ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

First 2016 ES Refresh teaser pic released!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-15, 05:09 PM
LarES30014
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 5thaccord
I have to admit that I agree with you, and all these posts have pretty much talked me out of getting the ES. This is exactly why I am getting rid of my Accord, because I can't stand the ride. BUT...I did like everything else about the car, and the harsh ride was somewhat evident during the test drive but didn't really get to be a problem until I had owned the car for a month or so.

I really want to want the ES, but I can't go through this again. I hate getting in my car every day, and I can't afford to make the same mistake twice.
I hope I didn't talk you out of an ES before you drive it. I find the handling and ride fine on a smooth roadway. It's only on poorer roads with cracks and rough conditions that I notice the harsh ride and noise. I just came back from a trip to Ohio and their roads are a lot rougher than our roads here in Florida. I still think the tires are the main culprit, not the car.
Old 08-11-15, 06:03 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 649 Likes on 484 Posts

No it's not that necessarily (although there seems to be resounding complaints about the ride from owners);
Resounding complaints? I've been on here for over two years and haven't heard more than just a handful of owners complaining about anything, let alone ride comfort.

It's your choice, though. Good luck with whatever you decide on.
Old 08-11-15, 10:47 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

KBB, Edmunds, Cars.com, etc. That's in addition to reviews (CR, CNET, etc.).
I thought you said owners, which is what 95% of the people on here are.
Old 08-11-15, 11:03 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

I read the user forums on the sites mentioned because you get a broader spectrum of responses.
Actually, you don't. Those forums are the ones people who only join to complain and troll, flock to. I know from past experience, so take what you read there with a grain of salt.
Old 08-11-15, 02:49 PM
jollick
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 155 Posts

I have a 2013 ES and a 2015 ES, we drive locally and have taken a trip with 4 adults and a trunk full of luggage. I have no complaints of the ride quality. I have had several Lexus models in the past including an LS, all purchased new, and have not had any issues with them.
Old 08-11-15, 04:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Is it the best riding car in the world? No. Is it a very nice riding car? Yes.

I think you're over thinking this. If you've driven the car and you like the ride, I would go for it. If its marginally harder riding than the previous car, that doesn't mean it rides poorly.
Old 08-12-15, 09:27 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 225 Likes on 179 Posts

I wouldn't say the ES ride is bad...just not as cushy as in the past. People complained how previous gen ES drove like a boat, so Lexus probably tuned the suspension to handle better. Then poeple complain now that it doesn't ride as well. People can't make up their minds and Lexus can't please everyone. Do an extended test drive of the ES to see if you like it.
Old 08-12-15, 11:05 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Perhaps the new ES may not the car for you based on your requirements and knowledge that it is too firm for your liking. Then, that's no buyers remorse and you can decide to move on in your search.

Shall we just call you 6thaccord since you seem to like the 2016 Accord .
Old 08-12-15, 11:40 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Thats just the thing, I don't think theres anything else out there at that price point if he's looking used that is going to ride better than the ES. Perhaps the Chrysler 300, but he's said that he won't consider that.
Old 08-12-15, 05:37 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 716 Likes on 524 Posts

Most of the people on this board own ES vehicles and are enthusiastic about them or they probably wouldn't come here to compare notes. I am not sure you will find the negative endorsement you seem to be searching for.

Speaking only for myself, I like the ride very much and it is certainly better than my previous car and my SUV. The bottom line for me is very simple, if I disliked the ride to the extent you appear to dislike your Accord, I wouldn't still own it. My advice is just this, test drive carefully and frequently to make sure YOU are comfortable with the ride (or not) and don't get too caught up in the comments of a vocal few that may or may not even own the car. If you aren't personally satisfied with the ride, you are going to have to move on to some other model.

I really think you are going to find that manufacturers these days are striving for better handling and perhaps greater stability, both of which may contradict the softer riding suspensions. I find the ES suspension to be firm but compliant. It isn't what I would consider harsh or stiff at all, but at the same time, I am sure there are softer riding cars out there.
Old 08-13-15, 09:36 AM
lamikela1
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Better yet find one that you can rent for a week and drive it around. You will get a good feel for the ride as well as the feel of the car.
Old 08-13-15, 10:05 AM
chrisexv6
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our Lexus dealer was great in regards to letting us have a loaner. We test drove a car that would be what we would buy (18" wheels, Ultra Lux, etc). The loaner had 17" wheels but allowed us to get the bulk of the feel of the car.

Comparing it to an Acura TLX where we did the same thing....had it for 3 days and drove in our normal routine.

If you are worried the ES is too harsh of a ride, good luck with the TLX....way too sporty for what we wanted. And since it seems like the Accord is very close to (if not the exact basis for) the TLX, I would imagine the ride quality between the to wouldnt be too different.

I too would recommend getting each of them for a day or two. If the dealer balks at lending you a car just walk. You arent buying a $10K Hyundai........there should be no problem allowing you to be sure about your decision beforehand.

Quick Reply: First 2016 ES Refresh teaser pic released!