ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Carista App for Android!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-15, 04:46 AM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Customizations and manufacturer-specific diagnostics require the Pro Package, which costs $19.99 as an in-app purchase. Back when we launched that functionality (about a year and a half ago), it was available at an introductory price of $9.99 for a short period of time... so maybe you got that? Or maybe you were one of the beta-testers who got it for free during testing?

Also, the Carista app can be used with any ELM327-compliant OBD adapter (Bluetooth for Android, WiFi for iOS). However, the problem is that most of the "ELM327" adapters that are available nowadays are not actually ELM327-compliant and just plain don't work. They may be ok for basic OBD2 diagnostics and real-time engine data (with Torque and other such apps), but Carista is the only app that doesn't use regular OBD2. Instead, we use manufacturer-specific protocols for the brands that we support. That's doable with the ELM327 standard, but it requires more ELM327 commands than what other apps use. Since those generic Chinese adapters that are available everywhere don't fully support the ELM327 standard, a lot of them don't work with Carista.

That's why we made our own adapter that's guaranteed to work with Carista, and is also compatible with both Android and iOS. The choice is yours - feel free to try one of the cheap $10 adapters on ebay or Amazon. It may work.

In terms of offering a hardware + software bundle: we're considering that, but as of now it is not possible at a technical level. Also keep in mind that we're not making much of a profit on the hardware: it's actually expensive to manufacture because it uses Bluetooth LE 4.0 and in general higher-quality electronics than the generic (fake) "ELM327" devices.

P.S. The adapter is available in Europe now, too
Old 09-01-15, 04:04 AM
alfaromeo3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

at least give a discount for CL members. usually vendors here has discounted price compared to their website!
Old 09-01-15, 04:16 AM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by alfaromeo3
at least give a discount for CL members. usually vendors here has discounted price compared to their website!
Yes, we're considering that! We may do a "group buy" at a discounted price in the near future, but it will be contingent upon getting a certain number of people to sign up for it. Details to follow when we decide to do it.
Old 09-01-15, 08:15 AM
jda2000
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by alfaromeo3
Exactly. That's what I am saying!
Old 09-01-15, 08:35 AM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Ok, let's do this. We can offer you guys a "group buy" with a 15% discount on the hardware adapter. This means $34 USD shipped to the US (or equivalent discount in Canada). We need at least 20 people to participate in order to do this group buy. Who's in?

Note that we cannot give discounts on the software in-app purchase for technical reasons with Apple and Google Play.
Old 09-01-15, 09:01 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Carista
Ok, let's do this. We can offer you guys a "group buy" with a 15% discount on the hardware adapter. This means $34 USD shipped to the US (or equivalent discount in Canada). We need at least 20 people to participate in order to do this group buy. Who's in?

Note that we cannot give discounts on the software in-app purchase for technical reasons with Apple and Google Play.
I am in, put me down for 1.
Old 09-03-15, 10:31 AM
autotech13
Advanced

Received 197 Likes on 149 Posts

I'm in too for one!

Old 09-04-15, 06:16 AM
bolepa
Driver School Candidate

Carista, I am confused: you said that Carista Pro Package for iOS (iPhone) is available from iTunes store for $19 but in fact there is only Carista OBD2 available. Am I missing something here? Thank you.
Old 09-04-15, 06:40 AM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jollick
Originally Posted by autotech13
I'm in too for one!
Ok, I'll keep you guys in mind, we'll launch the group buy officially next week and I'll post back here.

Originally Posted by bolepa
Carista, I am confused: you said that Carista Pro Package for iOS (iPhone) is available from iTunes store for $19 but in fact there is only Carista OBD2 available. Am I missing something here? Thank you.
It's not a separate app; it's an in-app purchase inside the free app. So you just need to get Carista OBD2 and connect it to your car. The first time you try to change a customization setting, it'll ask you to purchase the Pro Package. Let me know if you have any questions or run into issues. Thanks.
Old 09-11-15, 08:36 AM
Jets
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Carista, great product!
Is there a way to add the ability to add Smart Keys to the system?
Old 09-11-15, 02:01 PM
jda2000
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jets
Carista, great product!
That would be nice, but I'm sure they would jack up the price of the app another $10
Old 09-12-15, 09:57 AM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jets
Carista, great product!
We don't have that option yet, but we will look into it and if it is possible we will work on adding it.
Old 09-12-15, 01:26 PM
Jets
Rookie

Thanks! There are a couple of them on Amazon and ebay, i assume they are just software but they are selling them bundled with the obd dongle.
Old 09-13-15, 01:56 PM
jollick
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 155 Posts

Any update on this?
Old 09-13-15, 02:55 PM
Jets
Rookie

Any update on this?
Sorry , I would of done this but I already purchased it.

Quick Reply: Carista App for Android!