ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Warming up a cold engine?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-16, 10:36 AM
isfdude
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by chromedome
How long does it take for the main catalytic converter to get warm enough to reduce emissions? I guess that should be the minimum idle period, after that you should drive away gently to warm up the rest of the drivetrain.

On the hybrid, I've noticed that the engine will fire up on really cold days even with a lot of battery charge, but it runs for a short while only. It's like they programmed the ECU to get the cats to operating temperature while stationary, instead of having a cold engine start up when the car's moving.
Certain engines will get warmer faster than others, i've noticed newer 4 cylinder engines warm-up within two or three minutes. Every setup is different.
Old 02-07-16, 07:15 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Originally Posted by isfdude
I have tested a few engines with this, If the weather is below 30 degrees and you just start and go you will cause damage to your transmission and the fluid has to reach a certain temp to have The optimum protection that it offers. Also notice that your engine is a little louder on really cold days... This is because oil hasn't fully coated certain parts yet until it thins out. it won't be good to put it under any load other than idling. When parts warm up they expand so if this is don't too fast I don't see this being good for your engine gaskets. Just like your body... You can't just start doing things without warming up unless you will end up doing permanent damage eventually.
If this were the case, Lexus would have recommended a procedure for warming the engine up in the owner's manual.

The components of an engine are not like the components of your body. You "warm up" your body before exercise to stretch out and limber up your muscles and tendons so they can stretch to their maximum and perform without tearing and cramping.

Your body is a living being, an engine is just a machine composed of metal and rubber components lubricated by oil and cooled by fluid. Metal doesn't need to "limber up" and all of the components are tested and rates to tolerate certain temperatures, those temperatures are way colder than what we're talking about.

Toyota also uses now lower viscosity 0W20 oil which doesn't take as long to get to all the points of lubrication even when cold, that's specifically why they started using it.

I've had Lexus vehicles upwards of 200,000 miles and have never idled to warm up, and have never experienced an engine or engine component failure, or a transmission of transmission component failure. Just use common sense. Let it idle for 20 seconds or so, and don't hammer it for a few miles.
Old 02-07-16, 11:48 AM
autotech13
Advanced

Received 197 Likes on 149 Posts

SW15LS is perfectly right!
Old 02-07-16, 12:06 PM
lex_rx
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Or if the car is inside the garage and you don't have a block heater installed, just turn on the garage light for an hour before you leave.:-)

Next winter, I will get the parabolic heater from Costco for C$80 and maybe turn it on for 5-10 minutes while I make the coffee for the road. It will warm up both the interior and the exterior.

My 2011 is the first of the four cars I've owned that doesn't have a block heater. My garage now is, however, about 10-14 degree Celsius warmer when it's at least -15 degrees Celsius outside.
Old 02-08-16, 01:03 AM
isfdude
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW15LS
If this were the case, Lexus would have recommended a procedure for warming the engine up in the owner's manual.

The components of an engine are not like the components of your body. You "warm up" your body before exercise to stretch out and limber up your muscles and tendons so they can stretch to their maximum and perform without tearing and cramping.

Your body is a living being, an engine is just a machine composed of metal and rubber components lubricated by oil and cooled by fluid. Metal doesn't need to "limber up" and all of the components are tested and rates to tolerate certain temperatures, those temperatures are way colder than what we're talking about.

Toyota also uses now lower viscosity 0W20 oil which doesn't take as long to get to all the points of lubrication even when cold, that's specifically why they started using it.

I've had Lexus vehicles upwards of 200,000 miles and have never idled to warm up, and have never experienced an engine or engine component failure, or a transmission of transmission component failure. Just use common sense. Let it idle for 20 seconds or so, and don't hammer it for a few miles.
Ok and I used to manage Bayridge Lexus. I quit when I opened my own shop. I had a 2006 is350 now in a show case in New Jersey because the car has 800k on the original engine and transmission. Lexus doesn't want many owners to get well over the 100k mark because they won't make money selling parts or cars. On really cold days your engine is louder because the oil hasn't thinned out to get to very small passages in the engine. Even oils like 0w20... I had a few guys blow their engines because they were using oil too thin and beat on their cars. I've replaced so many parts in the dealership and every customer I asked how they drive and if they let it warm up for even 3 min and almost all said they press the button and drive. I build performance engines for many people in the past and have been working on cars for 20+ years. I love what I do. You can do what makes you happy but it's just my opinion.
Old 02-08-16, 01:05 AM
isfdude
Lead Lap

