Old 02-17-16, 05:06 AM
Brn2fish
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 ES350 factory order

Hello all!
New to the forum but old Lexus owner.
Just wanted to introduce myself.
Yesterday I put a deposit on factory order of my new ES: Atomic Silver, Black leather, Nav pkg, Luxury pkg, Safety system, Int pknig, panorama roof, BSM, htd wheel, etc.

This is my second Lexus (currently driving 2002 ES300) and third in a family (son drives 2013 IS250).

Thought its time to say good buy to my old one and jump into new one. Dealer was quite vague to proceed with my selections but anyway, we end up with factory order.

Was able to knock down $4K off MSRP. Not sure if I am getting a good deal...

Also they did not want to disclose a firm price saying in case if during the cycle of production cost will change, that will affect the final price. I am not very comfortable with this and I am wondering what is your folks take on this?

Anyway I can't wait till May when my new ride will arrive.

Happy driving everyone!

Jack
Old 02-17-16, 05:37 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

Welcome - you will like it here.

I special ordered a 2016 in September (delivered in December) and I guess the deal was similar, a discount from list price or in my case a markup over "invoice", but the explanation that the cost may change is kind of strange. What changes, almost month to month or even more often is the incentives and lease and finance terms. In my case the incentive increased by $500 just days before I took delivery and that was passed on to me. I would not expect a price increase.

Enjoy the car - when it arrives, you may not enjoy the wait but it will be worth it.

Dave Mac
Old 02-18-16, 04:03 AM
Brn2fish
Rookie

Thanks Dave.
I am sure will enjoy the car.
However I am not comfortable with dealer's approach.
In my opinion customer should know the price when he agreed to buy a product. With all known variables (MSRP, discount, sales tax) it is not quite fair to refuse to provide buyer with price of the product. How buyers can arrange the payment if price will be communicated to him when car will arrive?

I am waiting on Lexus input on this situation.

I am sure that car will drive fine but process of getting it will not be smooth.
Old 02-24-16, 04:38 AM
Brn2fish
Rookie

My salesman told be that my order has been placed. I am almost happy with exception a couple of things:
- Lack of tracking information.
- Pricing situation. I do not like when dealer is pushing me to Lexus saying that cost of production may vary. Lexus is pushing me back to the dealer, saying that it is an agreement between dealer and me about the price.
Old 02-24-16, 07:12 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Dealer should provide you with tracking info - not in great deal but projected production date, shipping and arrival once its is scheduled for assembly. They used to even provide the shipping vessel name or number and you could track it all the way across the ocean - won't matter now that most 350's are being made in Kentucky.

I agree with Lexus in saying that the dealer sets the pricing and as I think I said earlier the msrp doesn't change often - maybe once a year and never down - but the incentives do change almost from month to month. I forgot whether it is a 350 or 300h that you are getting - with gas prices down incentives on the 300h may be good.

I have special ordered 5 Lexus and have always had a good experience. There is a little uncertainty early before the order is accepted but once the order is in everything goes well and pricing is never a problem. Sometimes (actually often) you have to include something to get just what you want - once it was the rear sunscreen had to be included and most recently I had to order the $40 optional wheels to get 17" wheels and tires. What you can certainly do is delete all of the high markup port installed options if you don't want them - even if the car is already enroute.

It sounds like your dealer is trying to push you towards buying a car out of inventory.

Dave Mac
Old 02-24-16, 09:27 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,306 Likes on 909 Posts

I wouldn't order nor complete a deal with any dealer that wouldn't give me a firm price. Never heard of such a thing. Lexus Corp. is correct; your deal (and beef) is with an independent dealer selling Lexus cars. I'd go to another dealer or buy another car. Pure BS.
Old 02-24-16, 11:13 AM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Brn2fish
Hello all!
New to the forum but old Lexus owner.
Just wanted to introduce myself.
Yesterday I put a deposit on factory order of my new ES: Atomic Silver, Black leather, Nav pkg, Luxury pkg, Safety system, Int pknig, panorama roof, BSM, htd wheel, etc.

This is my second Lexus (currently driving 2002 ES300) and third in a family (son drives 2013 IS250).

Thought its time to say good buy to my old one and jump into new one. Dealer was quite vague to proceed with my selections but anyway, we end up with factory order.

Was able to knock down $4K off MSRP. Not sure if I am getting a good deal...

