ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Am I just blind???

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-13, 03:29 AM
dCota
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Am I just blind???

Okay, y'all may laugh -- and that's just fine, because I have just spent the last 15 minutes on my knees with a flashlight trying to find the TPMS reset button.

The manual shows it being slightly to the right and below the fuel door button, but I'm just not finding it!

Am I completely blind, or is it actually located somewhere else?

Anyone?

Thanks much!
-dCota
Old 11-09-13, 03:44 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

It is where the manual says it is. I went through the same experience that you did. I was also down on my hands and knees with a flashlight, and it still took me a long time to find it. Even after having found it, it still took me a few minutes to find it a second time. But it is there.
Old 11-09-13, 06:44 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

I agree with lesz it's difficult to find. Keep looking and get your head way up under the dash. Once you find it you'll go what the h___!

Last edited by LexBob2; 11-09-13 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-09-13, 06:58 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Subsequent to reading and replying to the OP, I was thinking that the smart thing to do the next time that I have a need to find the reset button would be to stick a piece of tape next to it so that it could be more easily found by touch.

On a related item, I'm not sure how accurate the tire pressure monitor actually is. I have three high quality traditional tire pressure gauges, and, when I manually check the tire pressures with them, they all read out the same numbers, but those numbers are consistently about 2 pounds higher than what the Lexus tire pressure monitor says that the pressure is. My understanding was that, if I followed the directions and used the reset button, it was supposed to recalibrate the system. Yet, even though I've done so twice, the system still seems to read pressures as being 2 pounds lower than what my traditional gauges tell me it is.
Old 11-09-13, 09:18 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,286 Likes on 896 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by dCota
Okay, y'all may laugh -- and that's just fine, because I have just spent the last 15 minutes on my knees with a flashlight trying to find the TPMS reset button.

The manual shows it being slightly to the right and below the fuel door button, but I'm just not finding it!

Am I completely blind, or is it actually located somewhere else?

Anyone?

Thanks much!
-dCota
Well guess what? If you're blind then so am I. After reading your post I went out to find the reset button. It's cloudy today here in Pennsylvania so I couldn't find it being dark outside. I'll look later with a flashlight. Why not just put it where it is visible? What about those who don't want to - or can't - kneel on their driveway?
Old 11-09-13, 09:20 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

I don't think using the reset button has any effect on the accuracy of the reading - only the point at which the warning light comes on. I have found that the on dash reading I get on both an ES and a GS are virtually the same as I get with my tire guages with the tires either cold or hot. And I would not think there is anything your dealer could do to improve the calibrate the accuracy of the system.

Dave Mac
Old 11-09-13, 09:56 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Dave Mac
I don't think using the reset button has any effect on the accuracy of the reading - only the point at which the warning light comes on.

Dave Mac
That was what I thought, too, but the wording in the manual has me confused. It says to do a reset every time the tire pressure is changed, and that the pressure at the time of the reset becomes the "benchmark". I'm not quite sure I know what that means.
Old 11-09-13, 10:06 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
That was what I thought, too, but the wording in the manual has me confused. It says to do a reset every time the tire pressure is changed, and that the pressure at the time of the reset becomes the "benchmark". I'm not quite sure I know what that means.
When you press the reset, you're telling it that these pressures (as they exist at that time on the tires) are the nominal desired set pressures (33 on the 300h), and the system should advise me when one or more fall below that amount by some percentage (often 25%, not sure exactly, but significantly below the set point).

You only need to reset if you change the battery, mount new tires, etc. Checking pressure and adding or removing air is all you need to do. The reference below to changing pressure means you have decided to change from the recommended pressure for long highway travel, extra loads, etc., which most of us probably never do.

Per Manual, do a reset when:
● When rotating the tires.
● When the tire inflation pressure is changed such as when changing
traveling speed or load weight.
When the tire pressure warning system is initialized, the current tire
inflation pressure is set as the benchmark pressure.

Last edited by jim256; 11-09-13 at 10:09 AM.
Old 11-09-13, 10:38 PM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Ugh, TPMS is one of the few things I'm not looking forward to on my next car. Terrible mandated feature for those who want more than one set of wheels, can glance at their wheels, or check their pressure every now and then with a 10 dollar gauge.
Old 11-11-13, 08:39 AM
dCota
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for all the replies!

Good to know I'm not blind (or crazy!)
will give it another shot this evening!

-dCota