ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Rattle on driver side pillar and seat belt and steering click

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-14, 08:11 PM
dxerg3770
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Formula271
I would bet my car that it's coming from the d-side b-pillar / seat belt height adjuster area. I mentioned this to the service manager when i had my 300h in for the 10,000 mile service this past week. They offered to look at it, but I was short on time. And, knowing myself how exactly to duplicate the noise, for the dealer to properly root cause and confirm any countermeasure would not be a quick process. I suspect replacing either the height adjuster, slide garnish, b-pillar upr garnish or some combination of these will stop the noise.

I can stop the noise by placing the belt height adjuster in the lowest position or sliding the seat slightly forward of where I would normally drive, or some combination of these. Both of these actions place the belt in constant contact with my shoulder. I am 6'3", so typically I would keep the belt height adjuster in the highest position and the seat slide position towards rear-most. In my most desirable driving position, there is some gap between the top of my shoulder and the belt path. When this gap between belt and shoulder exists, the rattle is consistent.

There are now a few on the board with what sounds like this same issue. There will be a fix identified. Not wanting to be the guinea pig, I will wait for fix to be found

Out of curiosity, for those experiencing this noise, what was your build month? My 300h was built 2/2014. Also, if you don't mind, how tall are you and what position is your seat belt height adjuster?

I'll start...
2/2014
6'3"
upper-most
My es350 was built in 2/14 as well.
As previous post suggested, fondling with assist handle had no effect on the rattle. Nor can i apply pressure to a certain spot to reduce the rattle. I'll try and mess with seatbelt see if that helps.
Old 06-23-14, 02:07 PM
dxerg3770
Driver

This maybe premature but I might have found source and a temporary solution.
Sound was indeed coming from the driver's assist handle.

When you hear the rattle, give firm press against square ****. If it stops the rattle, then that's where the sound is coming from. If not, you can stop reading this.

As you can see from the picture, prying the square **** out was the hardest part and I made a scuff trying to do it. Easy way to do it is insert 2 small screw drivers on both side at the same time and press inward. It will pop right out.

With the assist handle taken out, if you rub the fabric around that plastic **** area. You'll notice it makes very annoying sound. I put a layer of paper towel around it until I figure out a more permanent solution. So far, it reduced the sound for me. I used to have it all the time even on smooth roads. Now I only hear it on the rough road. If it works for you, it would be nice to share some know-hows or solutions to make it a permanent fix.

Last edited by dxerg3770; 09-23-14 at 01:56 PM.
Old 06-23-14, 02:28 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,018 Likes on 696 Posts

Originally Posted by dxerg3770
This maybe premature but I might have found source and a temporary solution.
Sound was indeed coming from the driver's assist handle.

When you hear the rattle, give firm press against square ****. If it stops the rattle, then that's where the sound is coming from. If not, you can stop reading this.

As you can see from the picture, prying the square **** out was the hardest part and I made a scuff trying to do it. Easy way to do it is insert 2 small screw drivers on both side at the same time and press inward. It will pop right out.

With the assist handle taken out, if you rub the fabric around that plastic **** area. You'll notice it makes very annoying sound. I put a layer of paper towel around it until I figure out a more permanent solution. So far, it reduced the sound for me. I used to have it all the time even on smooth roads. Now I only hear it on the rough road. If it works for you, it would be nice to share some know-hows or solutions to make it a permanent fix.

Glad to hear that you are making progress. As I said earlier in the thread, my experience has been that, for the majority of people who think that they are sure that the chatter that they are hearing is coming from B pillar around the seat belt mount or from the window, the real source of the problem is those entry/exit assist handles. One of the reasons why chatter from those handles is likely to be heard by you is because the handle, and, thus, the source of the sound, is only inches from your ear. I'll bet that the other 3 assist handles are making a similar chatter, but, because your ears are not as close, you just aren't hearing their chatter.

You are likely, also, to find that, whether you hear the chatter or not can depend on changes in temperature and humidity.

