ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

May be getting a 15 ES 350 for Christmas

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-14, 04:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by txes
Three blink turn signals One touch setting for dual climate control No cross traffic alert No touch lock/unlock area on rear door handles Little things you get used to and wonder why your more expensive Lexus doesn't have them.
It's that the RX is a 5+ year old platform at this point and the ES is all new. The RX also being an SUV will always be a little less equipped and a little lower quality inside than the sedan that shares its price point. You'll find the same with the GX vs the GS, LX vs the LS, etc.
Old 11-29-14, 06:54 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Or even the RX vs NX. The NX feels like a GS inside, a bit snug but the materials quality is outstanding. The soft touch plastics and hard surfaces on an NX feel a lot nicer than on an RX.
Old 11-29-14, 07:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chromedome
Or even the RX vs NX. The NX feels like a GS inside, a bit snug but the materials quality is outstanding. The soft touch plastics and hard surfaces on an NX feel a lot nicer than on an RX.
Thats the newer platform vs the older platform. I would expect the material quality to be much better on the next generation RX.

I haven't sat in an NX yet, but the pictures look great. The current RX has always really disappointed me inside. Lots of hard touch plastics in areas where you routinely touch (such as the area around the gear shift, my fingernails always drag that plastic and it just feels grating) and the console.
Old 11-30-14, 06:34 PM
uncle
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
It's that the RX is a 5+ year old platform at this point and the ES is all new. The RX also being an SUV will always be a little less equipped and a little lower quality inside than the sedan that shares its price point. You'll find the same with the GX vs the GS, LX vs the LS, etc.
I have both, an 2013 EX350, and a 2015 RX350. The RX350 is very bit the quality, fit, finish, and equipment that I have, or could have on my ES. The engine/drive train is the same.
Old 11-30-14, 06:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by uncle
I have both, an 2013 EX350, and a 2015 RX350. The RX350 is very bit the quality, fit, finish, and equipment that I have, or could have on my ES. The engine/drive train is the same.
I have some issues with material quality standpoint with the new ES, those issues are well documented here. So to me, quite frankly neither vehicle appeals to me in that regard.

But, with that said, I do think theres a difference when it comes to product quality between the two. The RX carpeting isn't quite as nice, the gauge cluster isn't quite as polished looking, The ES has smart key access at all 4 doors, the RX only has it on the front two. I think the leather is a little better in the ES, the ES has available semi-aniline leather which is a big upgrade that the RX doesn't have available. The ES has a stitched dash, switchgear is to me a little better in the ES. Little things, but you see that when comparing a similar tier SUV vs sedan, when you compare the sedan to the coupe then the coupe tends to be a little bit better. Not just a Lexus thing.
Old 12-01-14, 07:07 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,621 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Originally Posted by txes
Three blink turn signals
One touch setting for dual climate control
No cross traffic alert
No touch lock/unlock area on rear door handles

Little things you get used to and wonder why your more expensive Lexus doesn't have them.
I too wish the RX had the touch sensors on the rear doors, as well as cross traffic alert (such a great feature!). However, the three blink turn signals have been added to the '15 RX.
Old 12-01-14, 07:09 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

I think the leather is a little better in the ES, the ES has available semi-aniline leather which is a big upgrade that the RX doesn't have available.
Semi-aniline leather is available on the RX. It's included in the Luxury Package.
Old 12-01-14, 09:05 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Canesguy
JT4, I like the choice of cars in your stable. Two divergent types of vehicles that cover about all moods and purposes!
Thank you.. Yeah you're right you really couldn't get two more different vehicles. But they're both perfect for our needs.

I love my V, especially the exclusivity of it. It's very rare that I see another one the road. But I will admit, the RC-F has me thinking...
Old 12-01-14, 09:13 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I too wish the RX had the touch sensors on the rear doors, as well as cross traffic alert (such a great feature!). However, the three blink turn signals have been added to the '15 RX.
I also like that you can adjust the "three blink signals" to flash 3, 5, 7, 9 or 11 times in the LPS.

Last edited by JT4; 12-01-14 at 09:48 AM.
Old 12-01-14, 08:41 PM
roxy208
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Our salesman gave me a loner ES for a couple of days and I love it. This one has the ultra luxury package, panaramic sun roof, ML sound, and a lot of other upgrades. The problem is, of all the inventory in the area (Houston) all the ESs with the ultra lux pk have parchment interior.
Now I'm a neat freak. ( and that's an understatement ) any thoughts on keeping it clean? My better judgement tells me to pass and either wait for one with black or grey interior or go without ultra lux pk.
Any thoughts?
Old 12-01-14, 09:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

My 2010 ES was Parchment, honestly keeping it clean wasn't that big a deal. For the seats I would get this for cleaning off dye transfer:

http://www.autogeek.net/ultima-interior-shampoo.html

And this to provide a barrier of protection for the leather against stains and transfer:

http://www.autogeek.net/leather-protection-cream.html

Your biggest problem will be dye transfer from jeans, but also cashmere/wool coats, etc. But...you'll have this issue with grey too. The benefit of the grey is the black carpets. As for the Parchment carpets, just keep the mats clean. If they get stained...a brand new set of mats is like $100.

I cleaned the seats when I saw transfer, and treated them with the protection cream maybe once every couple months. No big deal.

I like the Parchment on the ES personally. It looks rich, and it helps hide some of the lower rent plastics on the interior. Thats why I chose it for the 2010 and I was happy with it.
Old 12-02-14, 06:58 AM
roxy208
Pit Crew

My 2010 ES was Parchment, honestly keeping it clean wasn't that big a deal. For the seats I would get this for cleaning off dye transfer:

http://www.autogeek.net/ultima-interior-shampoo.html

And this to provide a barrier of protection for the leather against stains and transfer:

http://www.autogeek.net/leather-protection-cream.html

Your biggest problem will be dye transfer from jeans, but also cashmere/wool coats, etc. But...you'll have this issue with grey too. The benefit of the grey is the black carpets. As for the Parchment carpets, just keep the mats clean. If they get stained...a brand new set of mats is like $100.

I cleaned the seats when I saw transfer, and treated them with the protection cream maybe once every couple months. No big deal.

I like the Parchment on the ES personally. It looks rich, and it helps hide some of the lower rent plastics on the interior. Thats why I chose it for the 2010 and I was happy with it.
Thanks for the opinion. I honestly love the way it looks but I have saddle interior in my RX and even that gets the dye stain, mostly from my jeans.
I'm going to get these products for the RX even if I don't get the ES.
The whiite ES with thre parchment is very elegant.
Old 12-02-14, 07:03 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by roxy208
Thanks for the opinion. I honestly love the way it looks but I have saddle interior in my RX and even that gets the dye stain, mostly from my jeans.
I'm going to get these products for the RX even if I don't get the ES.
The whiite ES with thre parchment is very elegant.
Oh yeah, the flaxen interior in my GS (about two shades lighter than your saddle) gets them too. Anything other than black does pretty much. You'll love those products.
Old 12-05-14, 08:05 PM
roxy208
Pit Crew

Fell in love with a silver lining met / black interior, ultra lux pk. Picking it up Monday.
Old 12-05-14, 08:15 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by roxy208
Fell in love with a silver lining met / black interior, ultra lux pk. Picking it up Monday.
Awesome! Great color choice!

I look forward to you posting some pictures next week!

Quick Reply: May be getting a 15 ES 350 for Christmas