ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Picked up 2016 Lexus ES 350 Ultra Luxury Edition on 01/12/2016

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-16, 07:07 PM
imz14u2nv
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chromedome
Oh man, all the little things add up. The pre-2016 ES had a lot of irritating bits that felt out of place in a car costing that much. I'm glad the 2016 fixes those, especially the stiff ride. What tires are you on?

You didn't mention the rear lights. Lexus actually had the L shape on the old lights but the LEDs didn't light it up, whereas the light tubes on the new lights look great.
My car has BRIDGESTONE TURANZA EL400 (P225/45 R18 91V), apparently they are horrible and hated by all…lol, I don’t know enough so the jury’s still out on this.

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
congrats on your upgrade and great detailed list of improvements!
Thanks so much!! A few other small items that I didn’t mention:

New Gauges:
The 2016 has new Gauges, they don’t make a lot of difference if you ask me but they are different, the only one I don’t like is the Fuel Gauge which just seems to have a short needle, I preferred the 2013 better (Only the Fuel Gauge though)

Visors:
My 2007 had Better Quality visors as they felt more solid and significant than my 2013 which had visors that felt like cardboard, I am happy to report that the 2016 has bought back the higher quality more solid feeling visors (Small thing but, I like the more quality feel)

2 USB Ports:
My 2013 had only 1 usb port, the 2016 has 2.

Originally Posted by Mike728
In my almost 3 years of ownership, I've never felt the need to close them. I think I'm just weird that way, as my wife closes her's all the time!

Congrats on the new '16!
Thanks, Yes, I must confess, I never close mine either, the reason that I always got the Ultra Luxury Edition was for the Panoramic Roof because I like to keep everything closed for the quiet interior levels, but I love the cockpit being nicely and naturally lit.

Originally Posted by kellens
Great review points! In my tests, the new 2016 suspension tweaks on the 17" are still worth the trade of wheels if can negotiate at purchase, but agree, it's more supple no matter the wheel. The Ultra Lux is a great package minus the 18" wheels. Worth it for the upgraded leather alone.

The sound isolation seems improved in the 2016 refresh as well on test drives.

Enjoy the new ride! Lexus refresh years seem the best historically IMO aesthetically and mechanically. Glad to see they invested some to spruce up interior, the new offerings from Germany are pushing the envelope.
Thanks, The salesman did mention that it is quieter (Actually, he said, I know your car was quiet, but listen to this…lol), this could be true, but the ES has always been quiet, so I’ll have to trust you guys on that.
Old 02-14-16, 07:45 AM
Mhobizal
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great review! Thanks for posting. What is the new 2016 costing these days?
Old 02-14-16, 10:17 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Congratulations on the pick up, hope you enjoy all the improvements!
Old 02-15-16, 07:27 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

Some great information in this thread.

I believe the windshield wipers are also new from the 2013 - kind of like the new Michelin Stealth blades. All in all a much improved and very nice model.

Dave Mac
Old 03-01-16, 05:30 PM
imz14u2nv
Driver

Originally Posted by Dave Mac
Some great information in this thread.

I believe the windshield wipers are also new from the 2013 - kind of like the new Michelin Stealth blades. All in all a much improved and very nice model.

Dave Mac
03-01-2016:
Front Center Armrest:
I held off on commenting on this item until I was convinced it was not just because the car was brand new. I have noticed that the Leather on the Center Front Armrest is a lot more robust, what I mean by this is that in my 2013 my elbow left a dimple on the leather very early on, In the 2016, I have noticed that it is not as prone to the dimple issue as if the material and craftsmanship is of higher quality, still very comfortable but less likely to pull apart/dimple.
Old 03-02-16, 04:40 AM
Brn2fish
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

imz14u2nv, congratulations on a new car and thank you for the great review. IMO it is much more useful and informative than those magazines reviews.
Old 03-02-16, 05:43 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,015 Likes on 693 Posts

Originally Posted by imz14u2nv
03-01-2016:
Front Center Armrest:
I have noticed that the Leather on the Center Front Armrest is a lot more robust.
I don't believe that the material that is covering the center armrest is actually leather. It is, instead, either the same NuLuxe material used on the seats of the base ES or some other man-made leather substitute.
Old 03-02-16, 05:46 PM
imz14u2nv
Driver

Originally Posted by Brn2fish
imz14u2nv, congratulations on a new car and thank you for the great review. IMO it is much more useful and informative than those magazines reviews.
Thanks, I really like the ES and anything I can do to help others make an informed decision I am more than happy to assist with.

