ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Is Lexus/Toyota refreshing the 3.5L V6 for 2017?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-16, 11:47 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,306 Likes on 909 Posts

No need for an extended warranty as Les has stated. Save your money...
Old 02-09-16, 02:19 PM
Universe93
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Agreed. No way on the extended warranty for a Lexus. You can think about it you're buying a German car, but for us? Nahh
Old 02-09-16, 02:22 PM
brboot
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would sacrifice a few mpg all day long to have a smooth engine and transmission like in our 13 ES350. The transmission is always in the right gear and kicks down when you need it. These 8 and 9 speed autos are notorious for being in the wrong gear and reluctant to downshift when needed. Acura is one of those with these issues. I am sure someday they will get it right, but I would not want one right now. We also have been know to get 34 to 35mpg on a trip. Mostly we get 31-32mpg and 25mpg mixed driving. Also keep in mind it takes regular gas!
Old 02-09-16, 08:19 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
As far as the extended warranty is concerned, extended warranties are among the biggest profit generators that automobile sales personnel have available to them. If the sales person or sales manager can convince you to buy an extended warranty, he/she can sell you the car for below invoice and still turn the deal into a high profit sale. If car buyers had any idea at all of how much the markup is on extended warranties, I am confident that very few extended warranties would ever be sold for Lexus vehicles or for the vehicles from any manufacturer. Further, when you consider what is covered by the basic warranty and the additional drive train warranty, the amount of additional "protection" that you are getting from an extended warranty is really quite minimal.

Just actually experienced this two weekends ago, when i went with a friend to buy a car. They were looking at a CPO honda(2013), and ended up deciding to negotiate on it. We got the salesman down to just a few hundred over invoice- they were very motivated to sell, as it was the last day of the month. Then the extended warranty pitch came out. We had already talked about it beforehand, and decided that we were going to opt out of it. The warranty starting price was $2495(5/100), but when we told him we weren't interested, the price quickly dropped to $1895. When we still wouldn't bite, he went and talked to his manager, and the price dropped again, to $1650. Needless to say he was pretty disappointed that he couldn't sell it to us. Got fitted rubber floor mats out of the deal too!
Old 02-10-16, 05:52 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,306 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by mspearl95
Just actually experienced this two weekends ago, when i went with a friend to buy a car. They were looking at a CPO honda(2013), and ended up deciding to negotiate on it. We got the salesman down to just a few hundred over invoice- they were very motivated to sell, as it was the last day of the month. Then the extended warranty pitch came out. We had already talked about it beforehand, and decided that we were going to opt out of it. The warranty starting price was $2495(5/100), but when we told him we weren't interested, the price quickly dropped to $1895. When we still wouldn't bite, he went and talked to his manager, and the price dropped again, to $1650. Needless to say he was pretty disappointed that he couldn't sell it to us. Got fitted rubber floor mats out of the deal too!
Ha! Good story and an even better job at bargaining... Good Luck with the new car!
Old 02-10-16, 06:06 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,017 Likes on 695 Posts

Originally Posted by mspearl95
And what would, I think, really shock most people is how much profit that dealership still would have made if it had been able to sell you that extended warranty even at that significantly reduced price.

It has been a good number of years since I was "inside" the car dealership industry, but I doubt that much, with regard to extended warranties, has changed since then, and, at that time, dealers were typically selling extended warranties at prices that were 8-10 times what was the actual cost of those warranties to the dealerships. That is why, even when a dealer sells a customer an extended warranty at, say, 1/2 of its "normal price", that dealership is still making an enormous profit.
Old 02-10-16, 06:27 AM
chrisexv6
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot of people arent aware that you can actually purchase the extended warranty anytime during the original factory warranty. Granted, they like to throw "great deals" at you while you are signing on the car itself, but chances are you will get a good deal later on too (I was mailed a few for the last new car I bought)

I actually like to use not buying it to my advantage. If something major goes wrong with the car during the factory warranty, I find that a manufacturer will have very little problem writing a letter extending your bumper to bumper, Essentially giving you a free extended warranty anyway. Honda did it without question for me when my 1200 mile old Accord blew the transmission (incidentally enough, that was the beginning of Honda/Acura transmission problems back in MY2000)

As far as updating drivetrains...one of the single biggest "pros" to us for the ES *was* the old drivetrain. By now its been perfected. The transmission is predictable and consistent and returns excellent MPG even with "just" 6 speeds. The engine is great and reliable. The ES is my wife's car, and she drives my kids around the most, so reliability was more important than new tech and uber mpg (BTW, the 9 speed in the TLX only gets into 9th gear at 85mph.....so its basically an 8 speed in the real-world)
Old 02-10-16, 04:21 PM
kellens
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The current engine is perfect! Tuning changes, Ok, but I'd give up a few MPG and "new" for
-proven
-quiet
-smooth
-easily worked on and known to mechanics
-reliable
-powerful

Plus, gas costs less than water right now. A new tranny? ok, but then, i'd probably wanna skip a year to let some bugs get worked out. Though Lexus wayyyyy better than most at this.
Old 02-13-16, 08:47 AM
pampas
Driver School Candidate

I don't understand you guys with this gas consuption worries in the states, gas is so cheap there that for us is a joke,if you can afford a lexus you can afford the gas,
Old 02-13-16, 09:00 AM
mmartin061
banned

Originally Posted by pampas
I don't understand you guys with this gas consuption worries in the states, gas is so cheap there that for us is a joke,if you can afford a lexus you can afford the gas,
Amen to that. Otherwise just trying to play cool I work in ND we have taken a huge hit. People now won't have to complain about 4.50 gas but they won't complain about $5 cup of Starbucks they drink every morning either lol
Old 02-13-16, 09:13 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mmartin061
Amen to that. Otherwise just trying to play cool I work in ND we have taken a huge hit. People now won't have to complain about 4.50 gas but they won't complain about $5 cup of Starbucks they drink every morning either lol
So true!