ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Es 350 front side window- double pane?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-15, 12:45 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,014 Likes on 693 Posts

Originally Posted by Arty101
Seems like there's no rhyme or reason which car gets double pane windows from what I've read here.
I think it is likely just a matter of Lexus using glass from multiple suppliers, and which glass is in a particular vehicle is likely determined by which supplier's glass was being used during the production run when a vehicle is built.

I also suspect that we, on this board, may well be making a bigger deal than is warranted of whether vehicles have the single-paned glass or double-paned glass. I've read on other threads here that the single-paned glass is also noticeably thicker than the double-paned glass, and it could well be the case that the thicker single-paned glass provides sound insulation at the same level (or higher level) than the thinner double-paned glass. I suspect that Lexus bids out specifications with regard to things like sound insulation and that the suppliers, regardless of whether they are providing single-paned or double-paned glass, are meeting the same specifications with regard to things like sound insulation.
The following users liked this post:
Rafadog (03-11-19)
Old 10-04-15, 12:28 PM
kellens
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

A thicker single pane of glass wouldn't ever be nearly as sound attenuating as the to layers with the acoustic laminate middle at these thicknesses. The results are in certain higher frequencies, around 1000-6000Hz, but it's significant around the sound of wind or tire noise of cars/trucks passing by.

Has anyone swapped the single pain out for the acoustic pane? For what it's worth, they use the same window run, so total thickness must be similar.

They were doing the swap out of single panes on the RX for a while about 5 years ago when customers requested it and then it became a TSB, and now they're all acoustic.

Last edited by kellens; 10-04-15 at 12:36 PM.
Old 07-09-19, 04:06 PM
ES300H854
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old string, I know, but for late comers like myself....

2013 ES 300H Premium and Navigation packages - front windows are definitely double-pane including a very tiny divot separating two panes. Rear windows appear thick but not double-pane. Signature on the front windows is temperlight UVS, back windows say Nippon safety as denoted by someone above.

I did not realize the windows were double paned when I bought the car, until reading this post, but it definitely does account for the pretty quiet ride.

One thing I've noted though is that the moon roof (non-pano) lets in a significant amount of wind noise. There have been no leaks during periods of extreme rain, but there is a very noticable difference when I pull the visor-like device over the moon roof (much quieter). I've tried to find something on this, but the only moon roof related topic I've found seems to deal with a rattle - which has not been my experience. Has anyone else noticed a signifcant amount from the moon roof when it is closed?
Old 07-09-19, 08:57 PM
L3XUSFAN
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ES300H854

2013 ES 300H Premium and Navigation packages - front windows are definitely double-pane including a very tiny divot separating two panes. Rear windows appear thick but not double-pane. Signature on the front windows is temperlight UVS, back windows say Nippon safety as denoted by someone above.

I did not realize the windows were double paned when I bought the car, until reading this post, but it definitely does account for the pretty quiet ride.

One thing I've noted though is that the moon roof (non-pano) lets in a significant amount of wind noise. There have been no leaks during periods of extreme rain, but there is a very noticable difference when I pull the visor-like device over the moon roof (much quieter). I've tried to find something on this, but the only moon roof related topic I've found seems to deal with a rattle - which has not been my experience. Has anyone else noticed a signifcant amount from the moon roof when it is closed?
My '13 ES350 does this as well. I'm not sure why. As soon as I pull the sunroof shade open a lot of noise comes in the cabin. The noise goes away when I close the shade. I did some research and found other brands reporting the same thing, its a toss up. Half the posters say they have no noise or don't notice a difference and the other half say its the sunroof seal. There is a thread on the GS forum with the same issue which was fixed by the seal replacement. I believe there is an existing ES thread in this forum.
Old 07-09-19, 11:08 PM
Tootsall
Instructor

Received 202 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by ES300H854

“Temperlite” means it is tempered glass; “Lamisafe” is the laminated. There are different grades of laminated in which the plastic middle layer is thicker for “Accoustic glass”.
Old 07-11-19, 10:16 AM
lawonga
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just checked my front and side windows, turns out they're all laminate/double pane including the windshield. 2016 ES350 Touring (Canada). Middle tier, one step before ultra luxury (base, touring, UL).

Old 07-11-19, 10:46 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 658 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by lawonga
Just checked my front and side windows, turns out they're all laminate/double pane including the windshield. 2016 ES350 Touring (Canada). Middle tier, one step before ultra luxury (base, touring, UL).
They say Lamisafe and look like this?

I can't tell from your pic's.
Old 07-11-19, 02:09 PM
lawonga
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Mike728
They say Lamisafe and look like this?

I can't tell from your pic's.

Yeah if you zoom in here:

I'll double check later

Edit: took more

I did double check the sunroof and rear passenger windows and rear windows and turns out those are temperlite and single paned.

So turns out only the windshield and the drivers/passenger are dual paned.

Last edited by lawonga; 07-11-19 at 02:17 PM.
Mike728 (07-11-19)
Old 10-17-23, 03:12 PM
matelot
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

WTF they're all different, inconsistent all over the goddamn places - seems like a very un-Japanese/Lexus frigging mess.....
lawonga (10-17-23)
Old 10-17-23, 04:36 PM
lawonga
10th Gear

Originally Posted by matelot
WTF they're all different, inconsistent all over the goddamn places - seems like a very un-Japanese/Lexus frigging mess.....
I think the latter part of this gen might be American made so could blame them for that lol
Old 10-17-23, 05:37 PM
Tootsall
Instructor

Received 202 Likes on 172 Posts

Windshields in all North American market (regardless of place of manufacture), must be laminated by law. Other glass and/or other markets, not so much. Front side glass in different models and different "packages" may be laminated and designated for sound deadening (turbulence off the windshield, A pillars, and door mirrors). Just like "auto-fold mirrors", rear seat heaters, front seat extenders, & etc., entirely a marketing decision. Be aware that the middle, bonding lamination in windshields may be thinner or thicker (thicker usually designated as "accoustic" glass). Lots and lots of tricks and options when it comes to automotive glass.
Old 06-11-24, 05:28 AM
Haniomar
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus Doube pane glass

I'va lexus Es350 2015 and it's coming with sinlge glass in all doors which is giving me huge noise coming from All sided.

Can i replace it with double pane glass and it will fit or no before buying.
Old 06-11-24, 06:19 AM
lawonga
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Haniomar
I'va lexus Es350 2015 and it's coming with sinlge glass in all doors which is giving me huge noise coming from All sided.

Can i replace it with double pane glass and it will fit or no before buying.
You could probably do it but it might cost more or be more work than just finding another lexus with the double pane?
Old 06-12-24, 09:04 AM
dmuff
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I did it, it fits just fine. Cost me $100 per window and it is pretty easy to do if you've ever taken a door panel off before.
Old 06-13-24, 04:01 PM
ptthere
Pit Crew

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

I used to work for a glass manufacturer. Some of the most common glass (above single-pane), are the dual-laminated tempered glass. Basically one sheet of tempered glass with a vinyl laminate molded/pressed to each side of it. There's also the dual pane which is laminate, glass, laminate, glass, laminate fused together. Both of the latter help with noise, shatter/theft resistance, etc.

You'd be surprised how many different Tier I and Tier II glass suppliers that car manufacturers source windows from, sometimes 5 or more.

Quick Reply: Es 350 front side window- double pane?