ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Carpet Mat wear after one month

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-14, 06:11 AM
Mhobizal
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Carpet Mat wear after one month

I've only had my ES300h month and I can it looks like the driver side carpet mat is already showing wear. Anyone else experiencing this too?
Old 06-01-14, 06:40 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

There is no question that carpet mats are going to start to show some wear almost immediately. I think the wear is a reality for carpet material. If you think about it, the carpet or carpet mat in a car is going to be getting continuous wear in the same spots, and that is especially true for the spots where your heals are resting and repeatedly rubbing against the carpet material. You probably put as much wear on those spots in a few weeks as you would put on a carpet in your house in a few years.

I was thinking a bit about vehicle floors over the decades. There used to be a time, many years ago, when the standard material for car floors was rubber, and we thought about vehicle floors in a very utilitarian manner. Somewhere along the line, we thought that it would be nice to have carpet on the floors, but, when we started getting cars with carpet on the floors, we quickly saw that those carpets wore very quickly. That is when we started to buy carpet mats to protect the actual carpet on the floors. But we quickly noticed that those carpet mats started to show wear quickly. So, now, we look for ways to protect the carpet mats that are supposed to protect the actual carpet.

I've gotten into the habit, as soon as I buy a vehicle, to buy custom-fit all-weather mats. While they might not have the plush look of carpet, they do a good job of protecting the carpet, and when I sell or trade in a vehicle, I have new looking mats to put back into the car. The alternative would be just to let the carpet mats wear out and spend $125-150 for a new set when that happens.

I might add that the only carpet mats that I've had that haven't started to show wear quickly were ones that were designed with a rubber insert in the surface of the mat where the driver's heals are going to rest. Some manufacturers design their carpet mats with such inserts, and I wish that Lexus did the same.

I know that quite a few people here use the Lexus all-weather mats. I have Weathertech all-weather mats in both my GX and ES, and I'm a big fan of their products.

Last edited by lesz; 06-01-14 at 06:44 AM.
Old 06-01-14, 07:02 AM
shotofwine
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

weathertech for me as well. Black mats on the tan interior color and it looks better than the tan mats that came with the car.
Old 06-01-14, 09:52 AM
Nelexus88
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by shotofwine
weathertech for me as well. Black mats on the tan interior color and it looks better than the tan mats that came with the car.
+2
Same here.
FWIW, Weathertech makes both mats and inserts which have the higher sides for really big messes.
Old 06-01-14, 11:36 AM
coach1
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lloyd's premium floor and cargo....as soon as I show any wear.
Old 06-01-14, 05:01 PM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

WeatherTech are fine to protect the carpets if you live in very inclement weather and don't mind the truck look. Yeah, they do protect. Obviously they're not for me personally. I see it as putting seat covers on fine furniture or fake sheepskins over leather seats.

To each his own.....
Old 06-01-14, 06:37 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,286 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by Canesguy
WeatherTech are fine to protect the carpets if you live in very inclement weather and don't mind the truck look. Yeah, they do protect. Obviously they're not for me personally. I see it as putting seat covers on fine furniture or fake sheepskins over leather seats.

To each his own.....
I'm with you. The thought of looking at the Weather tech name molded into the mat each time I enter the car is enough for me...
Old 06-01-14, 06:51 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
I'm with you. The thought of looking at the Weather tech name molded into the mat each time I enter the car is enough for me...
The Weathertech name does appear prominently and is easily seen on their liners. On their all-weather mats, however, the only place that their name appears is in very small letters, which are the same color as the mats, and they are at the very back edge of the mat where the front of the seat actually blocks the view of the letters. In fact, in both my GX and the ES, I didn't even realize for a long time that their name was on the mats. I never noticed it there until one time when I removed the mats from the vehicle to clean them.
Old 06-01-14, 08:48 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

I think Lexus floor mats have an almost legendary poor wear problems which appears quite soon after delivery. Not only do they wear quickly but they soil even quicker. I don't have to deal with winter conditions in Arizona and don't like even the well fitting Weathertech mats so usually just look for some Lexus Mats on ebay or Craigslist and change them maybe midway through my 36 month lease. Buying mats from Lexus parts is costly although you can probaly do better with some of the dealers giving CL members a discount. If it is of any consolation the Lexus mats seem to show some wear real quicly and then kind of level off a bit. The way they start you would think they would be gone in six months.

If you do go with rubber mats be sure to buy some quality like Weathertech. Poor fitting Pep Boys mats are both unsightly and can be dangerous.

Dave Mac
Old 06-02-14, 09:11 AM
atoyota
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mhobizal
I've only had my ES300h month and I can it looks like the driver side carpet mat is already showing wear. Anyone else experiencing this too?
I have not noticed any appreciable change in mine since I got the car in July of last year, but I do vacuum the driver mat at least weekly with a small Metro Vacuum Vac 'N' Go 500-Watt Hi-Performance Hand Vac that I keep in the garage for just that purpose. I went with black interior and foresaw the need. I can't recall if I saw this vac recommended in the detailing forum or not, but I can attest to its light weight and effectiveness.
Old 06-02-14, 09:19 AM
atoyota
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Canesguy

To each his own.....
I agree about the interior mats for sure and there is some sound dampening effect of the carpet you don't get with rubber mats. I would put a weathertech mat in the trunk for sure if they made one for the hybrid (they didn't the last time I checked) since I still do occasionally need to bring something home from Lowes (soil, fertilizer, plants, CHARCOAL). I have been putting a tarp down in the trunk to keep from soiling the carpet there, but a mat like weathertech for potential wet stuff or spills would be nice too.
Old 06-02-14, 09:24 AM
atoyota
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bc6152
You can get all weather mats from Lexus with the Lexus name/model on them from Lexus.
http://www.lexus.com/models/ES/features/accessories/
Old 06-02-14, 09:57 AM
cavedawg
Rookie

atoyota:

I posted this reply on the "rubberized trunk mat" thread and will post it here also;

I just purchased a 2013 ES300h a few days ago. The dealer told me that they did not make an all weather trunk mat for that model. I was trading in my 2012 Camry hybrid and had the all weather trunk mat in it (black). I took the mat out of the Camry and it was a perfect fit in the Lexus 300h and it has about a 1" lip all around so liquids will not run off the edges. It does say "Camry" in white letters but if that bothers you, get a black magic marker and have at it. You could go to a Toyota dealer and if they have one in stock you could try it before you buy it. The Camry trunk mat is different from the Camry hybrid so make sure which one you get and for MY 2012 - 2014. For a picture, search ebay --

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...y+oem&_sacat=0

Hope this helps.

C

Last edited by cavedawg; 06-02-14 at 10:09 AM.
Old 06-02-14, 11:14 AM
atoyota
Pole Position

Thanks cavedawg. I didn't think about trying the Camry hybrid trunk mat. I would have kept mine when I traded had I known. I don't mind that it says Camry or Weathertech, especially in the trunk, I just didn't think the trunk mats for ES300h were available from Weathertech.
Old 06-02-14, 11:23 AM
cavedawg
Rookie

atoyota:

Mine was a Toyota Camry Hybrid OEM not the weathertech and it is as close to a perfect fit as you can get. Call around to your local Toyota dealers to see if the have one in stock and try it. I got mine off ebay from a Toyota parts seller in FL. Seems Lexus could get the same company to make them and have "LEXUS" in the mold where "CAMRY" is now.

C

Last edited by cavedawg; 06-02-14 at 11:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Carpet Mat wear after one month