ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Changing OEM to Whiter Halogen Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-15 | 01:50 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

I think you'd use HIR2 for the fogs or low beams (halogens). These seem to be a better alternative for the halogen fogs.
Old 03-22-17 | 09:10 PM
rb2010
Rookie

Did anyone ever try those HIR bulbs? Also, do they produce white color? I am pretty happy with brightness, just wanted the color to match with LED DRLs.
Old 03-22-17 | 09:29 PM
biglexfan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rb2010
Did anyone ever try those HIR bulbs? Also, do they produce white color? I am pretty happy with brightness, just wanted the color to match with LED DRLs.
I don't think any of the aftermarket halogen bulbs advertise them as HIR anymore. Nevertheless I did buy a pair of Philips X-treme vision halogen bulbs from Amazon earlier this year hoping that it would be brighter and less yellow but it was really just a waste of money. The factory fitted halogen bulbs (also a Philips) are just as bright and about the same colour temperature as the aftermarket ones.

If you like to get a better colour match to your DRL, you should consider H11 6000K LED bulbs instead. There are many other threads discussing this same topic.
Old 03-22-17 | 09:40 PM
biglexfan
Driver School Candidate

Just to add...I am just waiting for my headlight halogen bulbs to kaput first before ordering LED replacements. I have already replaced my factory fitted 19W halogen fog lights with 6000K LED bulbs (same brightness) and I'm very happy with the colour match to the DRL.
Old 03-22-17 | 09:54 PM
rb2010
Rookie

I did not want to go the LED route because I heard that they come with fans and some additional "device" attached so my concern was what happens if that "device" or the fans go bad.

But I think I might be changing my mind, can you please share which ones you got? Thank you!
Old 03-22-17 | 11:20 PM
biglexfan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rb2010
can you please share which ones you got?
I have only changed my fog lights. They are low power consumption bulbs hence the replacement bulbs did not require any special cooling fins or fans.

I did not have any particular brand in mind so I just did a search on ebay for one that is not too expensive and would not exceed the 19W power rating of the factory fitted bulb.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIGHTEYE-H16...BYGroy&vxp=mtr

Many vendors selling the same item. I took a "gamble" on that particular make, so far, so good. Alternatively, if that link don't work, you can search for Nighteye H16 LED.

Accessing the fog bulbs can be quite challenging. The operating manual stated remove one bolt below the panel, but that is very misleading. You need to remove a total of four and the panel can only be prized apart at a specific location but the instruction failed to mention all this.
Old 03-23-17 | 07:43 AM
rb2010
Rookie

I found these with fans:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/391647146259

And these without:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/391647152225

I'm just wondering what happens if the bulbs overheats. Does it just turn off? Or does it catch on fire and set your car on fire too?
Old 03-23-17 | 08:29 PM
biglexfan
Driver School Candidate

I believe the cooling requirement is directly dependent on the LED bulb rating (I would use Lumens as a proxy for approximate bulb wattage if not given). I rationalised that brighter bulb would require a more aggressive cooling device. Since I drive almost exclusively on well lighted city roads, I will probably just get a bulb that does not require any active cooling. Your requirements may be different.

My experience with automotive LED bulbs is only for the low wattage wedge type bulbs. I am unable to comment if a headlight bulb failure can lead to something more catastrophic other than temporary darkness. I suppose one way to mitigate this concern is to buy only from an established manufacturer ($$$) or get the same model that has already been used by others without incident.

By the way, I believe our ES does not use a CAN bus circuitry. You can save on the bulb cost by omitting that option. Can someone more familiar with the ES circuitry please verify this point?
Old 03-23-17 | 09:23 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

I cannot answer the Canbus question, but I did install LED lights using the stock retrofit kit and at the one week point I can say they are terrific. I'm very glad I decided to do the upgrade. I was also apprehensive about the fan and the additional module that had to be tied down. It was no big deal, and the fans just have a light hum that you can only hear if standing in front of the car and if the engine isn't running. The temperature is managed very well as I have been monitoring closely. These lights have a five year warranty. The sales rep at Car-ID told me they would shut down if the fans failed, as I too was worried about them overheating if the fans went out. There is no flicker or dash warning lights after installing these lights, but I don't know if the attached module has any Canbus circuitry in it or not. These are the 6000 lumen lights so they draw more power than many of the LED kits - hence the cooling fans.

Here is the thread on this upgrade. I am completely satisfied by these and think they are very comparable to the HIDs on my previous RX, maybe a little better. They may be whiter too. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...d-upgrade.html. These lights are not as impressive as the triple beam factory LEDs in our NX though.

Before I went to the LEDs I did try the Sylvinia Silverstars and they were only slightly better than factory halogens and nearly as yellow. Worse, they only lasted a little over a year, and they both literally failed within hours of one-another. For the price, they just didn't impress me enough to buy again.
Old 03-23-17 | 09:44 PM
rb2010
Rookie

Thanks guys! I am starting to lean towards the LEDs. Thanks for sharing your logic as well, that helps make a decision!
Old 03-24-17 | 05:04 AM
Brent1944
Lead Lap

Im not sure about this car, but I had a 2016 Honda Pilot and like a lot of ars it had H11 Low Beams.. On their forum, they bought an H9 bulb and either used a dremel tool to modify the plastic tab or bought a pigtail connector with a H11 on one end and h( on the other.. While not as bright as an HID, it was about 50% brighter than the standard H11...At the end of the dy I got LEDs for the fogs and HIDs for LB..My 2016 ES has Bi LEDs ..
Old 03-26-17 | 05:57 PM
biglexfan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Brent1944
My 2016 ES has Bi LEDs ..
Do you mean to say your ES has factory fitted low and high beam LED headlights?

If the above is yes, I wonder if you could share with us what is the order parts number, or perhaps tell us what is the brand or other information written on the LED bulb itself? This info would benefit those who would like to replace their halogen bulbs with LED bulbs chosen by Lexus, assuming the reflector housing for our Halogen light is compatible with it.

Last edited by biglexfan; 03-26-17 at 06:01 PM.
Old 03-26-17 | 06:01 PM
Brent1944
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by biglexfan
Do you mean to say your ES has factory fitted low and high beam LED headlights?

If the above is yes, I wonder if you could share with us what is the order parts number, or perhaps tell us what is the brand or other information written on the LED bulb itself? This info would benefit those who would like to replace their halogen bulbs to the LED bulbs chosen by Lexus, assuming the reflector housing for our Halogen light is compatible with it.
it is listed as part of a $1015.00 lexus safety pkg on the sticker..Auto dims as well..i never have to use a dimmer switch. It "sees" oncoming cars and dims itself.. Id expect once would have to buy the whole housing, and even on the Pilot was very expensive,,

Last edited by Brent1944; 03-27-17 at 04:22 AM. Reason: adding
Old 03-26-17 | 08:52 PM
rb2010
Rookie

Just got these ones and installed them. Liked pretty muh everything besides the pigtails that hang neither here nor there. The light output is MUCH better, Ira fuller, brother, wider coverage. Also, I couldn't take a picture of it but I got something like a shadow of a small hair on one headlight, is it possible that I have scratched the lens somehow?

Old 03-26-17 | 10:58 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Crazy idea, is it possible to change the halogen high beam bulbs to LEDs? That would match the color temperature of either stock HIDs or aftermarket LEDs on the low beams.

Quick Reply: Changing OEM to Whiter Halogen Bulbs