I've discovered a very simple and quick way to deal with the issue. If you get some foam rubber and cut it into pieces that are about 1 inch square and about 1/2 inch tall, you can stick one square in each of the recesses in the handle itself near where the handle's hinges are. If your squares are a little bigger than the recess, the way that the foam will compress a bit when you put it into the recess will hold the foam in the recess. The presence of the foam will provide a cushion between the handle and the cover that is in your picture, and that cushion should eliminate the chatter. Once the foam is in place, you won't see it at all when the handle is in its normal position. I put the foam pieces in all 4 of the handles, and the chatter has disappeared completely.
Old 06-23-14, 02:42 PM
dxerg3770
Driver

Originally Posted by lesz
Glad to hear that you are making progress. As I said earlier in the thread, my experience has been that, for the majority of people who think that they are sure that the chatter that they are hearing is coming from B pillar around the seat belt mount or from the window, the real source of the problem is those entry/exit assist handles. One of the reasons why chatter from those handles is likely to be heard by you is because the handle, and, thus, the source of the sound, is only inches from your ear. I'll bet that the other 3 assist handles are making a similar chatter, but, because your ears are not as close, you just aren't hearing their chatter.

You are likely, also, to find that, whether you hear the chatter or not can depend on changes in temperature and humidity.

I've discovered a very simple and quick way to deal with the issue. If you get some foam rubber and cut it into pieces that are about 1 inch square and about 1/2 inch tall, you can stick one square in each of the recesses in the handle itself near where the handle's hinges are. If your squares are a little bigger than the recess, the way that the foam will compress a bit when you put it into the recess will hold the foam in the recess. The presence of the foam will provide a cushion between the handle and the cover that is in your picture, and that cushion should eliminate the chatter. Once the foam is in place, you won't see it at all when the handle is in its normal position. I put the foam pieces in all 4 of the handles, and the chatter has disappeared completely.
In my case, it wasnt the chatter between cover and the handle. Sounds was more of a tape sticking and unsticking kind of sound. It was the square plastic **** rubbing against the fabric that made the sound. The handle was very flimsy and it had a lot of movement . What I basically did was to stop the movement all together. All assist handles are very flimsy in this car. Might eventually have to do this for all 4 of them.
Old 06-25-14, 05:19 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree, the handles on the ES are flimsy. They tend to creak when you grab them or squeeze them. Have you tried spraying a little silicon spray on the hinge and plastic? Sometimes, that lubricates the plastic from rubbing or creaking.

Sorry, but your work-around may "sound" good, but it looks terrible.
Old 09-17-14, 03:55 PM
dxerg3770
Driver

Took my car to the dealer for b-pillar rattle.
Of course, they couldn't duplicate the problem.
They gave me an IS as loaner, it had only 2500 miles on it but EXACTLY same b-pillar rattle as my ES350.
I went to IS forum and searched around and found this thread

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...er-s-side.html

I'll try some of his method when I get my car back tomorrow.

I somehow feel like this rattle is persistent on all newer lexus models.
Old 09-24-14, 03:38 PM
ALIGN
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have noticed that clicking out too on the steering. It sounds like a plastic sticker label on the shaft or steering column that is peeling off and hitting the turn signal switch or something.
Old 10-02-14, 02:36 PM
ALIGN
Driver

I have some rattling issues too that I don't know where the heck is coming from and I got bored last night and just tried doing the handle bar (driver side) just for the heck of it.

WOW! rattle is gone and no more squeaky handle. The squeaky makes the handle bar sounds cheaply made.

I use the hook tool rather than a screw driver. Much easier. You press the pointy hook on the notch opening and pull gently. It will pop a little and do the other end and pull and it will come off completely. Just insulate that metal clip against the body and plastic handle and snap it back in.

It was so easy I did the first one in less than five minutes. So I decided to do the rest of them.
Old 10-02-14, 04:05 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Do you have a picture of the hook tool? Is it an interior pry bar?
Old 10-03-14, 09:48 AM
ALIGN
Driver

I use something like this.
http://precisionrestorationparts.com.../F32237079.jpg

But I found this at Harbor Freight which could probably work. This is also useful for pins like the one on the trunk. I will stop by at Harbor Freight over the weekend and grab one of this. This one looks like it can grad both notches and simply pull. Can't exactly tell based on the picture how small the tips are. I'm hoping it is 3-4mm and that would be perfect.
http://www.harborfreight.com/media/c...mage_16183.jpg

Last edited by ALIGN; 10-03-14 at 09:53 AM.
Old 10-03-14, 03:05 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

I think your hook tool might be easier to pull off caps and covers. Thanks, I'll have to swing by our Harbor Freight.