ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

2016 ES350- Rattles anyone

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-16 | 07:37 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by Canesguy
I've had rattles/vibrations in the driver's door of a couple of my recent Lexus'. They are often associated with cold temps., and often go away by themselves. Unfortunately, as was pointed out, there is a poor success rate fixing them by the dealer.
+1

Originally Posted by Ken7
Thanks corradoMR2. However the one thing that's not on your list may have been the major cause of my rattle. It turns out to be the unoccupied front passenger seat.

As I was driving down a bumpy road, the rattling began and I noticed the seat back was vibrating quite a bit. So I pulled over, moved the seat all the way forward and moved the seat back all the way forward. I then went around the block and drove down the same road. Noise was gone!

I then put the seat back to its original position, but this time stuffed a small hand towel in the seat crevice where the seat cushion meets the seat back. My intent was to stiffen the seat back. That too worked, but it was just a bit less effective than my first approach.

Either way it seemed to point the finger at the seat back itself. I can't begin to tell you how this strengthened my feeling for the car as I drove down bumpy roads and heard almost no noise.

So now I imagine I need to make an appointment with Lexus to have them tighten the seat back...if that's what they do.
Yep, my RX's rear seat rattled (related to Item 9 above) when unoccupied as well as my CT's (which was the front passenger's like your ES). Towels helped alleviate the rattle on the RX, but as for the CT, they replaced the entire seat.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ct-...ml#post7764128

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ml#post8290102
Old 01-04-16 | 08:35 AM
mspearl95
Instructor

Thanks corradoMR2. However the one thing that's not on your list may have been the major cause of my rattle. It turns out to be the unoccupied front passenger seat.

As I was driving down a bumpy road, the rattling began and I noticed the seat back was vibrating quite a bit. So I pulled over, moved the seat all the way forward and moved the seat back all the way forward. I then went around the block and drove down the same road. Noise was gone!

I then put the seat back to its original position, but this time stuffed a small hand towel in the seat crevice where the seat cushion meets the seat back. My intent was to stiffen the seat back. That too worked, but it was just a bit less effective than my first approach.

Either way it seemed to point the finger at the seat back itself. I can't begin to tell you how this strengthened my feeling for the car as I drove down bumpy roads and heard almost no noise.

So now I imagine I need to make an appointment with Lexus to have them tighten the seat back...if that's what they do.
mine has this same rattle('13), but it didn't start until the carpet was taken out to dry it after the evap hose clogged.
Old 01-04-16 | 08:42 AM
Ken7
Driver

I've had rattles/vibrations in the driver's door of a couple of my recent Lexus'. They are often associated with cold temps., and often go away by themselves. Unfortunately, as was pointed out, there is a poor success rate fixing them by the dealer.

BTW, all three of my Acuras, and my current Accord, developed multiple rattles after several months, or a year, and were more intrusive. In fact, of all car brands I've owned, Honda products were the most rattle-prone, and showed the most interior wear. Hopefully, their newer products (although not my Accord) are better.
Yup, we've had several Acuras and they've all rattled. However my wife's current TLX which we've had for a year, has no rattles at all. It's day & night in that respect to previous Acuras. They've also softened the ride quite a bit relative to the older TLs.
Old 01-04-16 | 09:24 AM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

BTW, all three of my Acuras, and my current Accord, developed multiple rattles after several months, or a year, and were more intrusive. In fact, of all car brands I've owned, Honda products were the most rattle-prone, and showed the most interior wear. Hopefully, their newer products (although not my Accord) are better.
We have a 2004 Honda Pilot with 192,000 miles on it, it has fewer rattles than even the newer loaner cars. That includes trips to Colorado, where it went down to -1 Fahrenheit. I think it's simply hit or miss.
Old 01-04-16 | 04:44 PM
biglexfan
Driver School Candidate

I have got my car checked by the dealer three times over a rattle that is coming from the passenger side. The first time, they did nothing as they could not reproduce the problem during the test drive. The second time, they stuffed some foam inside the B-pillar. That did not resolve the problem. The third time, the mechanic sat in the rear passenger seat and hit one of the door panel with his palm. It created a vibration noise that lingered much longer than the other door panels. He then tightened that panel. The rattle did not completely disappear but at least it now only comes on when driving over a really rough surface. This suggest that there were multiple causes of the rattling noise.

I have done a few other DIY solutions suggested in this and other forums. It did not conclusively remove the rattles all the time. I guess I will just learn to ignore it or bump up my stereo volume. Puzzling, my other family members do not hear the rattles. I have installed sound insulation mat on all my four wheel wells to suppress some road noise, that inevitably created a heightened awareness of all other sources of noise.

Prior to owning my current 2014 ES, I was driving a 2011 RX. Not a squeak from my RX other than the occasional shaking empty front passenger seat.

Last edited by biglexfan; 01-04-16 at 09:53 PM.
Old 01-04-16 | 07:06 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

What sound insulation mat?
Old 01-04-16 | 09:35 PM
biglexfan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NickTee
What sound insulation mat?

