ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

16 ES350 UL (delivery Sat)

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-15, 11:37 AM
user420
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chrisexv6
Agreed, I like the new tips as well. I see a lot of GS influence in the '16 ES, the tips are part of that.

I just wish they finished off the diffuser....still doesnt look right to me to have the lower half of the exhaust tip not surrounded. Luckily this is something the aftermarket could fix, if there is enough demand for it.
I tend to agree with you guys. Similarly, I don't particularly care for the black plastic piece attached at the end of the rear bumper. I think that portion should have been one continuos portion of the bumper. A lot of vehicles seem to be manufactured that way these days. Can someone explain exactly what that piece is for on the ES 350?
Old 08-30-15, 11:59 AM
chrisexv6
Driver

Originally Posted by user420
I tend to agree with you guys. Similarly, I don't particularly care for the black plastic piece attached at the end of the rear bumper. I think that portion should have been one continuos portion of the bumper. A lot of vehicles seem to be manufactured that way these days. Can someone explain exactly what that piece is for on the ES 350?
decoration?

I dont mind its there, I do mind that its not body colored. Black plastic trim has always felt "cheap" to me, to the point that I would always opt for any package that turned it body colored. Unfortunately its not an option on the ES.

For some reason I thought I saw an ES300H with that piece as part of the bumper or at least body colored. I wonder if its just the 350 that doesnt get that style bumper.
Old 08-30-15, 12:06 PM
sapd911
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They have to install the front LP bracket tomorrow. I do not want to be there when they install it.
Old 08-30-15, 12:18 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

I don't particularly care for the black plastic piece attached at the end of the rear bumper. I think that portion should have been one continuos portion of the bumper.
I believe that there is a practical reason why the extension at the lower portion of the rear bumper is the black plastic-like material. In normal driving, there will regularly be small stones and other debris that are kicked up under the vehicle and that will strike that very bottom portion of the bumper. If that portion of the bumper was painted the body color, it would quickly start to look very ugly with paint chips. The black extension piece is a solid black even below its surface. Even if it gets some chips/nicks in it, the exposed surface will still be black and will not even be noticeable unless you are on your hands and knees and looking at it from a few inches away.
Old 08-30-15, 12:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

The reason its plastic is because they car comes in different configurations, hybrid and gas and having a plastic piece there that you can swap out for each configuration saves money, they don't have to design two different bumper covers, just two different diffusers.

They can also make a change to that diffuser, as they have on the 2016, and update the look again without redesigning the actual bumper cover.

FYI, on my 2003 and 2010 ES the cover was all one painted piece, there was no lower separate diffuser...but there were no different configurations that required a change (i.e. the hybrid has no visible tailpipes and the 350 does). No paint chips on the lower part of the bumpers on either of those vehicles, thats not the reason.
Old 08-30-15, 12:33 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

The new ES has a whole new steering wheel design.
Old 08-30-15, 12:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The new ES has a whole new steering wheel design.
Yes, and the sky is blue.

Old 08-30-15, 01:49 PM
user420
Driver

Originally Posted by SW15LS
The reason its plastic is because they car comes in different configurations, hybrid and gas and having a plastic piece there that you can swap out for each configuration saves money, they don't have to design two different bumper covers, just two different diffusers.

They can also make a change to that diffuser, as they have on the 2016, and update the look again without redesigning the actual bumper cover.

FYI, on my 2003 and 2010 ES the cover was all one painted piece, there was no lower separate diffuser...but there were no different configurations that required a change (i.e. the hybrid has no visible tailpipes and the 350 does). No paint chips on the lower part of the bumpers on either of those vehicles, thats not the reason.
Thanks. The cost factor sounds more plausible. Wonder how well a body shop could color match that piece? May look into that.
Old 08-30-15, 08:07 PM
2merc3lex
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

user420 you can check out my photos of my 13 ES in the "rear bumper configuration" thread to get an idea of what a paint shop can do. They did a perfect match with color.
Old 08-30-15, 08:49 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS

Yep, that makes sense.
Old 08-30-15, 08:50 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sapd911
They have to install the front LP bracket tomorrow. I do not want to be there when they install it.
Congrats and enjoy.
Old 08-31-15, 05:17 AM
user420
Driver

Originally Posted by 2merc3lex
user420 you can check out my photos of my 13 ES in the "rear bumper configuration" thread to get an idea of what a paint shop can do. They did a perfect match with color.
Now that looks really nice and is exactly what I had in mind. I was really concerned about overspray and wondered whether they removed and reinstalled the piece after painting. Was considering purchasing that piece, painting it, and then replacing the black one. How long did they keep your car? I plan to visit my local body shop today and get more info. Thanks a million. Will post pics afterwards if I decide to get it done.
Old 08-31-15, 05:37 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 642 Likes on 482 Posts

Just curious if you have dual pane windows on your 2016 UL ES. See THIS for reference, if needed.
Old 08-31-15, 05:43 AM
chrisexv6
Driver

Now that looks really nice and is exactly what I had in mind. I was really concerned about overspray and wondered whether they removed and reinstalled the piece after painting. Was considering purchasing that piece, painting it, and then replacing the black one. How long did they keep your car? I plan to visit my local body shop today and get more info. Thanks a million. Will post pics afterwards if I decide to get it done.
In the thread he says its all one piece, but I want to look closer at our '15 to verify. For some reason I thought it looked like there was a "seam" where it looks like it could separate from the bumper.

I honestly wouldnt even purchase a replacement, I would just paint it myself if I could take it off the bumper. If it has to stay on the bumper I think Id have a pro handle it.

Its not that I cant mask off correctly, but a pro would be able to give a nice smooth factory-type finish on the first try....with spray cans Im not sure I could without a lot of working/sanding/recoating, etc
Old 08-31-15, 06:28 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

This isn't something you want to paint yourself. Its actually a fairly complex part to paint. Its textured plastic that isn't designed to be painted, so that texture has to be sanded down and smoothed out and the paint has to adhere.

Its a close to $50,000 car, if you're going to do a mod like this, do it right. Spray cans belong on Civics.

The part does come off I'm sure, its just connected behind the cover.

Quick Reply: 16 ES350 UL (delivery Sat)