ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Lexus cheaped out on the tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-15, 04:42 PM
TomMartin
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kellens
That's a decent deal for the swap. Just curious if you know if they had the MXV Primacy in stock, and how you like Premiere vs them.

The 2016 ES they took some liberties to smooth out the suspension and added some noise deadening that to me was noticeable. ALSO noticeable, is how different the ES is on 19" Bridgestone vs 18" Primacy. The Primacy on 18" was silky smooth...but have to ask them to change out the 19" wheels that come on UL versions. Good dealers won't lose the deal over a tire swap, though might not get the $800 back for going from 19 to 18. Is worth it though if a comfort cruiser is your goal.
I wanted the Premier as I already had them on my '08 Accord and they seem just fine. My understanding is that the Premier will be replacing the Primacy? Tire rack essentially has the Premier and the Pirelli P7 as tied for #1 in their consumer survey. I was really pleased to move up from the 22nd rated "Standard All Season Tire (out of 22 in that class) to #2 (by a couple off .01s) in the Premium Touring All Season class (out of 37 I believe)...huge improvement no matter how you cut it.

I was very happy with the $100 tire change out...particularly since I took delivery and brought it up after a day or two...only drove it about 100 miles.

Also, it is pretty snowy up here and tires seem quite sure footed...do wish I had AWD but wife has lived with 2-3 FWD vehicles for many years here in snowy MN

TomMartin
Old 12-30-15, 05:09 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,014 Likes on 693 Posts

Originally Posted by kellens
That's a decent deal for the swap. Just curious if you know if they had the MXV Primacy in stock, and how you like Premiere vs them.

The 2016 ES they took some liberties to smooth out the suspension and added some noise deadening that to me was noticeable. ALSO noticeable, is how different the ES is on 19" Bridgestone vs 18" Primacy. The Primacy on 18" was silky smooth...but have to ask them to change out the 19" wheels that come on UL versions. Good dealers won't lose the deal over a tire swap, though might not get the $800 back for going from 19 to 18. Is worth it though if a comfort cruiser is your goal.
Just like with the 2013-2015 ES, the 2016 ES comes with either 17 inch wheels or 18 inch wheels. There is not a 19 inch wheel option.
Old 12-30-15, 05:19 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,014 Likes on 693 Posts

Originally Posted by TomMartin
I wanted the Premier as I already had them on my '08 Accord and they seem just fine. My understanding is that the Premier will be replacing the Primacy? Tire rack essentially has the Premier and the Pirelli P7 as tied for #1 in their consumer survey. I was really pleased to move up from the 22nd rated "Standard All Season Tire (out of 22 in that class) to #2 (by a couple off .01s) in the Premium Touring All Season class (out of 37 I believe)...huge improvement no matter how you cut it.

I was very happy with the $100 tire change out...particularly since I took delivery and brought it up after a day or two...only drove it about 100 miles.

Also, it is pretty snowy up here and tires seem quite sure footed...do wish I had AWD but wife has lived with 2-3 FWD vehicles for many years here in snowy MN

TomMartin
While I like the fact that, with the Premier tires, braking performance supposedly does not deteriorate as the tires wear, the downside of the Premiere tires is that they don't not have the low rolling resistance rating that the MXV4 tires have. Thus, it is likely that, with the Premier tires, you are not going to see quite the same level of fuel efficiency as with the MXV4 tires.
Old 12-31-15, 09:08 AM
Ken7
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TomMartin
Just got Bridgestone's traded out for Michelin Premier on '16 ESh...Took delivery and forgot to check the tires. Traded for $100 tire change fee...I was fine with that. Surprised they had 4 Premier's in stock. Have the Michelin Premier on the '08 Accord that my daughter is getting and it seems like a good tire.

First 300 miles 36.5 according to the do...heavily loaded with files. etc. @00 of 300 freeway at 72 mph cruise.

I really like the car. Will need a second "training" session to learn everything. Wife will especially need some training.

Boy, does my 2--4 Land Cruiser seem OLD after driving a new car

TomMartin
Tom, was this something you got done at the Lexus dealer and if so, is that unusual?

I picked up a new 2016 ES350 and it too came with the 18" Bridgestones. I've noticed that road noise seems greater than it should be and I'm assuming it's the Bridgestones at fault.

