ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Dealer traps ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-14 | 10:59 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Canesguy
I agree with all of the above posts.

I really feel that dealerships often keep you waiting to go into the finance office at a time when you are anxious to leave with your new ride. That plus infatuation with the new car makes you vulnerable to their tactics. Besides the obvious requests for add-ons, watch the final settlement sheet for ANY unexplained charges/fees. Examples include glass etching with the car's VIN number for insurance savings and security considerations, so they say. This can set you back from $800-1400, and they can say "but it was already added to the car". This excuse too should be refused, saying simply, "I do not want this and will not pay for it". Be prepared to tell them with ANY and all unwanted and extra cost items and charges that you will walk from the deal. Recently, with the same warnings given to a friend, he said he got out of the finance manager's office unscathed. Further questioning from me learned that he got taken for $400 paint sealant that they sold him on......worthless....so, watch it closely!

I have personally gotten many of these undesired add-ons deleted for even refunded, and by multiple car makes and dealerships.
Interesting. When I went through the Finance Manager, she too offered the same things. However, they did point out the etched vin on glass that was already done and added. They said that would automatically defected in the final sale price which it was. Although I did bite on the prepaid dent less repair for 5 years.
Old 02-21-15 | 12:20 PM
r3guru
Driver School Candidate

Try and take delivery in your own time. If you can suggest 24-48 hours, after you agree a price for the car it gives you time to think thru what 'adds' you want or don't want. Dealer 'adds' like pinstripe, tint are a pain, they just create friction - never pay for them.

Know your numbers up front - and if you are financing know what the best rate available from your local credit union might be. Refuse to pay anything above what you calculate - I've had dealers try and add advertising fees, or charge $500 document fees.

Politely ask them not to up sell. That you only wish to buy the vehicle, no additional items whatsoever. If they continue to try and up sell items, remind them that you asked them to refrain from upselling and again you only wish to buy the vehicle. Generally this creates an embarrassing situation for the finance guy and he will quit pressuring and get you out of the door pretty quickly.

100% of the time you can buy the same items outside of the car transaction for less.