ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

10,000 Mile Service - Suggestions for Dealer Progammed Personalized Settings?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-15, 07:33 PM
sderman
Advanced

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
Default 10,000 Mile Service - Suggestions for Dealer Progammed Personalized Settings?

I'm due to bring in our '14 ES350 for it's complimentary 10,000 mile service. I (think I) am quite happy with the present settings but was wondering if any of you have suggestions for any setting changes?
Old 05-30-15, 07:54 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,286 Likes on 896 Posts

I have a flash for you. The free setting changes must be made at 5k - not 10k... After 5k they charge you to make the changes.
Old 05-30-15, 08:18 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

I think most dealers would do the settings for you at 10K rather than 5K - I usually have mine done at about 500 miles. Factory defaults are pretty good - I think all I did was change the number of flashes on lane change to 5, maybe added some sound to the turn signals and turned off the beep when locking and unlocking.

Dave Mac
Old 05-30-15, 11:15 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree. I think the dealer will do the customized setting even at the 10K service if you haven't had it done before.

I only changed the lane change blinkers from 3 to 5. I like the rest of the settings.
Old 05-31-15, 05:32 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

I also had a couple of the settings changed by my dealer at the same time when I had the 10,000 mile oil change, and there was no charge.

If I remember correctly, the only changes that I made were related to how long you press the fob button to open the trunk, the setting that controls whether the rear sunshade goes down when the car is put into reverse, and, perhaps, one of the settings related to pressing fob buttons to open the windows.

A suggestion that I would make would be to buy either the Carista smart phone app or, possibly, the Toyota Techstream software. The total cost of either, including necessary hardware, is only in the $20-30 range, and either would allow you to change any of the personalized settings yourself in just a few minutes without taking the time or incurring the expense of having the dealer do it. And the added benefit is that, should you encounter an instance, down the road, with your check engine warning light going on, you could pull the trouble codes from the vehicle computer yourself.
Old 05-31-15, 12:07 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

There's a handful of functions the dealer has to enable through TechStream, but now you have control over most door lock, light and climate settings; MENU > SETUP > VEHICLE > VEHICLE CUSTOMIZATION
Old 06-02-15, 08:18 AM
sderman
Advanced

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
I also had a couple of the settings changed by my dealer at the same time when I had the 10,000 mile oil change, and there was no charge.

If I remember correctly, the only changes that I made were related to how long you press the fob button to open the trunk, the setting that controls whether the rear sunshade goes down when the car is put into reverse, and, perhaps, one of the settings related to pressing fob buttons to open the windows.

A suggestion that I would make would be to buy either the Carista smart phone app or, possibly, the Toyota Techstream software. The total cost of either, including necessary hardware, is only in the $20-30 range, and either would allow you to change any of the personalized settings yourself in just a few minutes without taking the time or incurring the expense of having the dealer do it. And the added benefit is that, should you encounter an instance, down the road, with your check engine warning light going on, you could pull the trouble codes from the vehicle computer yourself.
Thanks lesz, I ordered the Carista adapter from them, but must wait (just a few days according to them) for their ios app to be approved by Apple.
Old 06-02-15, 06:59 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 714 Likes on 522 Posts

Personally, I also plan to have them turn off the seat belt warning buzzer. I normally wear the belt, but sometimes if I am making a short run down the street from the car wash I don't fasten it. I just don't need to listen to the racket because someone at Lexus corporate (likely their legal dept) decided the car shouldn't move without the belts fastened.
Old 06-03-15, 05:27 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ward6096
Personally, I also plan to have them turn off the seat belt warning buzzer. I normally wear the belt, but sometimes if I am making a short run down the street from the car wash I don't fasten it. I just don't need to listen to the racket because someone at Lexus corporate (likely their legal dept) decided the car shouldn't move without the belts fastened.
I don't believe that is an option, and, for liability reasons, I can't imagine that any vehicle manufacturer would make doing so an available option.
Old 06-03-15, 02:58 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

Prior to the 2013 model turning off the seat belt buzzer - not the light - was an option and I always did so. Seat belt availability and usage is required by both the law and common sense but the warning buzzer is not a requirement that I know of. The buzzer or chime can still be turned off as is mine on my 2013 but probably not by your Lexus dealer.

And I'm not at all suggesting that seat belts not be worn, I have been a believer since I think they were first available on a 1956 Ford - I just don't like the warning tone on the drive from my mail box. Actually, I have only the driver's warning turned off so I know right away if my passenger does not have his or her belt buckled and I like it that way.

Dave Mac
Old 06-04-15, 03:07 PM
wowzer
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are the programmable features?
Old 06-05-15, 11:20 AM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz

Am I missing something here? I googled techstream lite to see them selling a package from $500 to $1400?
Old 06-05-15, 11:44 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,286 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by Maikerusan
Am I missing something here? I googled techstream lite to see them selling a package from $500 to $1400?
Get yourself a Carista programmer at Amazon for about $10.00.
Old 06-05-15, 12:18 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Maikerusan
I suspect that what you are finding is packages that include buying a subscription to use the software. If you owned a shop and if you were going to use the software daily, you would need to buy a (very expensive) annual subscription to use it. Many, however, have bought copies of the software on Amazon for about $30 (including the necessary interface hardware), and that software can be legally used up to 30 times before having to buy a subscription. Those 30 uses should be more than a private vehicle owner would likely ever need to use.
Old 06-05-15, 12:24 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Thanks for the advice lesz.

Quick Reply: 10,000 Mile Service - Suggestions for Dealer Progammed Personalized Settings?