ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

iPod lock-ups

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-13, 04:34 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 642 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by imz14u2nv
That is actually funny that you mention DVD-Audio, if you read my previous post I mentioned having issues playing my DVD-Audio disc as well, they are working on that at Lexus also. Out of a very large collection of DVD-Audio disc, I have only been able to get 1 to play without issue, this was demonstrated to Lexus so I currently have an open case with them.
I'm surprised they're actually working on an issue regarding DVD-A. I can't find any documentation that states it's a supported format. It does work, though. Some of my disc's only play if I leave the parking brake on, like I was watching a movie. Most others work fine once I select the high res audio layer, while the parking brake is engaged, and then stay playing while driving. I haven't played a disc in a while, due to this process. Are your DVD-A's commercial, or home made?
Old 11-11-13, 05:07 PM
imz14u2nv
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
I'm surprised they're actually working on an issue regarding DVD-A. I can't find any documentation that states it's a supported format. It does work, though. Some of my disc's only play if I leave the parking brake on, like I was watching a movie. Most others work fine once I select the high res audio layer, while the parking brake is engaged, and then stay playing while driving. I haven't played a disc in a while, due to this process. Are your DVD-A's commercial, or home made?
All of my disc are commercial disc purchase at full price I might add, really sucks that I can’t use them anymore.
Old 11-11-13, 05:14 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

All of my disc are commercial disc purchase at full price I might add, really sucks that I can’t use them anymore.
You don't have a home player?

When you say they don't play, are you treating them like a movie to start? Then go to audio options to select the layer? You can play the default DD layer, right?
Old 11-11-13, 05:26 PM
imz14u2nv
Driver

You don't have a home player?

When you say they don't play, are you treating them like a movie to start? Then go to audio options to select the layer? You can play the default DD layer, right?
Yes, I brought a home DVD-Audio player but that was only after getting the car in 2007. The disc were really purchased to play in that vehicle. I started to buy every disc I could get my hands on just to play on the Mark Levinson Audio system in that car.

No, I have not attempted to start them with the parking brake on because with the DVD-Audio disc I never had to do that in the 2007 vehicle, they are not movies so you should not have to do that.

I have changed the default audio to select the Dolby Digital track, but again, only 1 disc works correctly. The others either just don’t play or about 1 second of each track plays and then it skips to the next track.
Old 11-11-13, 05:41 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

No, I have not attempted to start them with the parking brake on because with the DVD-Audio disc I never had to do that in the 2007 vehicle, they are not movies so you should not have to do that.
That's why they don't work. The one disc that is working for you is not playing high res. Like I said, Lexus does not show supporting this, like they did in 2007. You need to jump through hoops to get it to work.
Old 11-12-13, 05:08 AM
imz14u2nv
Driver

Hi,
Well it happened again, I had another lock-up this past Thursday, wasn’t too bad this time only because I knew how to reset it before getting on the road, but it really does suck that this problem exist at all.
Well,
I promise this will be my last post on this issue, just wanted to mention that my iPod locked up again today.
When I first went out to the car all was fine, I made a stop and then about an hour later I stopped again to pick up a prescription and when I came back to the car, the iPod didn’t show up in Media, I checked and of course it was locked again.

Since it looks like this will happen randomly, no point in posting anymore.
Old 11-13-13, 10:08 AM
cliyeh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too have experience the same problems. It's very frustrating and I have spoken w/ the dealership when I took the car in. They said it's probably due to the older model of ipod not being fully 100% compatible. So with that being said I just use the aux plug w/ my classic. Down side is no skipping songs from the steering wheel. Trust me pretty frustrating when it locks up. I personally think it has something to do when the car stops and starts not being able to wake the ipod up.
Old 11-13-13, 03:28 PM
chileboy
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's kind of funny, if you think about it. iPods came to being for that exact reason.
True enough! But they've come a long way since then....

If both of you are playing lossless files, that may be contributing to your issue. There's only so much room in the data pipe. This could also explain my issue. While not lossless, all of my files are 320k.
I have my 240GB iPod loaded with lossless, but the 160GB is all MP3, 320k like you. Interesting what you say about bandwidth though, I wonder if that is part of the issue.

But, again, my old Parrot aftermarket I had in my old ES never had the issue at all.
Old 11-13-13, 03:38 PM
chileboy
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cliyeh
I too have experience the same problems. It's very frustrating and I have spoken w/ the dealership when I took the car in. They said it's probably due to the older model of ipod not being fully 100% compatible. So with that being said I just use the aux plug w/ my classic. Down side is no skipping songs from the steering wheel. Trust me pretty frustrating when it locks up. I personally think it has something to do when the car stops and starts not being able to wake the ipod up.
I don't think it's due to your iPod being old, as I have the newest 7th Gen model that's still being manufactured.

When you say "when the car stops and starts", are you saying your issue is when you start the car your iPod won't wake up (or locks up)? Because I almost never do that, I take the iPod with me when I leave the car, and reconnect it after I've started the car.

As an update, I recently discovered (by accident) that if I just leave the iPod connected, it will usually reboot after a minute or two...but of course, it doesn't pick up where it left off.

- Mark
Old 11-13-13, 04:15 PM
imz14u2nv
Driver

Originally Posted by chileboy
I don't think it's due to your iPod being old, as I have the newest 7th Gen model that's still being manufactured.

When you say "when the car stops and starts", are you saying your issue is when you start the car your iPod won't wake up (or locks up)? Because I almost never do that, I take the iPod with me when I leave the car, and reconnect it after I've started the car.

As an update, I recently discovered (by accident) that if I just leave the iPod connected, it will usually reboot after a minute or two...but of course, it doesn't pick up where it left off.

- Mark
My situation is as follows:
It seems that whenever I take the iPod out of the car, I don’t have any issues. Of course this is a new issue so who knows if the symptoms will change going forward.

So far, it seems that when I leave the iPod in the car, that is when I get the lock-up (So My issue seems to be occurring the same as cliyeh’s), of course again this is a new issue for me as I just started using the iPod, but that has been the scenario for me so far.

As far as the age of the iPod being the issue, I also disagree with your dealer about the age of the iPod, I am using is brand new 7th generation 160GB Classic purchased two weeks ago just for the issue that I was having with the usb port playing music from flash drives.
Old 11-14-13, 04:02 PM
imz14u2nv
Driver

My situation is as follows:
It seems that whenever I take the iPod out of the car, I don’t have any issues. Of course this is a new issue so who knows if the symptoms will change going forward.

So far, it seems that when I leave the iPod in the car, that is when I get the lock-up (So My issue seems to be occurring the same as cliyeh’s), of course again this is a new issue for me as I just started using the iPod, but that has been the scenario for me so far.

As far as the age of the iPod being the issue, I also disagree with your dealer about the age of the iPod, I am using is brand new 7th generation 160GB Classic purchased two weeks ago just for the issue that I was having with the usb port playing music from flash drives.
Ok, so is seems my iPod/Mark Levinson Audio decided that I was getting bored and would like to have things even more inconsistent and confusing.

Today, I went out to do some errands and I plugged in the iPod as normal before leaving home, everything was great. I made my first stop, then I re-entered the vehicle, started the car and the music resumed where it left off (I had not removed the iPod, all seemed normal). Just as I was pulling into my next stop, before I could put the car in park, the iPod stopped playing and the Audio system shut off. I immediately looked at the iPod and it had the Apple logo, yes, it was rebooting. Once the reboot was completed, I was able to select the iPod under media again.

So, now it looks like I have experienced the scenario described by chileboy

Needless to say, however it happens, it sucks!