ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

How much does power seat drain the battery?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-15, 12:53 PM
blackicefc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much does power seat drain the battery?

Hi, I have a quick question:
Do I need to concern much about the automatic driver seat movement with the "easy exit" on? How much impact could it have on the battery life? Thanks!
Old 09-13-15, 04:19 PM
Jets
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Not enough to be of concern.
Old 09-13-15, 05:01 PM
jollick
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 155 Posts

I agree, do not even think about it.
Old 09-14-15, 04:01 AM
chrisexv6
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it just me or does it (purposely, Im guessing) move slower when the car is off than on?
Old 09-14-15, 05:14 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

While I doubt that the automatic movement of the seat is using enough battery power to cause a problem, I find the automatic movement of both the seat and the steering wheel to be a nuisance. In particular, I find it annoying to have to wait the few seconds for them to finish moving, and I have the movement of both of them disabled. The seat movement can be disabled through one of the personalized settings that can be done by the user. The steering wheel movement can be disabled via one of the personalized settings that is "dealer only", but it can also be changed by the user by using either the Carista smart phone app or the TechStream software installed on a laptop.

While I'm sure that having the seat and steering wheel move automatically can be a nice feature for someone who is somewhat overweight or who is mobility-limited, for an average-sized person, I'm not sure that I see value in having them move. Also, while I'm guessing that the motors that move the seat and the steering wheel are designed to keep working through a very large number of uses, I'd also guess that those motors can eventually fail, and, for me, I see little point in having them operate unnecessarily if I don't really need to have the seat or steering wheel move to be able to comfortably enter and exit the car.
Old 09-14-15, 05:32 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 642 Likes on 482 Posts

My seat doesn't move, but I drive with it all the way back. Only my wheel moves, which is a great.
Old 09-16-15, 09:33 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Not enough drain to worry about.
Old 09-16-15, 12:38 PM
Jets
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
While I doubt that the automatic movement of the seat is using enough battery power to cause a problem, I find the automatic movement of both the seat and the steering wheel to be a nuisance. In particular, I find it annoying to have to wait the few seconds for them to finish moving, and I have the movement of both of them disabled. The seat movement can be disabled through one of the personalized settings that can be done by the user. The steering wheel movement can be disabled via one of the personalized settings that is "dealer only", but it can also be changed by the user by using either the Carista smart phone app or the TechStream software installed on a laptop.

While I'm sure that having the seat and steering wheel move automatically can be a nice feature for someone who is somewhat overweight or who is mobility-limited, for an average-sized person, I'm not sure that I see value in having them move. Also, while I'm guessing that the motors that move the seat and the steering wheel are designed to keep working through a very large number of uses, I'd also guess that those motors can eventually fail, and, for me, I see little point in having them operate unnecessarily if I don't really need to have the seat or steering wheel move to be able to comfortably enter and exit the car.
Obviously its not necessary. Its a LUXURY feature.
Old 09-17-15, 12:57 AM
SLH
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would not let the kids play with moving it back and forth. I would expect that it would stop moving (and the kids would get bored) within an hour or two.

For modest amounts of use -- I agree with Arty. Don't worry about it. Moving the seat to vacuum under it isn't going to drain your battery.
Old 09-17-15, 05:18 PM
Nelexus88
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

I would be more concerned about the automatic headlights staying on for 15 or 30 seconds, than the seat motor running for 2 or 3 seconds. Hopefully the Lexus design engineers know what they are doing to prevent draining the battery in the coldest weather.
Old 09-21-15, 01:15 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
You could make the same argument about power windows and power locks. Why have them? Things might fail in the future? Most people don't want crank down windows and locking the car with the keys or manually.

I happen to like the feature of the seat moving back and wheel forward, an no I am not overweight or mobility challenged....but some day I may be !
Old 09-21-15, 06:03 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by Maikerusan
You could make the same argument about power windows and power locks. Why have them? Things might fail in the future? Most people don't want crank down windows and locking the car with the keys or manually.
The difference is that, for me, the power windows and power locks represent true conveniences that I wouldn't want to be without. Having the seat move back and the steering wheel rise up, on the other hand, for me, are only nuisances that cause me to have to wait for them to complete their movement and that make it no easier for me to enter the car or exit from it than it is if the seat and the wheel just stay in their normal driving positions.

If you find them to be true conveniences, by all means, use them, but, for me, I'm glad that there is the option to disable the movement of the steering wheel and the seat.