ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Considering a new ES350... but....

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-13, 02:00 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonnie
No... the Lexus dealer in 50 miles north of us and they won't let us bring it down here. We have not driven any of the other cars mentioned. My wife is not a fan of any of those. She had an 06 Hyundai Azera for 5 years and it did pretty well, but she is not crazy about the new Azera interior. If that interior had not looked like an alien, she might have leaned towards it a little more and probably saved several thousand dollars too. She had that strange yucky look on her face with the Lincolns. The LaCrosse may have been a player if it were not a Buick. She has this thing about Buicks. Plus the V6 does not get quite as good gas mileage and she doesn't want another 4 cylinder or a hybrid. I don't blame her for being picky though... she needs to want what she gets and get what she wants, which she usually does.
Have you guys considered the Acrua TL? They made some refinements to the styling (especially the grill) and toned things down a bit. It's very reliable with a more fun to drive factor than the ES. Also available in FWD or AWD.

Never mind. Just noticed you have decided on the UL. Enjoy the new Lexus.

Last edited by LexBob2; 03-06-13 at 02:13 PM.
Old 03-06-13, 02:15 PM
Sonnie
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Yep... we visited the Acura dealer, right next to the Hyundai dealer. The TL was okay, not crazy about the inside. We liked the RL better, but of course the one that was loaded up like we wanted was $55K ... and it only averages about 20 MPG.

About the only interior I think she would be happy with other than the ES would be the Avalon, but that front catfish looking mouth just blew it. I have no idea was Toyota was thinking with that. I think if they rated front end looks, it would have to be close to last place. I am not sure which is worse, the Avalon or the Ford Fusion.

Old 03-06-13, 02:31 PM
amphipri0n
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Genesis is not even in the ballpark of the ES350 as far as interior looks. The exterior is okay, but we like the ES better all around. We actually like the exterior of the 13 Azera better than we like the Genesis.
Agreed, I really don't understand how reviewers can make comparisons between the interiors of the two. It is really quite bland with no styling direction except bulbous and curvy and generally says economy. The split front stack with the headunit at the top half and the CD slot in the bottom do not tie together very well. I would take the PREVIOUS two generation ES interiors over the current Genesis' anyday...

The Genesis interior looks like a cheap knockoff of the previous generation Avalon design:

Old 03-06-13, 02:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

The Genesis is not even in the ballpark of the ES350 as far as interior looks. The exterior is okay, but we like the ES better all around. We actually like the exterior of the 13 Azera better than we like the Genesis.
Stylingwise I can see, but honestly the materials are much better in the Genesis. Leather is much nicer, no hard plastic, leather/soft vinyl covering everything.

Plus we are looking for better gas mileage, as she drives 50 miles round trip 5 days a week. ... and we drive 40 miles round trip to worship service 3 times a week. Then we do a good bit of traveling from here to there. That V8 Genesis would be horrific on MPG.
Don't have to get the V8, the V6 Genesis only looses about 2MPG compared to the ES. Have you considered the ES300h?

I'm just saying, I'm a die hard Lexus fan, I've owned Lexuses for 15 years. I drove the ES for 10 years. The only thing I like better about the ES than the Genesis is the L on the grille. Snobbery is 100% what kept me out of a Genesis in 2010 and this time really.

You should really drive one before you cross it off your list for sure.

OTOH, if it is anything like the Taurus, it won't be any better on these roads.
The MKZ is based on the Fusion, not the Taurus. The MKS is based on the Taurus.

Originally Posted by amphipri0n
Agreed, I really don't understand how reviewers can make comparisons between the interiors of the two. It is really quite bland with no styling direction except bulbous and curvy and generally says economy. The split front stack with the headunit at the top half and the CD slot in the bottom do not tie together very well. I would take the PREVIOUS two generation ES interiors over the current Genesis' anyday...
Have you driven a Genesis yourself? The interior styling is kind of bland, but the interior is VERY nice, materials are several steps above those found in the ES. I owned both previous ES generations, and I can tell you that the Genesis is nicer than both, and certainly nicer than the 2013 interior. My issues with poor material quality on the 2013 ES are well documented.

