ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

genesis vs es

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-15, 02:51 PM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by zes
Canesguy, can you please give us your impressions between the 300h and the Accord hybrid touring. Since you own both I figure you will have no biases. I am particularly interested in the drivability comparison of the HSD and the Accord hybrid systems. I can feel the engine kick in every now and then in the 300h. Not all the time but some of the time, and that kind of bugs me. I wish Lexus had put in a slightly larger traction motor and then made ine ICE kick in only after the car reached 15 or 20 mph. I feel the ICE only if it kicks in immediately when one move from rest. Also in the 300h the engine sound mostly correlates with the car acceleration which makes the package sound normal like other cars. I have heard that the Honda is louder and because there is no correlation between car acceleration/speed and the engineer rpm the car feels a bit strange. Also reports of the Honda ICE being a bit noisy when pushed. Will appreciate your experience in this.
Thanks
Sure, be happy to comment if you start another (ES vs. Accord, or apples to peanuts?) thread. My disagreement with the lack of Accord legroom opinion seemed to strike a nerve on this thread.

Last edited by Canesguy; 04-04-15 at 03:22 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-04-15, 07:33 PM
BrazLex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CSTONE3636 - based on your extensive comparison please comment on a simple matter: size of Genesis Vs ES.
I am particularly concerned with the back seat. (2 vs 2.5 vs 3)
Old 04-05-15, 05:56 AM
cstone3636
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BrazLex
CSTONE3636 - based on your extensive comparison please comment on a simple matter: size of Genesis Vs ES.
I am particularly concerned with the back seat. (2 vs 2.5 vs 3)

A couple things I noticed while test driving the Genesis size wise was it had a nice amount of room for both the front and rear seat occupants. The seats are made a little differently in both vehicles however in the Genesis my impression was you were sitting lower in the seats as the console was raised in the center. Not a big deal but when you open the center console it opens with 2 doors opening from the center and both opening out making it harder to look into the center storage compartment. I didn't quite understand the thinking on that and didn't like it myself. The rear seats are very comfortable in the Genesis and I asked my 15 YOA son what he thought of them to answer your question. He felt there was more leg room in the Lexus however the Genesis is a little wider so there was more room width wise which matches up since its 3 inches wider than the ES. I specifically sat in the rear of both of these cars and I'm not a small guy and I had plenty of room. You won't be disappointed in either back seat it just depends if you want more leg room or more room width wise. Comfort wise the Genesis seats were more comfortable without a doubt. If you could take those seats and put them in the ES it would make it an even better car in my opinion. Good Luck
Old 04-05-15, 12:43 PM
BrazLex
Driver School Candidate

Thanks a lot for your points.
This narrows down my alternatives to replace my 2012 Genesis when the lease ends by December.
Mine is fully loaded and 2012 has the improved suspension. Great car. Not a Lexus though.

Currently, after excluding the GS just because of rear space, I consider:

- 2015 Genesis
- RX-350
- ES-350

This thread has been VERY helpful!
Old 04-05-15, 01:41 PM
cstone3636
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

This narrows down my alternatives to replace my 2012 Genesis when the lease ends by December.
Mine is fully loaded and 2012 has the improved suspension. Great car. Not a Lexus though.

- 2015 Genesis
- RX-350
- ES-350

Those are 3 great vehicles to choose from. Good luck, let us know what you decide on.
Old 04-05-15, 04:51 PM
PirelliRC
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

- 2015 Genesis
- RX-350
- ES-350

the RX is virtually bullet proof, very dependable and predictable vehicle, the big downfall for me is the suspension on the RX. Its is too floaty (for lack of a better term), and unbalanced for me. I would narrow it down to the ES and Genesis, 2 awesome cars. Hard to say, i really like the Genesis and obviously i really like the ES because i bought one. MPG was the biggest factor for me as that is the application that the vehicle is used for, commutes, trips etc.. But seeing that MPG is not a huge issue for you, i would look at the Genesis very closely. The re design is very nice.
Old 04-05-15, 05:58 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 714 Likes on 522 Posts

PirelliES, you mentioned the RX is "floaty." I disagree completely. The second gen was a bit soft, but this third generation has been criticized by many as "too firm". The RX board has had a debate over the 19" wheels causing a harsh ride compared to the 18" rims (sound familiar - as a similar debate has occurred here comparing 17 and 18" rims). Of course, the f-Sport causes even more debate, even though it is supposed to be a bit firmer.

