ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Why did you buy your ES and what else did you consider?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-19, 05:01 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 658 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by nuraman00
What made it better, to you?
Just a guess, but probably reliability. I can't think of any other area where the ES would beat those two out.
Old 04-29-19, 07:23 AM
AbeFromann
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
They offered to "fix" it, which I politely declined. I don't trust car dealer's detailing skills. Just look at all the swirls on cars they've had sitting on their lots awhile. They treat them like cattle.
Thanks for the Reply Mike, appreciate the feedback.
Old 04-29-19, 07:47 AM
hisstojay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
Just a guess, but probably reliability. I can't think of any other area where the ES would beat those two out.
Yes, I guess you nailed it !!!!! Reliability........
Old 04-29-19, 08:05 AM
AbeFromann
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Recently purchased a 2015 ES350 UL.
I bought my current ES after owning a 2010 ES 350. Before buying the 2010 ES, I was looking for a nice, reliable 4 door. I compared the basic family cars, Accord, Fusion, MKZ, Camry, and Avalon.
I then settled on Camry/Avalon but then started looking at the ES as a better version of the Toyotas. I test drove the ES and was really impressed by the ride and comfort so narrowed it to that and waited for the right color and options since I was buying used. After owning the 2010 for 4 years, I wanted an upgrade. Again looking at used so I was interested in a 2013+ ES or GS. I liked what the GS offered on paper and knowing what Toyota and Lexus are, I wanted to stay in the family. I also wanted something a little more sporty as my kids are not in infant car seats anymore and I owned sportier cars before having kids. I test drove the GS350 and I wasn't overly impressed with the performance; it's sportier than the ES but the power wasn't there unless you really put your foot in it. I could have gone GS F but the biggest problem would have been the interior room. The kids are still in car seats and the back seats were not much roomier then my 2010 ES, especially with the big drive shaft tunnel cutting through the middle of the car.

Back to the ES. I had a few loaner ES (350 and hybrid) and ultimately decided on the 350; at that point, just started looking for one with the options I wanted when I came across the UL. Very happy with the car and looking at the 2019 ES, I think the 2019+ ES F is going to be in my future.

Old 04-29-19, 03:49 PM
cb109
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tootsall
No idea on history issues with sensor-based features...when buying used vehicle with a specific budget range in our market, choices are limited. Subsequent posts here concerning the cost of replacement sensors when needed makes me glad I don’t have any. My one absolute requirement was a Navigation package.

Not worried about interior... see this thread where I posted for reason why. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-seat-dye.html. We don’t carry children around and our dog only rides in the back of the RAV.
  • Did you also consider the 5th Gen ES (2011+ for regular fuel)? If so, I'm curious to know your pros and cons between that and the 6th Gen. No, I had no interest in a “ Lexus/Camry”. As stated, I initially wanted a 4 cyl. Camry but thought why not go for a V-6; being retired I no longer commute 120 km daily so a marginal increase in fuel consumption coupled with much lower daily driving meant lower fuel bills. Why not then consider Avalon (checked out a couple of fully loaded ones), and that led to Gen 6 ES.
  • Is maintenance more expensive for the ES compared to a Camry or Avalon? If I want to drive to Calgary for service, Yes! Possibly about double. There is only a Toyota dealer where I live (no Lexus) and they are not affiliated with a Lexus dealer (unlike Vancouver where Jim Pattison owns both Toyota and Lexus and they have a “no compete” rule...probably similar in Toronto, etc.). Being as the ES is based on the Avalon, most of the mechanical bits should be interchangeable and the Toyota dealer said they’d be happy to do any regular service or any work that was the same as for Avalon. I really can’t say though, because I have not had any dealership work done yet.
  • Do you have any clues as to the likely lifetime in years and/or mileage in the Canadian climate? The concern is underbody rust.
  • I can’t see a problem with rust: I drove an 03 Camry for 15 years and there is NO rust on it. They don’t use much salt in our area; just wait for a chinook toblow it away.
  • What was the odometer at on your 2014 ES purchase? Would you be apprehensive of purchasing a somewhat higher mileage ES in Canada? eg. 2011 MY with ~160k km (100k miles)
  • 113,000 km, the same as the ‘13 RAV4 we got for my wife last year. When they tried to sell me extended warrantee on my ‘03 I said “forget it, that’s why I’m buying a Toyota”. I don’t think I’d go over 140,000 km at purchase though (but that’s just me). High mileage + newer model year = highway miles which Toyotas love. Low miles, older means possible a lot of stop and go...not so friendly for wear and tear.
Because of the mileage I was able to get it for $21,000 Cdn ($15,400 US at today’s exchange rate) and it had an oil change and complete brake job after it came off lease.
Thanks for the detailed reply.

I asked about the 5th Gen since I read some people prefer how it rides compared to the 6th Gen.

I'm jealous that you can go 15 years with no rust! There's lots of salt, rocks, and potholes here. That pretty much gives away my location... I worry about cars having little to no surface rust but a crumbling underbody, which may not be easy to tell right away.

I'm seeing 2011 ES350s with 150k km starting around $12k CAD, or 2013-2014 with 65k to 100k km for $18-20k CAD.
Old 04-29-19, 04:07 PM
Tootsall
Instructor

Received 202 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by cb109
Thanks for the detailed reply.

I asked about the 5th Gen since I read some people prefer how it rides compared to the 6th Gen.

I'm jealous that you can go 15 years with no rust! There's lots of salt, rocks, and potholes here. That pretty much gives away my location... I worry about cars having little to no surface rust but a crumbling underbody, which may not be easy to tell right away.

I'm seeing 2011 ES350s with 150k km starting around $12k CAD, or 2013-2014 with 65k to 100k km for $18-20k CAD.
Yes, I’ve lived and driven in both Montreal and Toronto in the past. The Salt company is the auto industry’s best friend. Out this way, BC uses a crush for “sand”; sharp, jagged and coarse. Trucks in Alberta throw heavier stuff at you. Count on a windshield every 3 years or so. The prices you are seeing seem about par: you might find something out this way at equivalent price but far less salt. Could make for a fun return home (hopefully you could winkle a way out of paying PST). Check Autotrader...put your city in as Red Deer and radius of 250 km will get you all dealers in AB.
Old 04-29-19, 09:15 PM
cb109
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tootsall
Yes, I’ve lived and driven in both Montreal and Toronto in the past. The Salt company is the auto industry’s best friend. Out this way, BC uses a crush for “sand”; sharp, jagged and coarse. Trucks in Alberta throw heavier stuff at you. Count on a windshield every 3 years or so. The prices you are seeing seem about par: you might find something out this way at equivalent price but far less salt. Could make for a fun return home (hopefully you could winkle a way out of paying PST). Check Autotrader...put your city in as Red Deer and radius of 250 km will get you all dealers in AB.
Hmm that's an idea. Searching further away for unsalted cars. Although, I'm not entirely comfortable going too far in our current vehicle. Still, for fun I searched on Autotrader. And what do you know, the east really is the center of the universe! 60% of the ES (within budget) nationwide are within 500km of here.

To address this thread's topic, I haven't bought an ES yet, though leaning towards it, but also looking at the Kia Cadenza.