The Genesis is really a class up from the ES in every way but price. Honestly, the quality of the interior is very similar to my GS.

Last edited by SW17LS; 03-06-13 at 02:59 PM.
Old 03-06-13, 02:54 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Yep... we visited the Acura dealer, right next to the Hyundai dealer. The TL was okay, not crazy about the inside. We liked the RL better, but of course the one that was loaded up like we wanted was $55K ... and it only averages about 20 MPG.

About the only interior I think she would be happy with other than the ES would be the Avalon, but that front catfish looking mouth just blew it. I have no idea was Toyota was thinking with that. I think if they rated front end looks, it would have to be close to last place. I am not sure which is worse, the Avalon or the Ford Fusion.

I does seem like all car makers are scrambling to have a more prominent, aggressive and in your face grill than the next guy. IMO Lexus spindle grill is OK, Audi started it and looks good to me and some are better than others. For some reason I'm liking the grill on new Lincoln models. I agree that Toyota went a little overboard with the new Avalon's grill.
Old 03-06-13, 02:56 PM
Sonnie
Driver

Hmmm... I think I would take the old Avalon over the new Genesis.

I like it when they recess the display screen a little bit into the dash with a lip over the top edge. BMW does this on their 5 series and we liked that design in our 528i we had. Maybe that is why we favor the ES... it is not too terribly different.

I think it is the stainless look added in that dash of the ES that really makes it look good to me. I also like the way they separated the cup holders. The steering wheel has a much more luxury look to it.

That BMW widescreen display is nice.

Old 03-06-13, 03:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Hmmm... I think I would take the old Avalon over the new Genesis.
You'd be nuts. I'm just saying, the Genesis is a great car, and a ton of car for the money, more to a car than styling.

Last edited by SW17LS; 03-06-13 at 03:07 PM.
Old 03-06-13, 03:13 PM
Sonnie
Driver

Originally Posted by SW10ES
Don't have to get the V8, the V6 Genesis only looses about 2MPG compared to the ES. Have you considered the ES300h?
I know they use to offer it in the V6, but I did not see that option in the 2013 model. The Azera has that same V6 motor, which we had previously... and just like the car reviewers testing, she averaged about 20-21 combined. The 2013's tested the Azera at 21 combined and the ES at 26 combined, so we are hoping it will be a little better.

The MKZ is based on the Fusion, not the Taurus. The MKS is based on the Taurus.
So it may not be nearly as good. I thought the Taurus was better than the Fusion. But then again, Lincoln probably tunes their suspension a little softer than Ford, and I would imagine the interior would be better insulated as well. If the interior was better, the MKZ might be an option.

Have you driven a Genesis yourself? The interior styling is kind of bland, but the interior is VERY nice, materials are several steps above those found in the GS. I owned both previous ES generations, and I can tell you that the Genesis is nicer than both, and certainly nicer than the 2013 interior. My issues with poor material quality on the 2013 ES are well documented.
No, I have not. We looked it over when we were at the Hyundai dealer. We sat in and looked hard at the Equus, the Azera, the Genesis, and the Snotter. None of them really did anything for us. They were nice, just not the styling we were looking for. Plus, I have owned 3 Snotters and she has had the one Azera... nothing but constant problems and issues causing us many trips to the service department. First one thing then another. We looked, but we really knew we were not going to buy another Hyundai due to reliability issues. We have owned a lot of cars in our lifetime and those were by far the worst of the bunch. Maybe the Genesis is better, but it really would not matter.

This will be our fist Lexus. I did look at the GS back when I purchased my BMW, and that would be an option if it were not so expensive. We also have considered the 300h, but she just does not like the hybrids for some reason. I think she may be scared of that 4 cylinder. She said she wasn't having another 4 cylinder. I don't think you can get the panoramic roof in the hybrid either.
Old 03-06-13, 03:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I know they use to offer it in the V6, but I did not see that option in the 2013 model. The Azera has that same V6 motor, which we had previously... and just like the car reviewers testing, she averaged about 20-21 combined. The 2013's tested the Azera at 21 combined and the ES at 26 combined, so we are hoping it will be a little better.
They still have the V6 for '03. Its not the same V6 as is in the Azera. The Azera has a 3.3l 293HP 6, the Genesis has a totally different 333hp 3.8L V6. The Genesis is 24 MPG combined to the ES' 26.

