ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Recent prices paid for 2014 ES?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-14, 12:23 PM
Lexusxoxo
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bbyboomer
I have a 2013 ES but looking for another color with the ULTRA luxury package. I'm having better luck digging for diamonds in the desert. My dealership scanned the area all the way to California with no luck.They say the best time to buy is at end of year when the new models are hitting the floor. If the dealership is "way overstocked" you're in luck.Lots of wiggle room on the price. I've always bought my cars in or around December.
What color are you looking for?
Old 07-30-14, 12:25 PM
Lexusxoxo
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lesz
There could also be another factor at play with regard to availability of an ES 300h with the UL package. Even though we are probably still at least 2-3 months away from the time when 2015 ES vehicles will be available, it could be the case that Lexus has already started to ramp down production of the 2014 vehicles in preparation for production of the 2015 vehicles. If that is the case, it would be likely that some combinations of packages and equipment might no longer be available, even via a special order. The apparent scarcity of 2014 ES 300h vehicles with the UL package could well be an indication that Lexus has, in fact, stopped producing that combination for 2014 models and that the last ones made were sent to specific regions where Lexus felt that the demand for them might be the greatest. In any case, I would think that the availability of specific package and equipment combinations would be greater with 2015 vehicles once they do become available.
I was told they only built the 300h UL package in early 2014 and they are no longer making them period. But that's just was two Ca dealers told me.
Old 07-30-14, 03:27 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,015 Likes on 693 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexusxoxo
I was told they only built the 300h UL package in early 2014 and they are no longer making them period. But that's just was two Ca dealers told me.
While there can be advantages with regard to price to buying a car late in the model year, there are also disadvantages. In particular, if you want a specific package or combination of options and if production of vehicles so equipped has ended, you may have a difficult time finding what you want. Further, even if a car is more heavily discounted at the end of the model year, much of the financial benefit of buying such a car is lost because, in just a short amount of time, that vehicle is going to have lost a significant amount of money via depreciation because it is already virtually a year old.

It should also be noted that, even if production has not stopped on the vehicle that you want with a specific combination of package and options and even if you are able to special order what you want, you are very unlikely to be offered a discount on a special order vehicle that comes even close to what you would be able to get on a vehicle that is already in the dealership's inventory.

Thus, it may be the case that, if you want a vehicle with a specific package and set of options, the best time to do so is early enough in the model year when there is a plentiful supply of vehicles that fit your specifications in dealer inventories.
Old 07-30-14, 04:57 PM
laozi12
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2014 ES350 MSRP 45,297. Dealer discounted 2,000 so 42,297. I think that is way too high. What should I be looking at? In ohio.
Old 07-30-14, 05:22 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by laozi12
2014 ES350 MSRP 45,297. Dealer discounted 2,000 so 42,297. I think that is way too high. What should I be looking at? In ohio.
Either your math is off and it is a $3000 discount or else your MSRP or selling price is not correct.
Old 07-30-14, 05:31 PM
laozi12
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lesz
Either your math is off and it is a $3000 discount or else your MSRP or selling price is not correct.
Ah sorry, should be $44,297.
Old 07-30-14, 06:05 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by laozi12
Ah sorry, should be $44,297.
You have the misfortune of living in one of the areas of the US where Lexus pricing is the least buyer friendly. When you get into the interior of the country from around Ohio, Michigan, etc. and extending to Illinois, Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, etc., selling prices for Lexus vehicles are significantly higher than they are in other areas.

The $2000 discount from MSRP is probably pretty much in line with what others in the interior of the country are paying for a 2014 Lexus and that is about a 4.5% discount from MSRP. If you lived in Southern California, you would likely expect a discount from MSRP of more than twice what you are like to get in the interior of the country. You might be able to get another $200-300 off of the price, but I doubt that you will get much lower than that unless you wait until about the time when the 2015 ES becomes available. Note that, before posting, I did confirm the numbers with Edmunds and KBB. Not only are their numbers pretty much in line, for Ohio, with what you are being offered, but they seem to be pretty consistent with what people in your general area are paying. One of the "good news" items is that, because there is less discounting of new vehicles in your region, there is also likely to be less depreciation on a used vehicle, and you are likely to get more for a trade-in than you would get for the same vehicle if you were in an area like Southern California.

Also note that all of what I said above is contingent on the dealer not padding its profits by undervaluing your trade in, using lease or finance terms favorable to the dealership, adding on dealer installed options, or selling you high markup add-ons like an extended warranty or appearance protection plan. If the dealership is using any of these means to pad its profits, it could offer you a $5000 discount and still make a bigger profit than if it was giving you a $2000 discount and not using any of these profit padding devices.
Old 08-05-14, 06:02 AM
zrahman
Driver School Candidate

MSRP was around 45k.

White on Black with these options: BSM, Spoiler, Lux Package, All Weather mats, HDD Nav

Paid 38, 500 on the ES 350 base
Friend got a fully loaded Hybrid at same time with remote start for 42, 250.

Mid month purchase in Chantilly, VA