Also notice that your car will have less power when you drive it hard when it's cold. Don't believe me try it and I bet as soon as the needle goes up one third you will have more power.
Old 02-08-16, 01:41 AM
irishbrahm
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

I usually wait until the engine kicks down from fast idle to about 1000 rpm. This takes about 20-30 sec. from a cold start.
Old 02-08-16, 05:13 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 642 Likes on 482 Posts

Lexus doesn't want many owners to get well over the 100k mark because they won't make money selling parts or cars.
Candidate for the most ridiculous statement of the month!
Old 02-08-16, 06:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Whether you managed a dealership or not, we belong to the biggest Lexus forum in the world. Where are the transmission failures just past 100k? Engine failures? Where are those? Where is there any evidence that Toyota as a company participates in the sort of planned obselencense you're talking about here? Toyota is very proud of their long term reliability, its one of their main selling propositions, the idea that they would omit instructions that would cause owners to have dramatically shorter engine and transmission life is absurd IMHO.

If you were involved in dealership management you would know that people don't on the whole wait until their car wears out to buy a new one, and somebody who has premature engine or transmission failure is not going to come back and buy a car of the same brand. Toyota is not so short sighted. Domestic makes in the 80s were...and look at the result of that.

Last edited by SW17LS; 02-08-16 at 06:29 AM.
Old 02-08-16, 08:08 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

I've seen TV commercials for motor oil stating that the vast majority of engine wear occurs between the time you start the vehicle and the time when optimal operating temperature is reached. If you start the vehicle and start driving a few seconds later (at relatively low RPMs), yes, you are driving before those optimal temperatures are reached, but, if you let the vehicle idle to warm it up for, say, 10 minutes before driving, it will take longer for the engine and other components to reach optimal temperatures. So, it is 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.

As I stated in an earlier post, modern engine tolerances and modern lubricants are so much better than they used to be, and engine wear that occurs before optimal operating temperatures are reached is much less than it once was, and it has been decades since I've seen knowledgeable mechanics or vehicle manufacturers recommend letting a vehicle idle to warm it up before starting to drive when temperatures are cold.

Like others, I haven't warmed up vehicles before driving for decades, and I've never had any issues with the engines or other components on any of the vehicles that I've owned. Also, like others, I think that it is ridiculous to think that Toyota and other manufacturers would recommend doing something that causes premature engine wear so that they could make more money on repairs. High reliability ratings mean more to the bottom line of an automobile manufacturer than any money that they could possibly make from repairing or replacing engines.
Old 02-08-16, 01:25 PM
isfdude
Lead Lap

Look we can argue the fact out.. It's not going to change anyone's mind. So you do what makes you happy and I will do the same.
Old 02-08-16, 02:01 PM
12jimmyjam
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
Candidate for the most ridiculous statement of the month!
This. Lexus has a rediculous reliability rating. I drove my 00 ES for 270k miles and only had to replace one wheel bearing. I sold it because I was tired of it. For a company that doesn't want their cars to last more than 100k, it sure looks like the vast majority of them can or do.
Old 02-08-16, 02:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Look we can argue the fact out.. It's not going to change anyone's mind. So you do what makes you happy and I will do the same.
And thats totally fine, do what you like but don't tell people that if they don't let their cars warm up before driving them they will have engine and transmission failures "sooner or later" or that Lexus doesn't design its cars or want their customers to get more than 100k of life out of them...because those statements aren't true.
Old 02-11-16, 01:32 PM
gemigniani
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by autotech13
Correction, a cold engine idling 5-10 minutes in the driveway will have more engine wear.
Wear of what parts, specifically, and of what consequence? Loss of cylinder compression over time due to mechanical piston ring/cylinder wall wear or valve face or seat wear? No, that will not happen, because whatever extra mechanical wear might occur will not be enough to cause a drop in cylinder compression.
Old 02-11-16, 02:06 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,286 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by irishbrahm
I usually wait until the engine kicks down from fast idle to about 1000 rpm. This takes about 20-30 sec. from a cold start.
I think that this information just about meets everyone's criteria and that it is valid. I've been doing this exact procedure for years. Even with the '66 Corvette where you have to set the choke before starting and "goose" it to bring down the idle...

Quick Reply: Warming up a cold engine?