ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Need New Tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-15, 06:55 PM
Jets
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ive done the continentals on my Maxima's. Great tire. I will likely go with Continentals on my ES when I need new tires.
Old 10-29-15, 07:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts
Default Need New Tires

I have Continentals OEM on our Sedona and I'm not much of a fan...
Old 10-30-15, 03:19 PM
chandlervt
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had PureContact not extremecontact. They hug the road better than any other tire I have seen but you see a drop in gas mileage. I would stick with Michelins.
Old 11-01-15, 03:42 PM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

My vote is for the Michelins.
Old 11-04-15, 10:05 AM
brboot
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Michelin period. I have had just about every other brand in addition to Michelin and the Michelin have been the most consistent in terms of quality. The MXV4's are the quietest tire I have ever owned and we had them on three of our cars including the ES350.
Old 11-04-15, 10:22 AM
kellens
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by brboot
Michelin period. I have had just about every other brand in addition to Michelin and the Michelin have been the most consistent in terms of quality. The MXV4's are the quietest tire I have ever owned and we had them on three of our cars including the ES350.
I agree on the Primacy MXV4. Great tire for quiet and cush and a perfect match for this car....BUT...it's been discontinued..which is a huge mistake by Michelin. It's being replaced by a louder, stiffer, but more grippy tire, the Premiere A/S. There's still some MXV4 stock around in some sizes, but the concern I understood was that if then you later need one from a road hazard or such, you'd have no availability of same tire and then would have to mix and match or replace more, and the current stock is spotty and has to be shipped. With that in mind, Michelin doesn't have a great option right now. unless someone knows of something I missed, even Michelin loyalists are scrambling for a better, quieter solution.

Last edited by kellens; 11-04-15 at 10:33 AM.
Old 11-04-15, 10:30 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I think the two tires that are the best option out there for fans of the MXV4 are:

Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus

Toyo Versado Noir

I put the Toyos on my GS and liked them, the Pirellis have a lot more reviews because they're more widely available. I emailed TreadDepot who carries both tires and asked their opinion, this was the response:

Good morning Steve,

I can honestly say you aren’t going to go wrong with either tire. Both are premium lines that will give you an excellent ride and low noise. Between the two, the Pirelli has slightly better light snow traction (if that’s important), a little bit better dry traction, and it’s still a lower rolling resistance tire. Downside is some people think it’s a little bit louder, but I’ve driven cars with them and didn’t think that was the case at all. The Toyo’s will offer a slightly better ride and are a little quieter, but you do lose a little bit of mileage warranty over the Pirelli. I’d go with the Toyo if noise and ride are more important and the Pirelli if you want better handling. Again, both are excellent choices for your LS and you’re really only talking minor differences between them. If you have any questions please feel free to give me a call or shoot me an email!

Andrew
Thats exactly what my independent tire dealer said. On the GS I got the Toyos because they were out of the Pirellis, and I actually took a buddy last week over there to get a set of the Pirellis on his Accord and they were again out, and he got the Toyos. They're nice on his car, bearing in mind Accords are VERY loud.

The crux of my concern is just the relatively little information out there about the Toyos vs the huge amount of overwhelmingly positive info about the Pirellis...

Still deciding what I'm going to do.
Old 11-04-15, 11:55 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by kellens
I agree on the Primacy MXV4. Great tire for quiet and cush and a perfect match for this car....BUT...it's been discontinued..which is a huge mistake by Michelin. It's being replaced by a louder, stiffer, but more grippy tire, the Premiere A/S. There's still some MXV4 stock around in some sizes, but the concern I understood was that if then you later need one from a road hazard or such, you'd have no availability of same tire and then would have to mix and match or replace more, and the current stock is spotty and has to be shipped. With that in mind, Michelin doesn't have a great option right now. unless someone knows of something I missed, even Michelin loyalists are scrambling for a better, quieter solution.
The MXV4 looks like it is still available on the Michelin web site.
http://www.michelinman.com/US/en/tir...s-and-versions
Old 11-04-15, 01:08 PM
Kenya
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go with Michelin. 100% of the time buddy.
Old 11-04-15, 03:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Default Need New Tires

Michelin is not the only company that makes good tires guys lol. In fact, they have several lines that are aggressively mediocre.
Old 11-04-15, 05:38 PM
kellens
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Michelin is not the only company that makes good tires guys lol. In fact, they have several lines that are aggressively mediocre.
Can't deny Michelin's marketing, they've made some die-hards. They tend to price higher to appeal to the 'pay what you get for' crowd. I like Michelin overall, but they've had some stinkers, and not sure the Premiere A/S with wear is reviewing as well as I'd like in quiet/comfort categories, but quick to point out I have no personal experience with them.

Looking through older posts (I've learned how to search forums better), I saw you had the Versados on your GS, did you have a chance to try Lexus on the P7s? A friend has them on his Buick, and they seem to be pretty planted feeling and quiet.
Old 11-04-15, 05:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

My old 03 ES is still in the family and it has the P7s on it, they replaced the Primacy MXV4 and they seem very quiet.
Old 11-04-15, 05:51 PM
kellens
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SW15LS
My old 03 ES is still in the family and it has the P7s on it, they replaced the Primacy MXV4 and they seem very quiet.
That's cool. That it's still in the family, and good results. If had to speculate between Versado and P7 or even MXV4 if could find, knowing this would be on and LS or ES, neither going to be a corner carving type machine, what you you go with for quiet/cush? Thanks in advance. Have read many helpful posts from you.
Old 11-04-15, 06:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It's a tough call, and exactly the decision I'm going through. I would lean towards the P7 only because there is so much data out there about them...

No problem, happy to help!
Old 11-13-15, 08:24 PM
caboal
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the Michelin defenders about a week and a half ago. I couldn't resist the 90K miles that Consumer Reports says they actually get. I don't notice any road noise, but after about 6-700 miles, I have noticed about a 6-8% drop in gas mileage. It could be just that they have more tread on them and the tire is bigger around, but it's kind of a bummer to average 41+ MPG and have it drop to about 38-.

Quick Reply: Need New Tires