ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

5K-mile Oil Change Interval too much?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-14, 10:49 AM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's really odd how behind is lexus on this. BMW and others have sensors to monitor the life of the oil. Changin oil should not be a fixed interval. It depends a lot of driving conditions, style, you can change it after 15k miles or 6 k miles the range is really big. I wish they;'ll catch up on that.
Old 03-12-14, 12:44 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,289 Likes on 897 Posts

Originally Posted by keyframe13
It's really odd how behind is lexus on this. BMW and others have sensors to monitor the life of the oil. Changin oil should not be a fixed interval. It depends a lot of driving conditions, style, you can change it after 15k miles or 6 k miles the range is really big. I wish they;'ll catch up on that.
I think that you're absolutely correct. Different driving and operational conditions call for various periods. Add time - i.e intervals where the vehicle is not used consistently - to the mix and the mileage numbers mean even less.
Old 03-12-14, 12:45 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

+1. I totally agree.
Old 03-12-14, 12:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by keyframe13
The difference is BMW is paying for those oil changes LOL, it benefits them to make their interval as efficient as possible. Lexus' customers are paying for their own oil changes, hence no R&D about oil life sensors, etc.
Old 03-12-14, 01:15 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
The difference is BMW is paying for those oil changes LOL, it benefits them to make their interval as efficient as possible. Lexus' customers are paying for their own oil changes, hence no R&D about oil life sensors, etc.
That's a difference but not an excuse for Lexus. 15 yo cars are displaying oil life.
Not saying that would be nice for Lexus to offer free maintenance. BMW is really marketing this against Lexus.
Old 03-12-14, 01:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'm not saying it should be an "excuse", but IMHO its the reason why.

WHEN Lexus starts including service (I think they will eventually) you'll see all of a sudden that technology is there.
Old 03-12-14, 01:43 PM
jonmanch
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have owned five Infinitis. They require/suggest oil changes every 3,750 with tire rotations at 7,500 miles. An oil change costs about $99.95 including all of the fluids and inspections. The service with tire rotation is a little more. I still have one Infiniti under that schedule and it runs as well now 6 years later as it did the day I bought it. Infiniti does not use synthetic oil.

At my Lexus dealership, the service rep told me that you do not have to do everything that the dealer recommends to have done on a service. Perhaps that would reduce the service costs.
Old 03-12-14, 04:13 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jonmanch
I have owned five Infinitis. They require/suggest oil changes every 3,750 with tire rotations at 7,500 miles. An oil change costs about $99.95 including all of the fluids and inspections. The service with tire rotation is a little more. I still have one Infiniti under that schedule and it runs as well now 6 years later as it did the day I bought it. Infiniti does not use synthetic oil.

At my Lexus dealership, the service rep told me that you do not have to do everything that the dealer recommends to have done on a service. Perhaps that would reduce the service costs.
Based on the comments from this forum, you can also take it to any indie shop including the Jiffy Lube's and Speedee's and have the oil changed or service to reduce the cost and still maintain the warranty. If the price of the 15K, 20K and 25K were between $100-150, it's worth it to me to bring it back to the dealer. The 30K service is another story since it's a major service but I'd probably bring it to the dealer if it were around $300. I suspect it's more like doubled that and I may take it to a indie that specializes in Toyota and Lexus.
Old 03-12-14, 05:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I had an interesting experience recently. It has been a very long time since I used the dealer for service that I've paid for. I have a great independent, and I'm happy using him. I had Lexus do the 5 and 10k on mine, my independent did the 15k, charged me I think $70. I had a warranty issue I wanted looked at, and I've been busy and didn't want to take it to my independent and then to the dealer, so I just let the dealer do the 20k.

Well...the cost of the 20k was $195, and they gave me a 10% off coupon, so in reality it was $175. My independent would have been $160. I asked him what they charge for the 5k non oil-change service and he said $95. So...I only paid $15 more to have the dealer do it, and I got a loaner for the day...and a carwash (assuming you let them wash it, they did and f@cked my car up so I got a detailed car and the service for free but thats another story).

Their prices are actually down from when I used to use them. A 5k service with dino oil was $250, this is the same service, with synthetic oil for $75 less...)

So...be sure that having it done elsewhere really is a value.
Old 03-12-14, 05:28 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I had an interesting experience recently. It has been a very long time since I used the dealer for service that I've paid for. I have a great independent, and I'm happy using him. I had Lexus do the 5 and 10k on mine, my independent did the 15k, charged me I think $70. I had a warranty issue I wanted looked at, and I've been busy and didn't want to take it to my independent and then to the dealer, so I just let the dealer do the 20k.

Well...the cost of the 20k was $195, and they gave me a 10% off coupon, so in reality it was $175. My independent would have been $160. I asked him what they charge for the 5k non oil-change service and he said $95. So...I only paid $15 more to have the dealer do it, and I got a loaner for the day...and a carwash (assuming you let them wash it, they did and f@cked my car up so I got a detailed car and the service for free but thats another story).

Their prices are actually down from when I used to use them. A 5k service with dino oil was $250, this is the same service, with synthetic oil for $75 less...)

So...be sure that having it done elsewhere really is a value.
Still having a trusted indie is worth the cost. Perhaps that's why the dealer's prices are lower now.
Old 03-13-14, 06:33 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Oh absolutely, I will still use my mechanic over the dealer, it's more than just saving cost. It just surprised me.
Old 04-01-14, 11:57 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by bgaerttner
Toyota genuine motor oil, which came with your vehicle, is a Mobil 1 0w20 specially formulated full synthetic oil for toyota/Lexus. Oil experts claim it is one of the best 0w20 oils available on the market. For more info you can go to bobistheoilguy.com - all kinds of discussion about it.

Bill G
I agree, it's one of the best. I will alway change my oil every 5k even with synthetic Mobil 1, based on my short trips and potential for moisture built-up. I do black stone oil analysis every so often to make sure I am on track. It would be interesting if a member would do the oil analysis at 10k miles and post the results and what most of their trips encompassed (short) (long) (heavy traffic) etc. it would give everyone some insight.
Old 04-18-14, 10:24 AM
mikeys350
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just bought the wrench from amazon And will be doing my wife's first oil change this weekend. I seen a tool you plug into the canister to drain the oil on a video somewhere. Does that come with the new filter? Where can I get one if it doesnt ?
Old 04-21-14, 02:26 PM
lamikela1
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes the tool comes with the replacement filter cartridge. At least on Fram filters it does... You should get the cartridge, 2 O rings, and the drain tool.
Old 04-21-14, 03:45 PM
mikeys350
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lamikela1
Yes the tool comes with the replacement filter cartridge. At least on Fram filters it does... You should get the cartridge, 2 O rings, and the drain tool.
Yeah I actually did the oil change this past Saturday. Wasn't bad at all really even though I hate the filter setup. Plug came with the from filter I bought and I just kept it in case I buy a different filter next time.

Quick Reply: 5K-mile Oil Change Interval too much?