Digital speed display?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-13, 07:23 AM
oneor11
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Digital speed display?

Hi everyone,

So when I wrecked my Honda Accord a couple of months ago I was in a new Toyota Avalon rental. The center dash display (between the speedometer and tach) was adjustable just like my new ES350's is. However, the following are two great configurations the Avalon had that I can't reproduce in my ES350:

1. Displaying the digital speed. This was nice because it was precise and right smack in the middle of the dash display for easy reading.

2. When the ignition was cut off the center display would display three lines until the door was opened: the distance traveled, the time it took to travel that distance, and the average fuel economy of that trip

I couldn't find any of this in the ES350 manual, but was going to ask you guys in case (a) I missed something or (b) some kind of undocumented voodoo magic could be worked to achieve this configuration.

Thanks!

Jacob
Old 08-27-13, 10:16 AM
amphipri0n
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oneor11
2. When the ignition was cut off the center display would display three lines until the door was opened: the distance traveled, the time it took to travel that distance, and the average fuel economy of that trip
This would be nice...
Old 08-27-13, 01:22 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by amphipri0n
This would be nice...
Never thought I'd miss something I didn't have .
Old 08-27-13, 03:57 PM
boe
Driver

Good point. Frankly, I don't want any old type fixed measuring devices on my dash. It should be all digital and fully customizable for optimum information. I really don't want an analogue clock or any other turn of the 15th century devices in my console.
Old 08-27-13, 05:06 PM
amphipri0n
Pole Position

I like the analog gauges and clock. There is a physical motion to the tach and speedometer needles that is more intuitive and natural than digital numbers counting up or down.
Old 08-27-13, 05:43 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree with amp. The analog gauges and clock goes together, and I think Lexus has done a fine job like lots of the higher end vehicles.
Old 08-27-13, 06:32 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,014 Likes on 693 Posts

I like the analog gauges and clock. There is a physical motion to the tach and speedometer needles that is more intuitive and natural than digital numbers counting up or down.
I agree 100%. Back in the 1980s, manufacturers who wanted to create the impression that their vehicles were using state-of-the art technology experimented with all digital displays, including the speedometer and the tachometer. Those experiments were total flops. Car buyers didn't want their instrument panels looking like an X-Box game. Buyers considered the all digital displays to have a tacky look, and many felt that they would believe that digital speedometers and tachs were providing information in a better way when they started to put digital speedometers and tachs on Indy and NASCAR race cars.

With regard to the clock, the first time I saw the ES350 interior, what I saw that pleased me the most was the analog clock, which, to me, has a classy look compared to the tacky look of a digital clock.

I also have a different feeling than some with regard to having more information continuously available on the display screens. I want to see the information that I regularly need to see, and I don't want the information that I need to be in the middle of the clutter of information that I don't often need to see. I don't regularly need to see my cruising range, my elapsed trip time, etc.. For information like that, I'm happy to scroll through display choices on the rare occasions that I want to see it as opposed to seeing it all the time and making it more difficult for me to locate what I really want to see. When I compare my ES350 to my 2005 GX470, there is something that I find to be quite pleasing about the relative simplicity of the GX. It has the controls and the information that I need to use and to see, and it doesn't have the clutter that makes it more difficult to locate the controls and information that I do need from among a collection of other controls and information that I never or rarely need.
Old 08-27-13, 09:35 PM
boe
Driver

That's the point though, with a screen interface, you could should if you want a guage like display or a digital counter. A screen is far far more flexible in presenting data in any format EVERYONE wants, not just some people.