Originally Posted by lesz
I don't believe that the material that is covering the center armrest is actually leather. It is, instead, either the same NuLuxe material used on the seats of the base ES or some other man-made leather substitute.
You could be correct on the material itself, I know on the 2013 it was actual leather (That car was also an Ultra Luxury Edition), but my dog would make scratches in it as he likes to ride with back paws on rear seat and front paws on Center front armrest. I started covering it, but I know it dimpled pretty easily as the leather was more slack or not glued to the padding. On the new car I have noticed that the material could be man-made as it does not have the same natural looking sheen as the previous one, but looks like it will hold together better and is still nice and comfortable.
Old 03-02-16, 06:00 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by imz14u2nv

You could be correct on the material itself, I know on the 2013 it was actual leather (That car was also an Ultra Luxury Edition), but my dog would make scratches in it as he likes to ride with back paws on rear seat and front paws on Center front armrest. .
My ES is a 2013, and I am 100% certain that the cover on the center armrest is not leather. As I said above, I think it might be NuLuxe, but, if it isn't, it is some other form of fake leather. If you check closely, you will see that the material does not have the same feel as the actual seating surfaces, which are the only places where there is genuine leather. Instead, it has the same feel as the sides and backs of the seats, which are not genuine leather. One of the things that I have noticed about that material is that it is (at least, to an extent) self-healing. I had a puncture in mine from the point of a ball point pen, and the hole quickly disappeared, which it would not have done if it was real leather.
Old 03-02-16, 06:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,748 Likes on 1,965 Posts

I would also agree that the console armrest has not been leather. It was not leather on my 2013 GS with semi-aniline leather, nor is it leather on my 2015 LS460. Would be very surprising if it was leather on the ES.
Old 03-02-16, 07:22 PM
imz14u2nv
Driver

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I would also agree that the console armrest has not been leather. It was not leather on my 2013 GS with semi-aniline leather, nor is it leather on my 2015 LS460. Would be very surprising if it was leather on the ES.
I most definitely agree that the material on the armrest (Whatever it is) is not even close to the the quality and feel of the semi-aniline leather on the seats and they are even nicer on the 2016 than they were on the 2013, every time my hand makes contact with them, I think “These are much nicer than the previous seats”, of course having the extra padding in the new seats don’t hurt either.

Last edited by imz14u2nv; 03-03-16 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-03-16, 07:48 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

A good guideline is leather covered seating areas. Most other surfaces are usually synthetic. Some sales materials will specify this, while others are more vague.
Old 03-21-16, 12:39 PM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Since the 2016 was a refresh year, can we assume that there will be nothing significantly different for 2017? I ask a salesperson this , and he said that the 2017 ES and GS are not expected to have any changes - does this sound reasonable?
Old 03-21-16, 01:26 PM
jollick
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by bostonsnow
Since the 2016 was a refresh year, can we assume that there will be nothing significantly different for 2017? I ask a salesperson this , and he said that the 2017 ES and GS are not expected to have any changes - does this sound reasonable?
Yes it is reasonable.
Old 03-21-16, 01:56 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bostonsnow
I would be shocked if there were absolutely no changes, but any changes are likely to be quite minor.

Typically, any changes might include things like changing trim pieces, like door handles, from body color to chrome or from chrome to body color, minor changes in interior trim, changes in available interior or exterior colors, etc. I also wouldn't be surprised if there were minor improvements in the entertainment system, such as adding compatibility with more devices or improving the system's ability to use voice commands.

Quick Reply: Picked up 2016 Lexus ES 350 Ultra Luxury Edition on 01/12/2016