ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

my next car

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-15, 08:07 AM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Question my next car

My ES300h happens to be a lease and is up late Fall. I really like the car, but I never buy out my leases, especially on a hybrid, so I've ruled that out. The great gas mileage has spoiled me, especially using regular fuel. I am considering a 2016 but the changes are fairly minimal, and a major change will be forthcoming perhaps with the 2017.

I am considering a wide selection of cars, generally less expensive cars, if I should buy, vs. such cars as a C-class, CTS, and BMW 3 or 4 series. I realize the latter don't give stellar mpg, and require premium.

Any thoughts, suggestions?
Old 06-06-15, 08:47 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Any interest in the new Avalon either gas or hybrid? Different styling etc. to change things up a bit.
Old 06-06-15, 09:01 AM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Any interest in the new Avalon either gas or hybrid? Different styling etc. to change things up a bit.
Yep, it's a consideration, but the same looming near-future expected changes as with the ES, but with poorer deals in comparison, and none of the Lexus premium dealer experience. This makes it low on my list.
Old 06-06-15, 09:30 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

How about diesels? The BMW 3 Series is rated at 32/45/37.

Our BMW (gas) is rated at 23/35/27 but as you indicated, premium is recommended. We were seeing 34-36 on the highway on a recent trip to Nebraska and back.
Old 06-06-15, 09:52 AM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

LB, yeah, in the past I've gotten good fuel mileage with BMW's especially with them being non-hybrid, non-diesels. Considering that the current price for diesel fuel is a significantly higher (at least in my area) than even premium unleaded, the cost of fill-ups has considerably mitigated the improvement in mpg's. This makes BMW a strong contender provided they update their long-standing interiors.

Last edited by Canesguy; 06-06-15 at 09:58 AM.
Old 06-06-15, 10:45 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

My lease too runs out this fall but I believe I will be able to run out another 36 month lease before a new model comes out. Actually I would be happy if a new model came out in just two years so I wouldn't be in a position of having to lese a new car in the early months of it's cycle but I expect the next new ES to be a 2019.

Dave Mac
Old 06-06-15, 11:40 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 230 Likes on 181 Posts

Since you're considering "generally less expensive" cars, then you'll be looking at the turbo 4-cylinder models for each of the alternatives listed since the 6-cylinder option would raise the price way over an ES300h. IMO, a turbo 4-cylinder doesn't belong in a luxury car. I've driven them and they don't feel very refined (no matter what the manufacturer says) especially compared to their 6-cylinder models or hybrid cars. They get worse as they age too. Not to mention, you'll be losing the Lexus dealer experience and reliablity.

The ES is going through a mid-cycle refresh for the 2016 model, so a complete redesign wouldn't be until 2019 or 2020. You could definitely could lease another one (or two) before a complete redesign.
Old 06-06-15, 12:22 PM
PirelliRC
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

th 2015 Mercedez C Class is really starting to grow on me, the ride is really smooth and the handling has been improved, it is a stellar vehicle. The inline 4 is great on gas as well, not like our hybrids but relatively good. Here are a few other suggestions that are fairly inexpensive and offer good MPG as well as comfort and luxury.

2015 C 300 - 25 city / 36 hwy - Starting at $38,000

2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.6L - 18 city / 29 hwy - Starting at $38,000

2015 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid - 41 city / 39 hwy - Starting at $35,000

2015 Cadillac ATS - 20 city / 30 hwy - Starting at $37,500

2015 Audi A4 - 24 city / 32 hwy - Starting at $35,500
Old 06-06-15, 01:06 PM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PirelliES
th 2015 Mercedez C Class is really starting to grow on me, the ride is really smooth and the handling has been improved, it is a stellar vehicle. The inline 4 is great on gas as well, not like our hybrids but relatively good. Here are a few other suggestions that are fairly inexpensive and offer good MPG as well as comfort and luxury.

2015 C 300 - 25 city / 36 hwy - Starting at $38,000

2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.6L - 18 city / 29 hwy - Starting at $38,000

2015 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid - 41 city / 39 hwy - Starting at $35,000

2015 Cadillac ATS - 20 city / 30 hwy - Starting at $37,500

2015 Audi A4 - 24 city / 32 hwy - Starting at $35,500
The C, ATS, and MKZ are also on my list. Already have an A4 (son's) in the family. The '16 MKZ's are arriving at the dealers, so being that they're out this early usually means the next model year will be fairly changed and out in early '16 as a '17 model. Like the Genesis, but for me is too big, and has relatively poor gas mileage.

