ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Re-program sensors for tire pressure

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-14, 04:23 PM
edablx13
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re-program sensors for tire pressure

I have two sets of tires on rims, winter and summer set. 2013 Lexus ES 350.

What is the process to re-program the sensors for the tire pressure?

In the future, I am planning to swap the tires myself. Yes/No?

What is the recommended torque on the wheel studs?

What do other Lexus owners do?
Old 05-18-14, 06:49 PM
atoyota
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you have sensors in the second set of rims, the dealer has to program those in the first time. After that the car recognizes the sensors. There is a thread from just before winter.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...now-tires.html

If you don't have sensors in the second set of rims, you will need to buy them.
Old 05-18-14, 07:31 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

I believe that you can program/register the sensors yourself if you have Toyota Techstream software, which you can buy on Amazon along with an OBD connector for about $30. It may also be the case that you can do it yourself with the Carista app for Android phones, which is discussed and page 2 (and later) in this thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...d-settings.htm

(I haven't used the Carista app, but, if it can do with Techstream does, I would guess that it would work.)
Old 05-26-14, 05:14 AM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
I believe that you can program/register the sensors yourself if you have Toyota Techstream software, which you can buy on Amazon along with an OBD connector for about $30. It may also be the case that you can do it yourself with the Carista app for Android phones, which is discussed and page 2 (and later) in this thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...d-settings.htm

(I haven't used the Carista app, but, if it can do with Techstream does, I would guess that it would work.)
Thanks for thinking of Carista, but as of now, we don't support TPMS programming. We do plan to add this functionality soon though, so stay tuned!

(in the mean time, yes, Techstream works, but keep in mind that what you buy for $30 is a pirated version... plus, it requires a laptop)
Old 05-27-14, 02:52 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow, I didn't know that programming the tire sensors were that involved and required the dealer or via Techstream. When I was at Costco inquiring about new tires with TPMS, they seem to deal with this all day long and NBD. Maybe I'm a bit naive here.
Old 05-27-14, 02:54 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Arty101
Wow, I didn't know that programming the tire sensors were that involved and required the dealer or via Techstream. When I was at Costco inquiring about new tires with TPMS, they seem to deal with this all day long and NBD. Maybe I'm a bit naive here.
I'm sure that the tire dealers have all of the software needed to program TPMS from all manufacturers. With the software, the actual programming is a simple and quick process.
Old 05-28-14, 06:05 AM
atoyota
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Arty101
The TPMS is in the wheel/rim so it isn't a big deal if you are just putting new tires on the same rims. You (or the tire reseller) can adjust or reset the base line yourself which is helpful if you increase or decrease tire pressure because of driving conditions or load. You only have to have the dealer (or software) to do it is you are adding a new TPMS to one or more of your existing rims or adding a additional rims with TPMS for winter/snow tires.
Old 05-28-14, 10:59 AM
TitanTPMS
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One way around all this is to clone your sensors. You can have to sets of wheels with the same IDS so when you swap wheels/TPMS the car doesn't know the difference and no relearn/deanship visit required!!!! We also sell an OBD tool just for this purpose winter/summer swap if cloning is not an option for you!
Old 06-04-14, 12:04 AM
RAMON702
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This was a big problem for me when I purchased my 20's with new Oro-Tek TPMS sensors. I wanted to keep the stock TPMS sensors on my stocks in case I ever swapped them out. I went to many different tire shops like Goodyear, Firestone, and Ted Weins and they could program them for the warning light, but they couldnt get them to work on the dash display for the psi. Lexus dealer told me they could try but couldnt guarantee it would work (didnt want to shell out $200 on a maybe). I ended up putting my stock TPMS sensors on the 20's, works perfectly.
Old 03-11-18, 09:03 AM
gamma742
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

What happens when you rotate your tires?

The TPMS on my dash shows the orientation of the tires and which one is low. If the tires are rotated front to back, wouldn't the sensor then show the rear tire low when in fact it is the front?
Old 03-11-18, 02:52 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 714 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by gamma742

The TPMS on my dash shows the orientation of the tires and which one is low. If the tires are rotated front to back, wouldn't the sensor then show the rear tire low when in fact it is the front?
I had never thought of that. That’s an excellent question. I hope someone on here can answer the question as I would be curious as well.
Old 03-11-18, 03:22 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ward6096

I had never thought of that. That’s an excellent question. I hope someone on here can answer the question as I would be curious as well.
In the manual it says that the TPMS needs to re-initialized the with the button on the bottom of the dash every time the tires are rotated.

From the 2017 ES manual, page 444.

"■ The tire pressure warning system must be initialized in the following circumstances:
● When rotating the tires.
● When the tire inflation pressure is changed such as when changing traveling
speed or load weight.
When the tire pressure warning system is initialized, the current tire inflation
pressure is set as the benchmark pressure."

In other threads here, people have posted and said that there is no problem it the system is not re-initialized after rotation, but I suspect that it may be the case that, when those people had the tires rotated, the dealer re-initialized the system the system after the rotation was done, and the customer didn't realize that they had done so.

In any case, after rotations, I have made it a practice to re-initialize the TPMS. It only takes a few seconds to do so.
The following users liked this post:
jollick (03-11-18)
Old 03-11-18, 03:59 PM
gamma742
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

I think there is more to it than just resetting the TPMS.

This video shows that here is no learning of the TPMS IDs they must be typed in manually.

Resetting the TPMS sets the monitoring service at a specific tire pressure not the orientation of the tire.

Last edited by gamma742; 03-11-18 at 04:05 PM.
Old 03-11-18, 04:01 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 714 Likes on 522 Posts

Thanks Les. I should have referred to the manual but the question hadn’t occurred to me previously so hadn’t researched it.
Old 03-12-18, 06:02 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

I think there is more to it than just resetting the TPMS.

This video shows that here is no learning of the TPMS IDs they must be typed in manually.
First, that video is related to replacing defective sensors and registering the new sensors. It has nothing to do with what happens when the tires are rotated and whether the system needs to be re-initialized to correctly recognize tire orientation. Also, the vehicle in the video is an 8 year old Toyota Hilander. At that time the TPMS was not as advanced as the systems used on more recent Toyota/Lexus vehicles, and that older system did not even give separate pressure readouts for each of the individual wheels. It simply had a warning light that turned on when any one of the tires had low pressure.

Resetting the TPMS sets the monitoring service at a specific tire pressure not the orientation of the tire.
I don't know how you are coming to that conclusion from anything in the video. If re-initializing the TPMS was not needed to allow the system to properly recognize the tire orientation, why would the manual say that the system needs to be re-initialized after the tires are rotated?

Quick Reply: Re-program sensors for tire pressure