ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Making a strange noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-14, 10:32 AM
Ronman15
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making a strange noise

I have 2013 es300h with 8500 miles on her, it's almost a year old for about the last two months when I turn off the car it makes a sound like a groan or metal stretching ? I know it sounds funny but has anyone heard any strange noises after turning off there car? Any idea.
Old 01-29-14, 10:36 AM
jonmanch
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

It could be the engine cooling in the cold atmosphere of winter.
Old 01-29-14, 10:45 AM
Ronman15
Driver School Candidate

Thanks jonmanch
Old 01-29-14, 12:58 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,286 Likes on 896 Posts

With the temps we've had up here in the NE lately, I think jonmanch is spot on. Heat expands, cold contracts...
Old 02-20-14, 01:38 PM
Roylieuw
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ronman15
I have 2013 es300h with 8500 miles on her, it's almost a year old for about the last two months when I turn off the car it makes a sound like a groan or metal stretching ? I know it sounds funny but has anyone heard any strange noises after turning off there car? Any idea.
I visited my dealer about my ES300H with what sounds like the same problem this morning. We went for a test drive with a master technician and he explained that the noise is coming from the ABS cycling pump which is normal. As for the cold temp comments, Thursday Feb 20 was warm and the problem was still there. I have had 5 Lexus cars and never heard this noise before or would not have purchased this car.

Last edited by Roylieuw; 02-21-14 at 03:34 AM.
Old 02-20-14, 03:01 PM
MissyBissy
Rookie

I've heard the same strange noise since I bought the car. Glad to know it's not just me.
Old 02-20-14, 05:00 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MissyBissy
I've heard the same strange noise since I bought the car. Glad to know it's not just me.
Are you sure it's not your kids that you left in Saran wrap?
Old 02-21-14, 06:18 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Roylieuw
I have had 5 Lexus cars and never heard this noise before or would not have purchased this car.
You must not have had a hybrid--my third, and they all have some pumps that run at times, and control resets that take place. If you need vacuum pressure for power brakes, and your engine only runs occasionally (like a hybrid does) you need to maintain vacuum boost pressure somehow. Very minor stuff, in my opinion.
Old 02-21-14, 06:23 AM
Lexusxoxo
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will take this noise to save tons of money on gas.. I mean the only time I have heard it is when im in my garage where it's super quiet. And technically I have only heard it twice in 5 months..
Old 02-21-14, 06:47 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Isn't there something in the owners manual advising drivers to expect some noises like this?
Old 02-21-14, 08:45 AM
Roylieuw
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jim256
You must not have had a hybrid--my third, and they all have some pumps that run at times, and control resets that take place. If you need vacuum pressure for power brakes, and your engine only runs occasionally (like a hybrid does) you need to maintain vacuum boost pressure somehow. Very minor stuff, in my opinion.
Correct. First and last hybrid for me. No truck space, no entrance through the truck for my ski's, noisy. My noise is loud. The Lexus Tech heard it. This going going to be a long and painful three year lease for me.
Old 02-21-14, 10:34 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Roylieuw
Correct. First and last hybrid for me. No truck space, no entrance through the truck for my ski's, noisy. My noise is loud. The Lexus Tech heard it. This going going to be a long and painful three year lease for me.
Obviously nothing can be done about the noises.

It's too bad you didn't check the trunk space and no pass thru before leasing the car.
Old 02-21-14, 11:35 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Isn't there something in the owners manual advising drivers to expect some noises like this?
pdf says page 12, around there somewhere. Hard to miss if you read the manual, especially if new to hybrids.

Sounds and vibrations specific to a hybrid vehicle
There may be no engine sounds or vibration even though the vehicle is able to move. For
safety, apply the parking brake and make sure to shift the shift position to P when parked.
The following sounds or vibrations may occur when the hybrid system is operating and are
not a malfunction:
● Motor sounds may be heard from the engine compartment.
● Sounds may be heard from the hybrid battery (traction battery) behind the rear seats
when the hybrid system starts or stops.
● Sounds from the hybrid system may be heard when the trunk lid is open.
● Sounds may be heard from the hybrid transmission when the hybrid system starts or
stops.
● Engine sounds may be heard when accelerating sharply.
● Sounds may be heard due to regenerative braking when the brake pedal is depressed.
● Vibration may be felt when the gasoline engine starts or stops.
● Cooling fan sounds may be heard from the air intake vent on rear left seat.
Old 02-21-14, 11:40 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexBob2
My page references may be off due to the pdf capture, but this is also there, for both hybrid and gas, page 8 of the mini manual

Approximately five hours after the engine <hybrid system> is turned off, you may hear
sound coming from under the vehicle for several minutes. This is the sound of a fuel
evaporation leakage check and, it does not indicate a malfunction.
Old 02-21-14, 02:09 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jim256
My page references may be off due to the pdf capture, but this is also there, for both hybrid and gas, page 8 of the mini manual

Approximately five hours after the engine <hybrid system> is turned off, you may hear
sound coming from under the vehicle for several minutes. This is the sound of a fuel
evaporation leakage check and, it does not indicate a malfunction.
5 Hours? Wow.

Quick Reply: Making a strange noise