ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

2013 ES 350 seat/upholstery issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-14, 10:18 PM
pherbst
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 ES 350 seat/upholstery issue

The front drivers seat in my 2013 ES 350 has started showing what appears to be circular depressions in the seat bottom. I count about 10 depressions that are visible to the eye, theses depressions came be felt if you run your hand across the seat. The car is 10 months old and has just over 10,000 miles on it. These depressions were not visible when the car was new but have become more obvious over time. The seat looks worn well past what it should at this age. The dealers response? "Normal" for the amount of "wear". I traded in a 2007 ES350 that had over 70,000 miles on it and the seats looked almost new. Has anyone else experienced the type of problem that I am having?

Thanks
Old 02-02-14, 08:09 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Can you post a picture? Nu luxe or leather?
Old 02-03-14, 01:30 PM
pherbst
Driver School Candidate

Default Photo

Here is a photo of the driver's seat cushion. You should be able to see about 10 circular depressions.
Attached Thumbnails 2013 ES 350 seat/upholstery issue-lexus-seat.jpg  
Old 02-03-14, 01:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Oh yeah I see it.

Thats certainly not normal. Looks to me like maybe those are holes in the foam that the air comes through for the cooled seats? In any event...that shouldn't be happening and I've never seen the seats on a Lexus look like that...even after 100k miles.

I would insist they replace the seat...
Old 02-03-14, 03:54 PM
scutmud
Driver School Candidate

My car is barely one year old and I have the same problem
Old 02-03-14, 04:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Really?!? I've never seen such a thing...

If you don't mind me asking are you both average size and weight?
Old 02-03-14, 04:53 PM
Lexusxoxo
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this the leather in the UL model?
Old 02-03-14, 06:43 PM
pherbst
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus seat

I believe I Have the Premium Plus, but this is leather not Nulux.

The GM looked at new ES and said he could feel these channels but not see them. In his opinion my 10,000 miles of wear was sufficient to cause this problem. I am appealing this to Lexus.

My theory is that the heated seats get too hot for the leather which is shrinking or distorting and showing these channels. The seats in the 2013 ES get much hotter than those that were in my 2007 ES whose seats looked perfect after 70,000 miles. I think that there is a connection between this problem and Toyotas announcement last week about the suspension of sales of Toyota models with heated seats due to issues with the upholstery. Interestingly, the Avalon was one of them. So if the Avalon is having issues with heated seats, it stands to reason that the ES would as well.

I hope that we hear from more people that are having this same issue as it will help get a recall started.

Thanks to those who have replied so far.
Old 02-03-14, 06:57 PM
mrBillFL
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I would like to see an exploded view of the seat assembly. it looks like thin seat padding. but maybe by design for ventilation....
Old 02-03-14, 07:11 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,014 Likes on 693 Posts

Originally Posted by pherbst

My theory is that the heated seats get too hot for the leather which is shrinking or distorting and showing these channels. The seats in the 2013 ES get much hotter than those that were in my 2007 ES whose seats looked perfect after 70,000 miles. I think that there is a connection between this problem and Toyotas announcement last week about the suspension of sales of Toyota models with heated seats due to issues with the upholstery. Interestingly, the Avalon was one of them. So if the Avalon is having issues with heated seats, it stands to reason that the ES would as well.
I have no idea whether their is a connection between the seat heaters and what is happening to your seats, but I do know that the seat heaters on my 2013 ES put out, by far, more heat than did/do the seat heaters on any other vehicle that I've ever owned with heated seats. With the ES, the lowest setting puts out more heat than does the highest setting on my GX, and leaving the ES seats on anything other than the lowest setting, even on the coldest days, quickly becomes, for me, uncomfortable.
Old 02-04-14, 07:27 AM
amphipri0n
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lesz
I have no idea whether their is a connection between the seat heaters and what is happening to your seats, but I do know that the seat heaters on my 2013 ES put out, by far, more heat than did/do the seat heaters on any other vehicle that I've ever owned with heated seats. With the ES, the lowest setting puts out more heat than does the highest setting on my GX, and leaving the ES seats on anything other than the lowest setting, even on the coldest days, quickly becomes, for me, uncomfortable.
Same experience here, the seat heaters in this ES heat up faster than anything I've experienced. The initial surge of heat before it settles into the selected temperature range comes very quickly.

The pictures posted at 10,000 miles has me concerned somewhat since I also just passed 10k and it would be a shame to see this. I'll have to inspect them carefully next time I'm out for a drive.
Old 02-04-14, 08:57 AM
pherbst
Driver School Candidate

Default ES Seats

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Really?!? I've never seen such a thing...

If you don't mind me asking are you both average size and weight?
Well, I am overweight (290) but my 2007 ES did not look anywhere near this after 70,000 miles, And I have noticed that the passenger seat is starting to do the same, but not to the extent as the driver side. My wife is the usual passenger over there and she is about 135. The seat backs are doing the same thing.

I am planning on taking my car to an auto upholstery shop to get their opinion on the seats.

Last edited by pherbst; 02-04-14 at 09:02 AM.
Old 02-04-14, 09:02 AM
pherbst
Driver School Candidate

Default Seat Padding

Originally Posted by mrBillFL
I would like to see an exploded view of the seat assembly. it looks like thin seat padding. but maybe by design for ventilation....
I believe that these depressions are for the seat ventilation/cooling. If you feel the seat bottoms you should be able to feel these depressions and channels that connect between them.
Old 02-04-14, 01:44 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Disturbing, but they do look like they're depressions for the ventilation. Nonetheless, you shouldn't experience this. I don't have this problem .... yet.
Old 02-05-14, 07:05 AM
chazman6
Driver School Candidate

Default Heated Seat safety issue ?

Could this situation be related to the safety concerns announced last week about materials used in heated seats of 6 Toyota manufactured vehicles ?

Has anyone heard/seen which models are affected.?

Quick Reply: 2013 ES 350 seat/upholstery issue