ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Lowering springs vs Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-15, 12:14 PM
RAMON702
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post Lowering springs vs Coilovers

Has anyone switched from lowering springs to coilovers ? If so, what are the advantages and disadvantages in your opinion? Also what brands did you use...trying to see if its worth it, Thanks.
Old 06-23-15, 07:22 PM
KennyLexus
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RAMON702
Has anyone switched from lowering springs to coilovers ? If so, what are the advantages and disadvantages in your opinion? Also what brands did you use...trying to see if its worth it, Thanks.
Funny you should ask. I recently attempted the springs but goofed by not doing my homework....a $650 mistake; wrong springs. The rear springs were installed. But the ride was somewhat stiff plus I heard my tires rub. Anyway, they were only on for a few miles before I put the OEM springs back on.

Fast forward. I ordered a set of BC Racing coilovers. Took a while for me to get them but well worth it. The advantages of these coilovers are that you can adjust the height and dampening to your liking. You can set them to rock hard stiff or float like a boat or anywhere in between.

Here's a tip, if you decide to get these coilovers (my choices were limited because I have a hybrid), you do not have to cut your boot on the rear top plate. The OEM boot will easily fit over the BC Racing boot for the rears.

Also, there's a picture of my car below in the Official wheels thread if you want to see how this set up looks like.
Old 06-23-15, 08:15 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

What are your spring rates on the coilovers vs the stock springs?
Old 06-24-15, 04:53 PM
KennyLexus
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chromedome
What are your spring rates on the coilovers vs the stock springs?
I have no clue what my spring rates are. I told the vendor that I wanted the most comfortable spring rates possible. So far, they seem fine; I'm at 21 clicks on my dampeners.
Old 06-24-15, 11:04 PM
RAMON702
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lowering springs vs Coilovers

Originally Posted by KennyLexus
Funny you should ask. I recently attempted the springs but goofed by not doing my homework....a $650 mistake; wrong springs. The rear springs were installed. But the ride was somewhat stiff plus I heard my tires rub. Anyway, they were only on for a few miles before I put the OEM springs back on.

Fast forward. I ordered a set of BC Racing coilovers. Took a while for me to get them but well worth it. The advantages of these coilovers are that you can adjust the height and dampening to your liking. You can set them to rock hard stiff or float like a boat or anywhere in between.

Here's a tip, if you decide to get these coilovers (my choices were limited because I have a hybrid), you do not have to cut your boot on the rear top plate. The OEM boot will easily fit over the BC Racing boot for the rears.

Also, there's a picture of my car below in the Official wheels thread if you want to see how this set up looks like.
Thanks for the info. I currently have Tein lowering springs and i love the look with the drop and have no rubbing whatsoever. The ride isnt bad only when i go over speed bumps the back feels like it bottoms out so i have to take it slow. Also the bumpy ride with any imperfections in the road isnt fun either.
Old 06-24-15, 11:42 PM
Tony1ES350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just finished installing Ksport coilovers. Love it
Old 06-25-15, 10:43 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts

From what I've seen and read on different forums, lowering springs are just cosmetic. Coilovers are for improved handling, adjustability, and great for track days because you can have one set-up for street and one set-up for racing.

Although lowering springs can improve handling because the car has a lower center of gravity, but coilovers will make it even better.