ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Installed Interior Led's

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-13, 02:50 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If I'm come across a computer store anytime soon, or I'll try a CC or plastic knife to pry them open. I've broken my share of connectors and tabs. . I'm all
Old 08-28-13, 06:45 PM
oneor11
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for sharing your tips on the LEDs. I ordered them from eBay. They came in today and I did my first customization. I just did the interior though. I didn't hit the trunk yet or the lights underneath the dash. My observations and tips:

1. I ordered the molding tools as suggested in the thread. They were too big to pry off the diffusers, but they will come in handy for other things so I'm glad I have them. Instead I used a super small screwdriver...like the kind you would screw a screw in on a pair of eyeglasses. That worked perfectly. I don't remember where I got it.

2. The door lights were a bit tricky for me. The stem of the LED won't go into the contraption as far as the regular bulb did. And I just so happened to have a funky connection in the first door I tried so it led me to believe that the bulb needed to go in further. So I wasted 45 minutes on the first door. But the rest were a breeze. Even though it looks like it doesn't go in far enough, it's far enough and will work.

3. As others mentioned, check that you have the bulb in the right way. If it doesn't work one way, turn it 180 degrees and try again. This is especially important in the door lights, since you have to remove a little contraption with some clips and stuff. Test that it works, then clip it all up.

4. The regular lights get really hot, even if on for a brief time. So turn them off and move on to another area while it cools down.

5. The end result looks sharp. As others said, the pictures look brighter than they are. They dim well, but in my mind the dimming process moves a little bit faster, but it could be all in my head.

As for the puddle lights, I didn't even know I had them until I read them in this thread. I couldn't figure out how to turn them on. Finally they seemed to come on when I unlocked the car with the remote. But I don't ever use the remote to unlock the car so I'm not too worried about it.

Thanks for sharing your experiences all. It helped me quite a bit.
Old 08-28-13, 06:49 PM
jbm79
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oneor11
As for the puddle lights, I didn't even know I had them until I read them in this thread. I couldn't figure out how to turn them on. Finally they seemed to come on when I unlocked the car with the remote. But I don't ever use the remote to unlock the car so I'm not too worried about it.
The puddle lights go on when you approach the vehicle while you have the smart keys with you, and turns off as you move away from the vehicle.
Old 08-30-13, 08:08 AM
Chardo
Driver School Candidate

This is a problem I didn't know I had.

What's wrong with the factory lighting?
Old 08-30-13, 08:47 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It's not obvious, nor bright. You'll see it when it's dark outside. When the interior light comes on, the puddle lights under the mirrors come on too, as you approach the car. It'll take a moment or two, not immediately.
Old 08-30-13, 09:42 AM
oneor11
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Chardo
This is a problem I didn't know I had.

What's wrong with the factory lighting?
Hi Chardo. Lol, no problems with the factory lighting at all. Some folks in the forums, including myself, like that clean crisp "white" look that the LEDs give off instead of the yellow light that the regular factory lights give off. Some consider the yellow lights dingy while others may find the white lights too "surgical". It's all a matter of taste and preference. The LEDs are significantly cooler than the factory bulbs though; over time it may prevent the yellowing of the diffuser covers due to heat.

There's nothing wrong with your factory lights. Just a matter of preference on the way it looks.

Jacob
Old 10-01-13, 09:13 PM
jml33
Driver School Candidate

First time using the forum so I hope I'm doing this correctly. I have the 2013 ES 300h and have removed the step/courtesy light in the door to replace the bulb with an LED. I can't figure out how to get the bulb out as it has a shield around it and I don't want to break it. What is the correct way to remove the bulb?
Old 10-02-13, 06:24 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by jml33
First time using the forum so I hope I'm doing this correctly. I have the 2013 ES 300h and have removed the step/courtesy light in the door to replace the bulb with an LED. I can't figure out how to get the bulb out as it has a shield around it and I don't want to break it. What is the correct way to remove the bulb?
You need to wedge something in between the door and light to pop it out.
Old 10-02-13, 07:08 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,306 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by jml33
The metal shield actually has a kind of hinge on it that you can pull it up, remove the existing factory bulb, insert the LED and replace the shield. You won't break it if you're careful. It does come completely off an can be reassembled easily.
Old 10-02-13, 08:12 AM
jml33
Driver School Candidate

Got it, thanks. Was worried about breaking the shield but came out with some pressure.
Old 06-17-14, 03:36 PM
Pzerp
Driver School Candidate

Default help

this is great information. I'm wondering if anyone can help me or guide me to where i can see a video as to how to change the puddle lamps...
Old 06-19-14, 05:46 AM
bootman
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Pzerp
this is great information. I'm wondering if anyone can help me or guide me to where i can see a video as to how to change the puddle lamps...
I found this for the IS here.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ight-bulb.html

If you want to try you can be our hero.

BTW I recently did all of my interior lights with LEDs and really like the look.
Old 06-19-14, 07:14 AM
Pzerp
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bootman

BTW I recently did all of my interior lights with LEDs and really like the look.
Good information, thanks a lot!! Scared to try it but I'm sure I will. Once I do I will let you guys know!
Old 06-19-14, 07:38 AM
Pzerp
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bootman

That was so simple. It is exactly as explained in that thread. It literally took me 5 minutes for each side. Unfortunately i cannot see them on as I believe they only come on at night. Anyone can do it, the mirrors come off easily and snap back on easily too.. Good luck!
Old 06-19-14, 08:44 AM
bootman
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Pzerp
That was so simple. It is exactly as explained in that thread. It literally took me 5 minutes for each side. Unfortunately i cannot see them on as I believe they only come on at night. Anyone can do it, the mirrors come off easily and snap back on easily too.. Good luck!
Same bulb as the interiors correct?

Quick Reply: Installed Interior Led's