A layer of Luxury Liner pro from Second Skin in between the metal and the wheel well plastic layer. It was a package offered by a local audio shop. I did the same on my previous RX because the Bridgestone tire was rather audible.

It helped suppress road noise a little but the effect is most obvious only in the first few hours after it was installed. After a while, the new “silence” becomes the norm and you begin to hear from other sources of noise that was not detected previously.

Last edited by biglexfan; 01-04-16 at 09:53 PM.
Old 01-05-16 | 06:47 AM
Ken7
Driver

Well unfortunately my noise is back. I was convinced it was the unoccupied front passenger seat, but now I'm not sure. I'd still bet it's playing a role in the noise and the fact that we've had our first cold outbreak, 12 degrees, may be exacerbating the issue. Yesterday, with my wife in the car, I heard no noise.

I plan on getting my Pirellis tomorrow, so I'm hoping that cuts some of the road noise and softens the ride a bit. It won't take care of the noise I'm hearing, but it should help other issues.
Old 01-06-16 | 03:22 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

My 2014 ES300h has rattling grab handles in the front, especially when driving on rough roads on cold days. I haven't gotten around to putting tape around the plastic caps, wiggling them around usually stops the rattling temporarily.
Old 01-06-16 | 07:05 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Well unfortunately my noise is back. I was convinced it was the unoccupied front passenger seat, but now I'm not sure. I'd still bet it's playing a role in the noise and the fact that we've had our first cold outbreak, 12 degrees, may be exacerbating the issue. Yesterday, with my wife in the car, I heard no noise.
If you think that the rattle could be coming from the front passenger seat, the source could actually be the headrest on that seat. As I suggested earlier in the thread, the headrest has 5 or 6 positions that it can be locked into. If the headrest is between two of those positions, it will chatter a bit. Also note that, if the headrest is positioned all the way down, it is not locked into any of the positions, and it will rattle a bit. If you don't notice the rattle when someone is sitting in that seat, it could be because the weight of the person's body is stopping the seat back and headrest from being able to move and rattle.
Old 01-06-16 | 12:48 PM
Ken7
Driver

Lesz, so the weird thing is whenever my wife sits in the seat, the noise is gone. I've tried tapping, hitting and pounding the headrest and seat back, yet I can't reproduce the noise I hear when she's not there. It's just bizarre. I know the headrest is in the clicked position and not in-between 2 positions. I did find a little plastic cover thingy under the seat that makes a bit of a noise when I tap it, so I stuffed something there. But I doubt that's what it is.

On a brighter note I got my new Pirelli P7 AW+ tires today. They do make a difference. The ride is quieter on many roads and hitting certain road irregularities is not as jarring as with the Bridgestones.
Old 01-19-16 | 05:11 AM
neild
Driver School Candidate

Although I love the car, when I go over some rough road surfaces or broken pavement, I can hear some noise coming from the dash and the interior sides of the car. It's not horrible, but audible to me..
I am quite surprised that a 2016 model still has the same issues as my 2013 ES300H, I already brought my car twice to dealer and still have annoying crackling noise coming from the front passenger side. The majority of noises came from inside in the headliner near the headlamp close to the sun roof and behind the front dashboard more exactly behind the radio. I started to hear more noises when I put on my winter tires, I guess you will find a difference when you will switch tires.
And yes my wife too doesn't hear these noises.
Old 01-19-16 | 10:01 AM
Ken7
Driver

Neil, I do hear much less of the noise now that I switched to Pirellis. The remaining noise (after stuffing a small hand towel in the crack of the seat) is still coming from the passenger side, but it's tolerable and not nearly as common. I still think it's the seat.

My friend bought the same car within a week of mine and has exactly the same noises, but he hasn't switched tires. He said it's easy to see the seat back vibrating over rough roads when nobody is sitting there. I think that seat is a real issue.
Old 01-19-16 | 10:10 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

I've had the seat vibration noise in several cars, an '06 Avalon and a '13 ES 350 being the latest. When someone is sitting in the seat there is no vibration due to the weight holding it in place. Other than a Rube Goldberg attempt to eliminate it with towels and other things, I don't think that there's a solution. It does occur more on rough roads.
Old 01-19-16 | 04:30 PM
neild
Driver School Candidate

Neil, I do hear much less of the noise now that I switched to Pirellis. The remaining noise (after stuffing a small hand towel in the crack of the seat) is still coming from the passenger side, but it's tolerable and not nearly as common. I still think it's the seat.

My friend bought the same car within a week of mine and has exactly the same noises, but he hasn't switched tires. He said it's easy to see the seat back vibrating over rough roads when nobody is sitting there. I think that seat is a real issue.
That makes sense, whenever I have an object on the front passenger seat the noise becomes louder I guess due to the excessive rattling from the seat.

Quick Reply: 2016 ES350- Rattles anyone