ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Adding Remote Start advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-15, 12:38 PM
chileboy
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Adding Remote Start advice

I'm looking for advice on aftermarket remote starters. This is for a 2103 ES350.

Can anyone recommend one that they've purchased?

I'd really like to get a system that worked with a smartphone app for remote functionality (starting, locking/unlocking, etc.) but I'm leery of the subscription fees, so probably just looking at a fob-based system.

Thanks,

- Mark
Old 11-04-15, 04:10 PM
gemini6kl
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

The -evo fortin all- remote start system is pretty good and uses your lexus keyfob to start the car. I have it installed on my 2013 ES350. p.s the 2103 lexus ES350 uses your very own thoughts to start the car. lol
Old 11-05-15, 05:58 AM
chileboy
Rookie

^ I found that on Amazon, it looks pretty good. And inexpensive! Did you do the install yourself? How difficult was it?

Anyone else using this or a different system?
Old 11-05-15, 03:02 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,300 Likes on 905 Posts

I purchased an Audiovox system without smartphone access. Works just like the factory remote but with increased range. Cost was around $275.00 installed. There are various models available including one with smartphone use and a yearly subscription.
Old 11-05-15, 10:32 PM
BSoulMan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chileboy
I'm looking for advice on aftermarket remote starters. This is for a 2103 ES350.

Can anyone recommend one that they've purchased?

I'd really like to get a system that worked with a smartphone app for remote functionality (starting, locking/unlocking, etc.) but I'm leery of the subscription fees, so probably just looking at a fob-based system.

Thanks,

- Mark
There is a company Connect2Car (http://www.connect2car.com/) that may offer something that works for you, I am looking into this for my car that I just purchased.
Old 11-05-15, 11:24 PM
gemini6kl
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes I installed it myself but like I was telling a previous poster. U have to have experience soldering and splicing wires and u must feel comfortable taking apart the panels under the steering to get to the wires to do the job. If u have a problem with any of the following then dont try to do it yourself. However The website does provide very specific diagrams of wht wires to tap into and how to take apart the panels. Goodluck.
Old 11-06-15, 05:51 AM
Nelexus88
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

There is a nice Youtube video on the installation of an evo remote start in a 2014 ES 300h. Gives you a good idea of all the connections and steps required. Not sure I would want to attempt this myself.
Old 11-06-15, 06:37 AM
chileboy
Rookie

Originally Posted by bc6152
I purchased an Audiovox system without smartphone access. Works just like the factory remote but with increased range. Cost was around $275.00 installed. There are various models available including one with smartphone use and a yearly subscription.
Thank you, it looks like they have a bunch of options. The only thing that bugs me is that I'd have to use their remote (or subscription). But the upside is that you gain the extended range.

Originally Posted by BSoulMan
There is a company Connect2Car (http://www.connect2car.com/) that may offer something that works for you, I am looking into this for my car that I just purchased.
This looks pretty slick. Not sure about the subscription costs though.
Old 11-06-15, 06:41 AM
chileboy
Rookie

Originally Posted by gemini6kl
Yes I installed it myself but like I was telling a previous poster. U have to have experience soldering and splicing wires and u must feel comfortable taking apart the panels under the steering to get to the wires to do the job. If u have a problem with any of the following then dont try to do it yourself. However The website does provide very specific diagrams of wht wires to tap into and how to take apart the panels. Goodluck.
Originally Posted by Nelexus88
There is a nice Youtube video on the installation of an evo remote start in a 2014 ES 300h. Gives you a good idea of all the connections and steps required. Not sure I would want to attempt this myself.
2014 LEXUS ES 300h Remote Start Installation PART 1 of 2 - YouTube
Yeah, I used to do all kinds of DIY stuff when I was driving a 1981 Firebird (and older models...) Not comfortable doing it myself now to be honest.

Related important question - do I run the risk of voiding my Lexus warranty by installing something like this, whether I do it myself or have a professional install it?
Old 11-06-15, 02:11 PM
lamikela1
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

If you have to pay a monthly fee why not just go with RES+. It's plug and play and will work on a '13. I added one to mine. You would also have unlimited range and would not void the warranty. You do need to remove some panels but there is no soldering required.
Old 11-09-15, 11:57 AM
chileboy
Rookie

Originally Posted by lamikela1
If you have to pay a monthly fee why not just go with RES+. It's plug and play and will work on a '13. I added one to mine. You would also have unlimited range and would not void the warranty. You do need to remove some panels but there is no soldering required.
But's that the thing, I'd prefer to avoid the monthly fee...except I'm tempted by those systems.
Old 11-10-15, 07:16 AM
lamikela1
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Any way you go there's pro's and con's. If you go aftermarket you'll need some type of key override for the remote start but you actually may be able to get in the car while it's running which RES can't do. The downside is that there will be a good bit of wire identification needed as well as spicing and soldering and some testing to confirm that all is working as designed. If you are not too good at this then you risk screwing something up. Also, if you leave it to an alarm installer you are at their mercy so you'll have to find someone who knows what they are doing.

I generally do not let anyone touch my cars if I can help it as I don't want any collateral damage done from the work they are doing. If I have to let that happen I do my best to check out their previous work experience before they touch my car.