ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

My Review On ES350

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-13, 02:51 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts
Default My Review On ES350

Ok, so I took a trip to Toronto going so far. I can say that the drive was to soft in my view and although there was high wind going I found that the car can't handle it very well with the electric steering. The car does burn gas well it was getting 33 MPG so can't complain, I also found that it was not very comfortable mostly because I'm tall and it doesn't have the seat extender as I do in my GS but overall I would said it isn't a bad car better than my fathers 2011 Camry XLE Hybrid, I love the steering wheel with the wood. The car drives and keeps up with most cars with no problem, The tires are the best they are so quiet and comfortable on the road, these were Michelin tires.

Part 2
So after driving so many miles about 1,800 miles, I have come to the conclusion that the ES although a great car and very comfortable, is a car meant for the person who isn't a sporty driver. It has the feel of a slow driver. I can not stand the front wheel drive, every time I took off this thing would lose itself, especially if it rained. The car has a problem when wind is involved, must be the steering the wind seems to be able to push the car and cause the steering to go left to right maybe a mechanical problem not sure yet. Although I'm comparing this ES to my car which isn't the greatest comparison, it still feels to soft and needs to be more driver oriented. Feels like Lexus only changed the style but not the way it drives. It does have the speed and the style but it's missing something and that missing thing would really help this car.
Here is a before and after pic.
My Review On ES350-photo-1.jpg

My Review On ES350-photo-2.jpg

My Review On ES350-photo-3.jpg

Last edited by bigblack06; 04-29-13 at 06:45 AM.
Old 04-21-13, 03:01 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 642 Likes on 482 Posts

I'm guessing the car had 17" wheels, since you said it came with Michelin's. You get a little more road noise and feel with the 18" Bridgestones. I've not had any issues as far as wind goes. Can you expand on the: "can't handle it well" statement? I'm 6'4" and the car is very comfortable for me. However, mine has the seat extender you mention. What other options are missing on the ES you drove?
Old 04-21-13, 04:26 AM
coach1
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Every driver must have their own expectations for quality, performance, fit & function if you will. I owned a SC430 which became too small and my other half didn't appreciate the top down any longer. Last year I set out to find a classy/sporty sedan. I had a 5 series BMW picked out in my price, however, we had been test driving an Audi A4. We were impress how nimble and fast the Audi was with a 2.0L and some where in the process I completely missed the CVT transmission or the salesmen slipped it by us.

I began seeing all the mechanical issues Audi had, it shrunk in size, and I could never completely get used to the crazy CVT.

Over a couple months I was on a path to resolve the mistake. I looked at Quattro's, I revisited BMW, Mercedes, but was drawn back to Lexus. The 2013 ES redesign was night and day to me. After test driving everything again I worked dealership against dealership until I got an exchange I could live with. I drove the Audi 150 miles to Atlanta and drove the new ES home and that road trip simply solidified the choice I made.....for ME. For me I wasn't interested as much in performance as I was in comfort & quality. Gas mileage was slightly less however I didn't need to use premium. I don't have to have the transmission serviced every 30K miles to the tune of $500 or it blows-up. I don't have to worry about oil consumption or top tier gas. I can put a set of golf clubs in the trunk without lowering the rear seats. I don't bang my knees on the steering wheel every time I get in and out.

This is my review. 300 mile round trip the last 150 was far better than the first.
Old 04-21-13, 08:02 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblack06
I can say that the drive was to soft in my view and although there was high wind going I found that the car can't handle it very well with the electric steering
I found the electric steering in the '13 ES to be VERY light. Especially noticeable at low parking lot speeds (I likened the feeling to turning the steering wheel on an arcade driving video game with no feedback, didn't feel like the wheel was connected to anything at all). Much lighter than what was in my 2010 ES.
Old 04-21-13, 09:46 AM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by Mike728
I'm guessing the car had 17" wheels, since you said it came with Michelin's. You get a little more road noise and feel with the 18" Bridgestones. I've not had any issues as far as wind goes. Can you expand on the: "can't handle it well" statement? I'm 6'4" and the car is very comfortable for me. However, mine has the seat extender you mention. What other options are missing on the ES you drove?
Oh didn't know it was offered on the ES. The way to Canada had severe weather high winds, and every time I went over 75 MPH the wind hit the car and I would have to hold the steering wheel tight to keep control.

Originally Posted by SW10ES
I found the electric steering in the '13 ES to be VERY light. Especially noticeable at low parking lot speeds (I likened the feeling to turning the steering wheel on an arcade driving video game with no feedback, didn't feel like the wheel was connected to anything at all). Much lighter than what was in my 2010 ES.
Yes this has its benefits and loses, that's the reason I think I was having a lot more problem's.
Old 04-21-13, 12:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Oh didn't know it was offered on the ES.
The UL package gets the seat extender for the driver only
Old 04-21-13, 09:28 PM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by SW10ES
The UL package gets the seat extender for the driver only
Oh he didn't get that package. Also see today that there is a touch-less car wash at every gas station, took it today to wash and gotta say the worst I have ever been to. The pressure was way to strong, so strong the water sprayed in through the moon roof. I found that the gas mileage getting a whole lot better, from when he purchased it. The ES really feels a little like the LS, when driving around here feels very comfortable could be the 17" wheels but the car really has those qualities.
Old 04-24-13, 04:06 PM
amphipri0n
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can say that the drive was to soft in my view and although there was high wind going I found that the car can't handle it very well with the electric steering. The car does burn gas well it was getting 33 MPG so can't complain..I love the steering wheel with the wood. The car drives and keeps up with most cars with no problem, The tires are the best they are so quiet and comfortable on the road, these were Michelin tires.
Same experience but opposite expectations here... I test drove the 2013 GS last year and found the ride to be too sporty, even on the normal/non sport+ suspension setting. (especially at low speeds over bumps) The '12 GS was more compliant, but nowhere near as sharp handling as the 2013.

I also prefer the more conservative design of the front end of the ES over the GS. I have seen enough examples in person, while walking, driving and it still reminds me of a modified front-end of some young man's rocket (a la NeedForSpeed) instead of an executive class vehicle. Maybe that fits because it sure is fast.

Last edited by amphipri0n; 04-24-13 at 05:21 PM.