Frankly, even with the 19" rims, I don't see the RX as either "harsh" or "floaty". I think the RX has a firm ride but to me it is just right. Frankly, our perception of the ride quality probably depends more on our basis of comparison than anything else. If you feel the RX is floaty, what are you comparing it to?

The RX is definitely not a sports car, but it is a terrific car. The other choices are all good options too, but two are sedans and one is an SUV. Do you need to narrow down the "type" vehicle before selecting the model?

Compared to the RX, the ES has much better rear seat room and the rear seat ingress/egress is much easier. The RX has more room if you need to haul anything. The ES is quieter as well. We get about 19 MPG with the RX in mostly city driving. The third generation RX is a bit taller and somewhat of a stretch for my 5'4" wife so be careful to evaluate that during any test drives.

Last edited by TechNut; 04-05-15 at 09:16 PM.
Old 04-05-15, 07:33 PM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

- 2015 Genesis
- RX-350
- ES-350

If you decide on the RX, I'd wait for the 2016 which is scheduled for a change.
Old 04-05-15, 07:40 PM
BrazLex
Driver School Candidate

Thank you all for the guidance.
As for the 2016 it is a perfect point. They may not to be so flexible with prices as they are in the 2015.
Their leases are unbeatable. (of course because of the coming 2016)
Old 04-05-15, 10:53 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Like the 2013 ES, the 2016 RX is even more aggressive looking and probably more firmer targeted to a younger audience. When the 2016 hits the showroom, you should test drive and confirm. If you like the softer ride, you'll get a good price on the out going MY and existing inventory they need to clear.
Old 04-06-15, 10:19 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

In the RX release they specifically stated that the new RX had improved ride comfort, so i wouldn't automatically assume its going to ride harder. The RX is also available with AVS which I have on the GS and isn't available on the ES which helps it handle flatter without riding harder.

If you haven't driven an NX, they ride very well, I would expect the 2016 RX to ride well.
Old 04-07-15, 10:42 AM
PirelliRC
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

The new RX simply looks like a stretched out NX, i personally think they are both very unattractive vehicles. And i do not think this new RX will be a big success like the previous models, because they are targeting a younger demographic with the sharp, aggressive lines, and i dont think the RX clientele is necessarily looking for that.
Old 04-07-15, 01:01 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 642 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by PirelliES
The new RX simply looks like a stretched out NX, i personally think they are both very unattractive vehicles. And i do not think this new RX will be a big success like the previous models, because they are targeting a younger demographic with the sharp, aggressive lines, and i dont think the RX clientele is necessarily looking for that.
IDK, I kind of like it and I'm not too young.
Old 04-07-15, 01:07 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Neither the NX or new RX are my cup of tea, but I do see how both will probably appeal to a younger/new demographic for the Lexus brand and should do well.
Old 04-07-15, 02:07 PM
gemigniani
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Yep, it's wierd how Toyota's marketing department computer programs keep telling the designers and engineers their cars need to appeal to a younger crowd that desires aggressive styling and doesn't mind harsh, noisy rides, hard seats and hard plastic interiors. Then the company later learns the hard way those changes can hurt sales (e.g. Scion sales have crashed, Avalon sales are lackluster, 2012-14 Camry sales have been below expectations). Sales of the 2015 Camry have been better no doubt because the non-sporty versions of the car offer improved ride comfort and quietness and richer looking and feeling surfaces in the interior.

Quick Reply: genesis vs es