Also they did not want to disclose a firm price saying in case if during the cycle of production cost will change, that will affect the final price. I am not very comfortable with this and I am wondering what is your folks take on this?

Anyway I can't wait till May when my new ride will arrive.

Happy driving everyone!

Jack
I dont understand how they can tell you they are taking "$4k off the MSRP" and yet at the same time that the price may vary. I would be very worried that that $4k discount off MSRP is going to vanish. If you have to do it this way, fine, but the terms should be also that you can walk away once the car arrives if you don't like the price at that time. Of course then, you would have wasted a few months...

I am thinking about the ES300h but not entirely sure of the combination of features I want. Could you not find that combination at a dealer somewhere around, or ask your dealer to look around and get one for you, even if it is from several hours drive away? sometimes they will do such things....

This sounds like a dicey situation. For my situation - I think that I will end up compromising on what I want, and take something off a lot from a dealer in the area rather than doing a special factory order....
Old 02-24-16, 11:45 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,306 Likes on 909 Posts

Another issue with ordering custom option car is that when it comes in and there's any damage, i.e. scratches, dents, anything broken, this is your car unless you reject it and start over. And dealers can get real sh&%#y about canceling a special order vehicle. Buying a car from existing inventory has the plus of you can see the car there and make a judgment if you want it or not. Happened to me with a pickup truck where the hood was severely damaged. I rejected that truck and selected another - undamaged...

Add to this that the dealer's doing a dance about the price and I'd have second thoughts...

Last edited by bc6152; 02-24-16 at 11:52 AM.
Old 02-24-16, 01:04 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Originally Posted by bc6152
Another issue with ordering custom option car is that when it comes in and there's any damage, i.e. scratches, dents, anything broken, this is your car unless you reject it and start over. And dealers can get real sh&%#y about canceling a special order vehicle. Buying a car from existing inventory has the plus of you can see the car there and make a judgment if you want it or not. Happened to me with a pickup truck where the hood was severely damaged. I rejected that truck and selected another - undamaged......
That is a concern and I am always aware of when the car is to arrive and arrange to see it within hours (usually minutes) of the time of arrival. Most shipping damage is repaired (very well) at the port and that is noted on the inventory report - I believed called the daily report - so without that information most damage is never known.. You have a clue when the car doesn't make one of the milestones on time. But yes, I do worry about it and always have a written agreement that my deposit is refundable. If after 90+ days that did happen to me I would probably cave and just pick something else. My special orders aren't that unique - usually something like the power trunk or certain wheels.

Dave Mac
Old 02-25-16, 04:56 AM
Brn2fish
Rookie

So far I know that my order was placed with manufacturer and will be notified on any progress.

My problem with current car purchase ordeal is that need to a new car came in ahead of schedule. I was planning to get a car at the year end. But due to my old car behavior, we have decided to pull the trigger earlier.

I used to sell cars before, so I am familiar with the environment and the industry here in Denver.
I knew the guy (salesman) for many years and promised that he will have the opportunity to sell me a car. Just in case I've sent inquiries to other 3 Lexus dealers in the state. One replied with the weird suggestion that I should shop locally, another did not reply at all, one that sold a car to my son wasn't fast for me (as I was planning to complete a deal withing a few days), so my dealership left as one only option. They are about 2.5 miles from my home.
So Gary has made an honest attempt to sell me the car from inventory, however, none of existing or in route automobiles fits me. So - factory order. That $4K discount according to Gary is my personal and will always apply. Fine. I was hoping for grand total (will all taxes and fees) price be equal to MSRP. Worked for me. I already reached for my checkbook, when his manager showed up and made an effort to kick me out. He proceeds with a lecture about fairness to preserve dealership's profitability in case of cost of production changes. That's when I got offended. I've been a customer that particular dealership for as long as I own my current car and spent enough on service and repairs to pay my share of support it's profitability. No need for me to listen to that crap. All I wanted is to put the numbers on the paper, sign, get my signature, collect my deposit and celebrate a deal with a cup of coffee. The guy was so obsessed with squeezing a few extra bucks from me (yes, rear sunshade for a couple of hundred bucks) and preparing me for another price increase with that cost of production thing, that he forgot that he represents the brand and the dealer.

I am not new in car sales and know how factory orders work with BMW and MINI. There are two sheets for every model: one with MSRP for each option, another with dealer's cost.

