ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

2015 ES 350 Loaner Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-16, 05:09 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts
Default 2015 ES 350 Loaner Impressions

So unfortunately for me, my NX has had a tapping rattle-like noise that has been incredibly difficult to determine its source for me and my dealer. Long story short, for these three separate visits to the dealer, last of which is currently ongoing, fortunately I've had an ES 350 loaner for several days to ease the pain.

I have very favorable impressions of the ES and this says a lot considering my love for F Sport models and other sporty cars outside Lexus.

What I really like:

1. Quiet drive. All the sound-deadening including the acoustic Lamisafe windshield and side front glass makes wonders for road and wind noise.

2. Smooth V6 power. My IS' 2.5L V6 is buttery smooth while the ES's is more powerful yet more serene.

3. Effortless steering. Enthusiasts will complain how "unconnected" the steering feel is on the ES. That's the whole point! It needs to feel like it's not there. Mission accomplished.

4. Ride comfort. Long wheelbase and compliant suspension tuning along with 17" tires makes my loaner ride like a limo.

5. Expansive interior room. Speaking of limo-like ride, the rear's ~40" of leg room is phenomenal. My pre-teens seem so far away from the driver's seat.

6. Fuel economy. Despite it's ~10" longer length than either my NX or IS, the ES weighs less than either. This translates into better fuel economy despite more power. The low drag coefficient does help too. I'm seeing about a 5% improvement and it only needs Regular gas unlike my other two.

7. Interior styling. Really like the dash and console design and the expansive use of genuine wood.

What I like less.

1. Exterior Styling. It's a little ho-hum for me especially in white and the base 17" wheels. Admittedly though, with a blacked out roof (or pano roof), upgraded wheels, it can look pretty sharp to my eyes.

2. Size. 193" is a few inches too long for me. It barely fits in my garage - just look at the pics!

3. Interior bits quality. Some hard plastics in the center console, window switches, and lower door panels look cheap. The 2016 though has addressed much of that.

Overall, a very nice ride and I can see myself in one of these one day. Enjoy your ES's!

Old 01-03-16, 08:15 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 721 Likes on 528 Posts

Great to hear you are enjoying the loaner. They do make great family cars and they are very comfortable on a road trip.

I agree on the length which is about 5" longer than the RX. We actually park it in at an angle (helps to have a three car garage with no car in that third bay).

Now you should drive the 300h for a few days and see how that compares to your old CT. I think you would be amazed at how a car that large can average 38+ mpg. We were really amazed at how favorably it compared to our Prius when we were shopping.

The main negative observation we have after driving the car for nearly a year is the high door threshold. It makes ingress/egress a bit more work than the old Prius. When we take other people with us, they often drag their feet across the threshold rather than lifting them up and setting them over. It is a minor complaint and not enough to change my overall impression of the car - just a general observation.
Old 01-03-16, 10:33 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Doug, I've been in a colleague's 300h a couple of times and I do enjoy the ESh. I miss the CT's quiet operation and the ESh's is even better from what I recall. Never noticed the high rocker panel but come to think of it, I did rb on it a couple times during ingress...
Old 01-03-16, 03:17 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 721 Likes on 528 Posts

Your comment about the spacious rear seat was one of the selling points for us. With our elderly parents we thought it would work well but they struggle with those tall rocker panels. If you push against them you will see they are plastic so I'm not entirely sure what their purpose is. It obviously isn't structural. It just seems like they could have been shorter but I realize that would have required taller doors and who knows what other adjustments. Anyway, we really enjoy the car and this is just a minor issue.

Thank you for such a thoughtful and detailed review of your loaner. It may not be a sporty car or exciting car, but it is an extremely comfortable car.