the car's interior color. In 2012, the Camry LE's center armrests were black, regardless of interior color.

Finally, Toyota is adding a rear cross traffic alert to 2013 Camry models equipped with the automaker's Blind Spot Monitor system.

The 2013 Toyota Camry is available for order now.
With similarly criticized hard plastics used on the ES 350 door panels I'm curious if Lexus plans something similar for ES later this year
Old 02-21-13, 03:28 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by amphipri0n
Quoted from the general chat thread here on CL

With similarly criticized hard plastics used on the ES 350 door panels I'm curious if Lexus plans something similar for ES later this year
If they do, it probably won't garner as much attention as the Camry gets. My guess is that any changes would come in upcoming model years, but who knows.
Old 02-21-13, 03:43 PM
gemigniani
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Both the 2013 ES350 and Avalon have hard plastic on the lower third of the doors and the portion of the upper doors closest to the instrument panel that you would not normally touch or feel. The lowest priced car Toyota car that offers a totally soft door panel is the $50,000 GS350.

In 1990 even the Toyota Tercel economy car had a fully padded door panel and a 1990 Cressida was positively sumptuous with about 3/4 inch of padding / velour / carpeting.

So the modern Toyotas and Buicks are not like your fathers.
Old 04-01-13, 05:07 PM
incyphe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a shame. 2002-2006 ES has zero hard surface on doors and dash. Even the lower part of the door where your hands would never go was richly padded. Heavy lacquered wood was nice too. Standard leather was butter soft, with nothing but double-stitching.

Sounds like this new gen is another step in the wrong direction, which is a shame, because visually it's a beautiful car inside and out.
Old 04-02-13, 05:41 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 655 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by incyphe
What a shame. 2002-2006 ES has zero hard surface on doors and dash. Even the lower part of the door where your hands would never go was richly padded. Heavy lacquered wood was nice too. Standard leather was butter soft, with nothing but double-stitching.

Sounds like this new gen is another step in the wrong direction, which is a shame, because visually it's a beautiful car inside and out.
I'm not understanding all these complaints with the minimal amount of lower grade plastic used in the ES. It's not an expensive car, so in order to keep it that way, they have to sacrifice in some areas. This market is getting more competitive from the likes of GM, Ford and the Koreans. I test drove them all and by far the ES has the best interior, plastics and all. At least they use real wood throughout.

I never sat in a 2002 through 2006 ES, but I can guess there are more than a few improvements in the 2013 that make it a far superior vehicle. I can live with a little bit of plastic.
Old 04-02-13, 05:58 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 157 Posts

Do you think the plastics are lighter for better fuel economy (every ounce they save adds up) and more Eco friendly? Perhaps that is one of the reasons for the change.
Old 04-02-13, 11:50 AM
unowned
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by incyphe
you have to realize that the 2013 ES is now based on on the much bigger and costlier Avalon platform so to keep the price point at or near the outgoing ES generation, they've done some interior plastics to places you don't necessarily touch. It also has to do with Lexus adding a whole new level of differentiation of sophistication compared to the GS model. Welcome to entry level Lexus, if you don't like it, pony up the money for a GS.
Old 04-02-13, 12:55 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Plastic door panels really doesn't bother me if nicely done and with better plastics. I know what it is, like the wood trim. However on my older GS and RX, I always wondered if the door panels were vinyl or leather. The salesperson says they're leather but I was never sure just like the sides and back of the seats.
Old 04-02-13, 01:47 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Arty101
Plastic door panels really doesn't bother me if nicely done and with better plastics. I know what it is, like the wood trim. However on my older GS and RX, I always wondered if the door panels were vinyl or leather. The salesperson says they're leather but I was never sure just like the sides and back of the seats.
I believe Lexus (and other mfgrs) say leather seating surfaces. If so, that would mean other coverings are vinyl.
Old 04-02-13, 03:41 PM
gemigniani
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by unowned
you have to realize that the 2013 ES is now based on on the much bigger and costlier Avalon platform so to keep the price point at or near the outgoing ES generation, they've done some interior plastics to places you don't necessarily touch.
Toyota has hard plasticized the Avalon interior too as well as the Camry XLE, Venza, etc. Also firmed up the ride of all those cars and cut back on sound insulation. So the overall driving experience is more primitive - sort of like stepping back in time. On the Toyota Nation Venza forum, one owner jokes: "9,000 miles and wondering if there ever was an NVH crew assigned to Venza."
Old 04-02-13, 05:26 PM
incyphe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
I'm not understanding all these complaints with the minimal amount of lower grade plastic used in the ES. It's not an expensive car, so in order to keep it that way, they have to sacrifice in some areas. This market is getting more competitive from the likes of GM, Ford and the Koreans. I test drove them all and by far the ES has the best interior, plastics and all. At least they use real wood throughout.

I never sat in a 2002 through 2006 ES, but I can guess there are more than a few improvements in the 2013 that make it a far superior vehicle. I can live with a little bit of plastic.
Sorry I'm just being an interior snob .

Lexus sells about 100,000/year world wide. So if they save $100 / car in labor and material, it would be $50 million over 5 years... nothing to sneeze at I suppose, but it's a worthwhile extra cost.