Dealers also have to disclose if transportation damage will reach some level and it is included in Carfax. But it is very rare. In my 5 year tenure - one occurrence due to the storm. Lexus ES production is in Kentucky so that sea factor will be diminishing.

So that is my almost complete story about how to spoil a car salesman dream deal (order taking).

For me also make little sense Lexus response regarding the pricing. Yes, for the most part, it is an agreement between customer and dealer, but manufacturer plays a significant role in that process also by establishing that infamous "cost of production". Finally, I was able to get a word from Lexus that they do not anticipate any increase in the cost of production between now and May when my car will arrive. I am keeping that card in my sleeve in case if the dealer will try to change the estimated numbers.

So now I am patiently awaiting when my new car will arrive and praying that my old fishmobile will get me to my pleasure spots and back since my fishing season will begin this Saturday.

Sorry for the long story... I am getting old the developing that like to rant...
Old 02-25-16, 05:54 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 158 Posts

I special ordered my 2013 ES300h to get one fully loaded and several others here on CL did also. I had no problems, I even traded in my 2010 HS250 on it and gave it to them upon ordering as to not have it decrease in trade-in value over the 4 months I waited for the car. Everything was signed and pricing agreed upon when I made the deal. I would think, when a dealer orders a car, the price is locked in at that time between him and the manufacturer.
Old 02-25-16, 02:41 PM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Originally Posted by jollick
I special ordered my 2013 ES300h to get one fully loaded and several others here on CL did also. I had no problems, I even traded in my 2010 HS250 on it and gave it to them upon ordering as to not have it decrease in trade-in value over the 4 months I waited for the car. Everything was signed and pricing agreed upon when I made the deal. I would think, when a dealer orders a car, the price is locked in at that time between him and the manufacturer.
I'm in the process on getting an ES300h - I'm leaning towards getting an ES300h with the Nav/Mark levinson being very important. It could be Lux or Premium but I DON'T want UL (I dont want to have to deal with having the larger wheels and having to ask dealer to trade them out for smaller wheels etc). Safety package is preferable but could go either way. Am I likely to find this combination on the lots? Have'nt been looking very long so dont have a feel for it yet.
Old 02-25-16, 03:08 PM
Brn2fish
Rookie

Here is a quote from my salesman email: "Company policy on all special orders is that final price will be given when the car is actually built, and we get the information from Lexus. We will notify you as soon as we get the final price. "
Old 02-25-16, 04:57 PM
jollick
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by bostonsnow
I'm in the process on getting an ES300h - I'm leaning towards getting an ES300h with the Nav/Mark levinson being very important. It could be Lux or Premium but I DON'T want UL (I dont want to have to deal with having the larger wheels and having to ask dealer to trade them out for smaller wheels etc). Safety package is preferable but could go either way. Am I likely to find this combination on the lots? Have'nt been looking very long so dont have a feel for it yet.
Check truecar.com for local prices paid. It may be hard to find one with the ML and not be a UL. My 2013 ES300h UL came with 17" wheels as standard. But my 2015 ES350 UL had the optional 18" with Michelin Tires and I cannot say there is much difference in road noise or ride quality.

It could be that the the hybrids only come with 17's as I see this on the Lexus Corporate site. The 18's might be optional.
WHEELS AND TIRES, STANDARD
17-in split-five-spoke alloy wheels with 215/55VR17 all-season tires*
Old 02-25-16, 06:44 PM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Originally Posted by jollick
Check truecar.com for local prices paid. It may be hard to find one with the ML and not be a UL. My 2013 ES300h UL came with 17" wheels as standard. But my 2015 ES350 UL had the optional 18" with Michelin Tires and I cannot say there is much difference in road noise or ride quality.

It could be that the the hybrids only come with 17's as I see this on the Lexus Corporate site. The 18's might be optional.
WHEELS AND TIRES, STANDARD
17-in split-five-spoke alloy wheels with 215/55VR17 all-season tires*
ah , you are right. The ES300h seems to only come with 17 inch. There is no mention of an 18 wheel inch option.

ALso, the Lexus website build feature also shows close match vehicles at nearby dealers, and it does not appear to show any local vehicles that have the ML/Nav yet are NOT UL. So maybe I have to go ahead with UL along with Nav/ML (i.e. the fully loaded $50,000 version), or skip both UL and ML….hmmmm. I wonder if there is a thread somewhere here that shows all the usual package combinations that the dealers stock….

Quick Reply: 2016 ES350 factory order