ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Considering a new ES350... but....

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-13, 08:01 AM
Sonnie
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

My memory is not all that great, but I do have a few pics of the inside of our previous 528i.

It seems like the following is hard plastic, but it never bothered me for one minute, despite how picky I can be sometimes.

Just for remembrance... this was such a fine looking car... and a fine riding car as well.

Old 03-08-13, 09:07 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Congrats on your decision Sonnie!

Originally Posted by amphipri0n
I would agree that of course the overall material quality is better in the 5 than the ES. However, next time you get a chance to hop into one, check out the hard, coarse plastics that are still present in the lower half of door panels. Basic grade plastics are an easy way to save money and finding places to skimp is part of cost engineering to stay competitive for all mass-production car manufacturers like Lexus and BMW. I brought up this specific example because the OP is a previous owner and can have a quick frame of reference.
I drove the 5 a lot before I got my GS at the end of November, and was really critical of the interior as that was why I had decided I was going to move up from the ES in the first place. The plastics down low are obviously lower end than those up high, as they are on the GS as well. The difference is that in the 5 (and the GS) those plastics are still soft, dull & rubbery, slightly padded, whereas the plastic on the ES in these areas, and more is absolutely hard, slightly glossy, and non-rubberized, similar to the type of plastic you find in economy car interiors.

Last edited by SW17LS; 03-08-13 at 09:11 AM.
Old 03-15-13, 08:40 PM
K7baixo
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonnie

Just for remembrance... this was such a fine looking car... and a fine riding car as well.

Two comments
1. Yes indeed.....fine looking car.
2. Damn glad I don't have to cut your grass! Alabama heat+Alabama humidity+several acres = high suffer score. BTDT.
Old 03-15-13, 09:06 PM
Sonnie
Driver

Yeah... we cut about 10-12 acres weekly right here. The other side of that fence is where the cows and horses hang out, so we don't have to cut that.

I own a lawn service business too, actually get out in that hot and humid weather on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. That is about all I can take. I hang out in my office on Monday and Fridays, unless the rain puts us off a day. I will typically change my shirts three times during the worst days of the summer.

I was doing the Optimum treatment on the interior of our ES this afternoon and was rather surprised that the plastic did not feel any cheaper to me than the 528i. It did not have that hard plastic sheen to it and actually soaked up the treatment about as quick as the leather did. I was rather impressed with the door design and materials. I definitely do not get a since of cheap in anything about this car. There are a few things that are disappointing, but I will probably start a new thread to discuss my likes and dislikes. It surprises me that Kia can actually get a few things right that BMW and Lexus dropped the ball on... more later.
Old 03-15-13, 09:15 PM
K7baixo
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I grew up in Bibb Co and we only had about 2.5 acres to cut. I used a self-propelled walk-behind but when I went into the service, my father purchased a Cub Cadet. Go figure.
Old 03-16-13, 12:56 AM
longslim
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW10ES
Yeah a guy who works for me has a new C300, its really sharp and classy but very small. That's one of the nice things about the ES, unlike the C, A4 and 3 series you get a grown up size car.

The XTS ain't worth $55k either.

Are you willing to look at used? She could get a 3 year old certified S Class for about what a loaded ES costs.
Yes if the XTS cost $55k but you can get a fully load luxury package for $50k.
Old 03-16-13, 06:48 AM
Sonnie
Driver

I drove my mother-in-laws 08 CTS to pick up our ES. It was bouncy and not as quite as the ES. The ES seems to have just the right amount of float, not bouncy and not too stiff.
Old 03-17-13, 08:55 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sonnie
I was doing the Optimum treatment on the interior of our ES this afternoon and was rather surprised that the plastic did not feel any cheaper to me than the 528i. It did not have that hard plastic sheen to it and actually soaked up the treatment about as quick as the leather did. I was rather impressed with the door design and materials. I definitely do not get a since of cheap in anything about this car. .
Sorry...but this is definitely a case of rose colored glasses here.
Old 03-17-13, 06:01 PM
Sonnie
Driver

Hey... to each his own opinion. Just because you think something is cheap looking, does not mean the next person will. I call it like I see it, regardless of the glasses I am wearing.

Did you have something of value you wanted to add rather than being disrespectful and cutting someone down?
Old 03-17-13, 09:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I have added a lot of value to many discussions on here and elsewhere. I'm not being disrespectful or cutting anybody down, I'm just a fan of objectivity thats all.

Last edited by SW17LS; 03-17-13 at 09:26 PM.
Old 03-18-13, 12:03 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sonnie- I wanted to say I appreciate your comments, observations and objectivity. I feel they've added to the discussions in this forum. Then there are other comments, over and over, adnausium about the quality of this and that (the same comments on other posts in the ES (2013+) forum) that is getting pretty old. Really, we get it, you don't like the new ES, so get over it and move on.
Old 03-18-13, 07:37 AM
MDames2
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SW10ES
Sorry...but this is definitely a case of rose colored glasses here.
Not sure I see where anyone asked for your opinion on this. I guess you feel compelled to make sure we're all "enlightened"
Old 03-18-13, 08:18 AM
amphipri0n
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Arty101
Sonnie- I wanted to say I appreciate your comments, observations and objectivity. I feel they've added to the discussions in this forum. Then there are other comments, over and over, adnausium about the quality of this and that (the same comments on other posts in the ES (2013+) forum) that is getting pretty old. Really, we get it, you don't like the new ES, so get over it and move on.
Objectively speaking, I agree with your statement. It is a nuisance to watch someone who doesn't own the vehicle, go to a forum and grind the same ax over and over.

What I find worse is when same person starts trying to convince that an owner's experience or perception with two vehicles that they themselves have actually owned (the 5 series and the current ES in this case) is somehow incorrect.