As for the turbo 4's finding their way into entry luxury cars, I no longer have a problem with them. Horsepower and performance are up at the same time mileage is up. There is a mild hit in refinement but they're getting better. Reminds me of when 6's started to take over spots traditionally held by 8's.

Last edited by Canesguy; 06-06-15 at 01:16 PM.
Old 06-06-15, 04:01 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 230 Likes on 181 Posts

If you're planning on buying rather than leasing, then I would suggest staying away from Audi. We have a 2012 A4 2.0t (got it new) in our garage, and it's been nothing but trouble after the warranty ran out. Besides trim and interior pieces breaking (not from rough use) and iPod connection failing, the car is having major engine problems. Took it to dealer and shops to diagnose the extreme oil consumption, and the repair quotes ranged from $1200-8000. There is a lawsuit going on, but the fix for it doesn't fix anything. Audi corporate has been no help since the car is out of warranty. There are tons of complaints about this problem online. Cousin also has tons of engine problems on his new BMWs that has required them to be towed in multiple times. What I've learned from these experiences is never own a German car out of warranty; good to lease if the price is right (lease rates are horrible on Audi).
Old 06-06-15, 04:17 PM
2merc3lex
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have noticed the 2016 Maxima, to me anyway, is quite a looker. Realize it is not luxury class, but it has everything the ES has and more. You will pay 41K MSRP for all the goodies, and although I have not driven it yet, all the reviews indicate that the road manners are pretty good. I also realize that it has a CVT but all indications are that it is a greatly improved version. Also the 0-60 MPH is under 6 seconds which is quite fast for this class. I plan to test drive one in the near future.
Old 06-06-15, 07:21 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 721 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar
If you're planning on buying rather than leasing, then I would suggest staying away from Audi. We have a 2012 A4 2.0t (got it new) in our garage, and it's been nothing but trouble after the warranty ran out. Besides trim and interior pieces breaking (not from rough use) and iPod connection failing, the car is having major engine problems. Took it to dealer and shops to diagnose the extreme oil consumption, and the repair quotes ranged from $1200-8000. There is a lawsuit going on, but the fix for it doesn't fix anything. Audi corporate has been no help since the car is out of warranty. There are tons of complaints about this problem online. Cousin also has tons of engine problems on his new BMWs that has required them to be towed in multiple times. What I've learned from these experiences is never own a German car out of warranty; good to lease if the price is right (lease rates are horrible on Audi).
I agree completely. While I like many German models, I wouldn't personally own one again after warranty, unless repair costs were no particular concern to me. My last Audi (I must be a slow learner as I have owned two) cost me dearly in repairs. If reliability and repair costs are a concern I would stick with Asian manufacturers. I would be careful with some of the US models but I wouldn't be as wary of them as I would any of the German manufacturers. Just my .02 cents worth based on my experience.
Old 06-06-15, 07:54 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Canesguy
Yep, it's a consideration, but the same looming near-future expected changes as with the ES, but with poorer deals in comparison, and none of the Lexus premium dealer experience. This makes it low on my list.
Have you considered the Acura TLX? Asian brand, choice of I4 or V6, choice of FWD or AWD, pretty good driving dynamics, good reliability and probably a better dealership experience vs. Honda. I think premium is recommended with both engines, so that might be a negative.
Old 06-06-15, 08:44 PM
Vihzel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd be very weary on the 2015 MY for the C-Class because there have been MANY problems that have plagued the first production year of the new generation. The biggest and most frequent problem that people have been reporting is excessive wind noise at higher speeds and especially in cross wind. While some people have been able to fix the problem with cooperative dealers, MBUSA's official stance is that there is no problem and that it's a result of the design. If you end up with a 2015 C-Class that has the wind noise problem, you're at the mercy of the dealer who does not have to help you at all because MBUSA says there is no problem.

Hopefully the 2016 MY will have needed fixes that have been prevalent in the 2015 MY.
Old 06-08-15, 08:32 PM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

A couple of points to the previous posts...thank you all for them. We've had 5 Audis, all gotten brand new, and have had near stellar luck with all of them mechanically as we have with our BMW's and Lexus'. Next, the Acura TLX I still recognize as a good, maybe even a great car mechanically. I find them to be, well, somewhat homely, although improved over the last few years. It IS, however, on my list. The new 2016 Maxima has polarizing looks, although my final judgement remains subject to my seeing it in person. The performance is good; the anticipated gas mileage, not so much. Finally, if I do get the new genre C Class Mercdes, it will be a 2016, and hopefully improved over it's 2015 issues.

Last edited by Canesguy; 06-08-15 at 08:36 PM.

Quick Reply: my next car