ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Looking to get out of a lease.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-14, 06:16 PM
Lexusxoxo
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking to get out of a lease.

Which lexus dealer in Southern California pays the most?
I'm trying to sell my car and Car Max was laughable.
I have a fully loaded 2013 300h with 11k miles and car max wanted to give me 34k.
One another Lexus dealer said 36k. I'm hoping for around 38 or 39k.
Just wondering if anyone had good luck selling there car to a Lexus dealer for a fair price?
Old 06-08-14, 06:31 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

I don't live anywhere close to Southern California, and I, therefore, can't help you with your specific question, but one of the market realities is that, in the Southern California market, the discounting on new vehicles is so high, perhaps the highest in the country, and, in any market, depreciation starts from the typical selling price of new vehicles, not from MSRP for the new vehicles. Thus, in markets where there is heavy discounting of new vehicles, you can expect prices for 1 or 2 year old vehicles to be dramatically lower than they would be in markets where new vehicles are not so heavily discounted. If you think about it, when a buyer can buy a brand new and fully loaded 2014 ESh for, say, $44,000, the price that it is going to take to convince that buyer to buy a year old 2013 with 11,000 miles is going to have to be substantially lower than $44,000. Then, consider that, if you sell/trade it to a dealer or to CarMax, they are going to expect to make a reasonable profit, too. While you might reasonably expect to get $38,000-40,000 for your 2013 from a private party, I'm not sure that you are likely to get that much from a dealer or from CarMax.
Old 06-08-14, 09:21 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry to hear about trying to get out of your lease and the prices you're getting. I agree with Lesz that you won't get much if the market for new cars are so competitive and they're selling near cost in SoCal. The secondary market will be similarly impacted, as well as the first two years have the greatest depreciation for most cars including Lexus.

You might also think about turning it in on another Lexus lease, if you so desire. Another member posted that they turned their mid lease and upgraded to a GS with the same terms. I'm not sure if that's in the cards for you.

I hope your not canceling because of a problem or issue with your ES. Good luck to you.
Old 06-09-14, 08:07 AM
Lexusxoxo
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Arty101
Sorry to hear about trying to get out of your lease and the prices you're getting. I agree with Lesz that you won't get much if the market for new cars are so competitive and they're selling near cost in SoCal. The secondary market will be similarly impacted, as well as the first two years have the greatest depreciation for most cars including Lexus.

You might also think about turning it in on another Lexus lease, if you so desire. Another member posted that they turned their mid lease and upgraded to a GS with the same terms. I'm not sure if that's in the cards for you.

I hope your not canceling because of a problem or issue with your ES. Good luck to you.
I still love my ES but we just moved to a beach area where parking is awful and I would just hate to get door dings or worst on this gorgeous car. Plus parallel parking is much easier in a smaller car.