ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Waxing My 2013 ES350

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-13, 02:17 PM
Foredeck
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Waxing My 2013 ES350

Never really woried about waxing cars over the years, just used a quick detailer from time to time,but planning on keeping this car for a few years anyway, what type of wax do you guys recommend on the Lexus 'soft paint'
-type of wax
-how often
-car is black in colour
-warm summers, wet snowy winters with lots of road salt

Would appreciate any advice guys, also ease of use could factor in as well
Old 05-12-13, 02:27 PM
Sandollars
Driver School Candidate

If you are into waxing and want to have that rich glow like the concours cars, then carnauba wax is the way to go. The best is Pinnacle Souveran. Mother's is cheaper and does a good job too.

If you want to SEAL the paint and then just touch up the sealant over the years then you want a paint Sealant. This is my preferred method because I like the hard as glass look.

A premium paint sealant can last 4 to 6 months, sometimes longer. Higher end sealants can last up to 12 months. The more typical types will last 4 to 6 months. By “last”, I mean that water will continue to bead and the paint will remain protected from UV rays and contamination. There are plenty of choices out there for good ones. The higher the price, the better the product as a general rule.... Within reason.
Old 05-13-13, 07:56 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,300 Likes on 905 Posts

I'm quite sure that you'll get many replies with just as many different wax recommendations. For me, I use Meguiar's products and have been very satisfied. I never use a wheel on my cars - especially on black paint - as it causes swirls. My favorite for a beautiful shine is Meguiar's Show Car Glaze. I use this on my '66 Corvette that I paid $10,000. to paint. I also only use soft cotton terry cloth towels - specifically for my cars - to apply and remove the wax. Do not use a cleaner/wax on your new car. It does not need it when the paint is new. I would suggest that you try some of the products sent in by our members and see what works best for you. As for me, I never heard of Pinnacle Souveran but intend to check it out.
Old 05-13-13, 08:56 AM
txes
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bc6152
I'm quite sure that you'll get many replies with just as many different wax recommendations. For me, I use Meguiar's products and have been very satisfied. I never use a wheel on my cars - especially on black paint - as it causes swirls.
Quite the contrary... I use a Porter Cable Orbital buffer and never have swirl marks. In fact I remove them on my wife's black LaCrosse effortlessly.

"Porter Cable 7424 XP is our most popular polisher! With user-friendly features and a random orbital motion, the Porter Cable 7424 XP is the easiest way to remove swirls, polish paint, and apply wax. Because it’s a dual action buffer, it comes with all the convenience of machine polishing but none of the risks associated with rotary buffers."

Best $200.00 I spent for car care.

John
Old 05-13-13, 09:49 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by txes
Quite the contrary... I use a Porter Cable Orbital buffer and never have swirl marks. In fact I remove them on my wife's black LaCrosse effortlessly.

"Porter Cable 7424 XP is our most popular polisher! With user-friendly features and a random orbital motion, the Porter Cable 7424 XP is the easiest way to remove swirls, polish paint, and apply wax. Because it’s a dual action buffer, it comes with all the convenience of machine polishing but none of the risks associated with rotary buffers."

John
I'll stick with hand waxing thank you...
Old 05-13-13, 01:06 PM
Sandollars
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bc6152
I'll stick with hand waxing thank you...
I would too if I had your cars! Dang!
Old 05-13-13, 01:52 PM
txes
Lead Lap

I've trusted all my cars to to the Porter Cable and it hasn't let me down.

Of course it helps to have a good paint job to start with.

John
Attached Thumbnails Waxing My 2013 ES350-screenshot_2013-05-13-15-29-21.jpg   Waxing My 2013 ES350-hood2.jpg  
Old 05-13-13, 03:04 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

I've trusted all my cars to to the Porter Cable and it hasn't let me down.

Of course it helps to have a good paint job to start with.

John
OK. I'm envious. Absolutely gorgeous John...
Old 05-13-13, 03:41 PM
Foredeck
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the advice so far, Guys! although think I will stick with bc6152 and stay away from any type of power device, was never to handy with any type of power tool, have heard horror stories of guys who have tried these over the years, although I'm sure they work great if you know what your doing, Anyway, what about frequency? New a guy years ago who used to wax his car once a month; the other 29 days he spent cleaning it!!(could't figure out why his wife finally divorced him) Antway, what about liquid waxs, do they not hold up as well? Just browsing yesterday and the selection is daunting, hoping I see you guys favouring one out of the large selection available, especially given the price of these products

Foredeck
Old 05-13-13, 04:17 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Foredeck
Thanks for the advice so far, Guys! although think I will stick with bc6152 and stay away from any type of power device, was never to handy with any type of power tool, have heard horror stories of guys who have tried these over the years, although I'm sure they work great if you know what your doing, Anyway, what about frequency? New a guy years ago who used to wax his car once a month; the other 29 days he spent cleaning it!!(could't figure out why his wife finally divorced him) Antway, what about liquid waxs, do they not hold up as well? Just browsing yesterday and the selection is daunting, hoping I see you guys favouring one out of the large selection available, especially given the price of these products

Foredeck
I use Meguiar's Gold Class Carnauba Plus liquid wax about 3-4 times a year. In between I use Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Detailer. When I use the Carnauba I do the whole car. Using the Quik Detailer I apply it only on the horizontal surfaces that get the most abuse - roof, trunk, hood. I think that the weather here in southeastern PA is very similar to Michigan except not quite as cold in winter. I wash my car(s) frequently, sometimes twice a week in spring and summer. I always make sure that there's a good wax job on the Lexus before winter sets in. Make sure you get the bird crap off as soon as possible 'cause no wax will stop damage in the hot sun. Do yourself a favor and don't cheap out on car wax. You'll be happy that you didn't. Five (5) cars, a lot of cleaning, but still married...
Old 05-13-13, 07:13 PM
txes
Lead Lap

+1 on Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Detailer.

Almost any Meguiar's product is a good one.

John
Old 05-13-13, 08:57 PM
Sandollars
Driver School Candidate

Sweet rides! Especially that El Camino!
Old 05-13-13, 11:19 PM
JerryKK
Driver

John
John - I just got the Porter Cable as well - just wondering exactly what you are using to polish and protect your paint job.
Old 05-14-13, 05:38 AM
txes
Lead Lap

I like to use Klasse and Sonus products from Autopia.

The Klasse products from Germany are top notch.

www.autopia-carcare.com

John

Last edited by txes; 05-14-13 at 05:42 AM.
Old 05-17-13, 03:06 PM
Labomba
Driver School Candidate

Black is beautiful when clean, but when is it really clean? But to me it looked dusty (therefore dirty) immediately after finishing with XP Porter cable dual orbital buffer, Meguires 205 ultra finishing polish & a coat of meguires carnuba paste wax. My personality & black cannot coexist. Meguires Carnuba wax on a cool finish is best way to go. Do not apply in sun or hot surface as the shadows will drive you nuts. It is available in paste & liquid.

Quick Reply: Waxing My 2013 ES350