No, I have not. We looked it over when we were at the Hyundai dealer.
I really think you should drive a Genesis before you pull the trigger. Their premium cars are completely different from their midmarket cars. As someone who has owned Toyotas and Lexuses I can tell you that the ownership experience is quite different, as it is for the premium Hyundai cars, theres just not a separate badge. The RWD vs FWD issue is reason alone to consider it IMHO.

I would never buy another Toyota, I would however (obviously) buy another Lexus.

We also have considered the 300h, but she just does not like the hybrids for some reason. .
I personally don't care for the way hybrids drive...
Old 03-06-13, 03:24 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

You'd be nuts. I'm just saying, the Genesis is a great car, and a ton of car for the money, more to a car than styling.
Based on their Road Test results, the Genesis V6 is Consumer Reports top rated Upscale Sedan. It has been for a couple of model years in a row.
Old 03-06-13, 03:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Does not surprise me.

I almost got one in 2010 to replace my 2003 ES instead of my 2010 ES, but at that time their leases were not good and it would have been more than the ES monthly, plus I just couldn't get over the whole "Go from Lexus to Hyundai" thing.

Now, they've got some unbelievable lease deals, like you can lease a loaded $47k Genesis V8 for $425 a month with nothing down, but this time I obviously upgraded to the GS.

The Genesis is a lot more substantial and solid feeling than the ES too, mainly due to its more sophisticated suspension setup and RWD powertrain. It rides and drives a lot more like the GS and LS than the ES does. Like I said, its really more similar to a GS or 5 series, but for the same money as or less than an ES.
Old 03-06-13, 03:32 PM
Sonnie
Driver

They still have the V6 for '03. Its not the same V6 as is in the Azera. The Azera has a 3.3l 293HP 6, the Genesis has a totally different 333hp 3.8L V6. The Genesis is 24 MPG combined to the ES' 26.
At one time they had the 3.3 for the Genesis cause we looked at it and were surprised to see it had the same engine as her Azera. It was a few years back.

The Genesis is 24 MPG combined to the ES' 26.
From what I have read the ES is closer to a real number than the Hyundai's... and I am thinking that the Genesis will be like the Azera and average about 20-21 combined.

I really think you should drive a Genesis before you pull the trigger. Their premium cars are completely different from their midmarket cars. As someone who has owned Toyotas and Lexuses I can tell you that the ownership experience is quite different, as it is for the premium Hyundai cars, theres just not a separate badge. The RWD vs FWD issue is reason alone to consider it IMHO.
If we liked the looks of it we might would consider it, but that is the first test it has to pass with us. She nor I could stand to look at that interior everyday. She really wasn't crazy about the exterior either.

I personally don't care for the way hybrids drive...
We have only ever driven one and we were not fond of it either, although I understand they are getting better. Maybe a few years from now we might consider one again.
Old 03-06-13, 03:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

At one time they had the 3.3 for the Genesis cause we looked at it and were surprised to see it had the same engine as her Azera. It was a few years back.
It's always been the 3.8 in the US..

She nor I could stand to look at that interior everyday. She really wasn't crazy about the exterior either.
I understand...that's why I didn't wind up in a 2013 ES. Like I said, I like the look of the new ES inside, but the cost cutting drives me nuts, and I have some issues with he execution of he exterior too.

Last edited by SW17LS; 03-06-13 at 03:53 PM.
Old 03-06-13, 03:55 PM
Sonnie
Driver

I'll take your word for it... it was probably something else we were looking at... maybe a coupe, but I have my doubts it will average 24 combined.
Old 03-06-13, 04:28 PM
mrBillFL
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

any caddy dealers around? ATS might be worth a look.

http://www.edmunds.com/cadillac/ats/...tyle=200420760

and the Genesis R is a monster. AMG / M fighter.

Quick Reply: Considering a new ES350... but....