If you didn't get this deal from the Lexus dealer, would tire supply centers give me anything for the almost brand new Bridgestones?
Old 12-31-15, 09:43 AM
TomMartin
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Ken7
Tom, was this something you got done at the Lexus dealer and if so, is that unusual?

I picked up a new 2016 ES350 and it too came with the 18" Bridgestones. I've noticed that road noise seems greater than it should be and I'm assuming it's the Bridgestones at fault.

If you didn't get this deal from the Lexus dealer, would tire supply centers give me anything for the almost brand new Bridgestones?
I did the exchange 2 days after I took delivery. It was done by the Lexus dealer. I should have arranged before taking delivery. The dealer agreed to change to the Michelins that often come as OEM on the same vehicle...but I asked if they had the Premier Michelins in stock and they did and agreed to exchange for them. I do not believe the Michelin Premiers are OEM...at least on the ES. The convenience of getting me in literally right away w/o an appointment, allowing me to trade for a non-OEM tire and then charging me $100 which I felt was very fair...the whole transaction was a positive. Not sure if all dealers would handle the same way.

Also, how long since you took delivery/how many miles? I had only had a couple of days and only driven less than 100 miles. I called a couple of tire dealers and asked about exchange...no luck. Seems like you used to be able to do "new tire" exchange". Start with the dealer...maybe the sales guy...or a service guy if you know one well? Good Luck...TomMartin
Old 12-31-15, 09:47 AM
Ken7
Driver

Tom, I've got about 150 miles on the car now. I picked it up on 12/26. I'll have to see if my dealer would do the same, but I have my doubts.

As an alternative, I wonder if regular tire dealers would offer anything for 'nearly new' tires.
Old 12-31-15, 10:33 AM
irishbrahm
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Discount Tire gave me a $100 credit for the Bridgestones (which had about 1300 miles on them).
Old 12-31-15, 11:48 AM
Ken7
Driver

Originally Posted by irishbrahm
Discount Tire gave me a $100 credit for the Bridgestones (which had about 1300 miles on them).
Was that a total of $100 or $100 per tire? I'm assuming the former.
Old 12-31-15, 12:20 PM
TomMartin
Pit Crew

$100 total for removal/instal/and balance...TomMartin
Old 12-31-15, 12:37 PM
irishbrahm
Intermediate

With Discount Tire, it was $100 total.
Old 12-31-15, 12:44 PM
Ken7
Driver

Thanks Irish
Old 01-01-16, 08:38 AM
Ken7
Driver

So does anyone have an opinion as to what the quietest 18" tire for a 2016 ES350 would be?
Old 01-01-16, 09:20 AM
kellens
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
Just like with the 2013-2015 ES, the 2016 ES comes with either 17 inch wheels or 18 inch wheels. There is not a 19 inch wheel option.
You are right on...i fixed my error.

The 17' is the size it seems one would want unless purchasing this car for more handling, in which case the ES is the wrong choice...plenty of other options for that, but very few options for luxurious smooth, quiet cruiser.
Old 01-01-16, 09:23 AM
kellens
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

So does anyone have an opinion as to what the quietest 18" tire for a 2016 ES350 would be?
Michelin Primacy MXV4 (not MXM), Perelli P7, Toyo Versado are three I'd check out...have only tested the MXV on this chassis and P7 on another. Michelin Premier also rated quiet, but some reviews say it's loud on grooved highways and some road surfaces. Michelin went more for less loss in grip over wear instead. Nobody would likely say the Bridgestone option that comes on many ES is a quiet one.

Check some of the review sites. Tire rack only rates what they sell, but a good source. Consumer reports, for what that's worth, the only 'superior' tire in their reviews for quiet was the MXV4, They're being discontinued and were left out of the latest test, which had no superior rated quiet tires in this category. The trend has come to more 'sporty' than quiet the last decade or so. Hopefully more, quiet options will come soon. I'm all for sporty when want it, but the vast majority of driving is in suburbia and highways with broken roads.

Last edited by kellens; 01-02-16 at 08:12 PM.
Old 01-01-16, 09:23 AM
irishbrahm
Intermediate

So I've driven about 150 miles on the Michelin MXM4s and 250 miles on the Pirelli P7s. The Pirellis are considerably quieter and smoother than the Michelins. And I'm someone who's bought Michelin tires exclusively for the past 10 years!

Quick Reply: Lexus cheaped out on the tires